[net.rec.photo] EV scales

wdr@security.UUCP (William D. Ricker) (08/01/84)

	From: ddb@mrvax.DEC (DAVID DYER-BENNET MRO1-2/L14 DTN 231-4076)
	Subject: EV
	Date: Fri, 20-Jul-84 11:10:28 EDT

	.
	:
	The  Gossen Luna Pro F indicated essentially the same
	exposure, and called  it EV 8. The Soligor Spot Sensor 2, which
	reads directly in EV, said EV  6!  Quick  playing  with  the
	calculator  dial produced the same actual exposure, however.

	Now, I've always thought that EV, meaning exposure value, was a
	standardized system.  It's  used  by  many  manufacturers  to
	indicate  the  max and min sensitivities  of  meters,  for
	example ("at asa 100, from EV -1 to EV 18").  Furthermore,  I
	thought  that an EV number referred to an infinite class of
	equivalent  f-stop  and  sutter speed combinations. It isn't
	relative to the speed of the film.

	Davy  was  wondering  what  the  heck  was going on, so he
	called his friend Stevie  and  asked  him to check what EV 8
	meant to his Sekonic L398c studio meter.  It  turned out to
	agree with the Luna Pro F; and both of them agreed that film
	speed had nothing to do with it.

	The  bloody  Soligor  Spot  Sensor  II  continued  to disagree,
	however. The meanings  of  its EV numbers were
	film-speed-sensitive. They agreed with the other two meters
	only at ASA 100.

	As far as I can tell, after looking through my book collection
	(which wasn't at  all  helpful), and paging through the books
	at a local bookstore, what's going  on is that the Soligor Spot
	Sensor II has a scale that ISN'T EV which it labels as EV!

	Can  anybody  comfirm  or deny this diagnosis? How common is
	the practice of mis-labeling scales as EV when they aren't?

			-- David Dyer-Bennet UUCP:
			...!{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|purdue|shasta|utcsrgv}!
				decwrl!rhea!mrvax!ddb

I do not wish to contradict Brian Diehm, who carefully recommends
cross-calibrating before comparing EVs -- in light of the evidence,
this is good advise.

But.

My Kodak Pocket Guide Gives EV on its Multifunction dial as a function
of Aperture and Shutter speed; (or, by transitivity, of filmspeed and
illumination).  The mathematical relation modeled by the dial is

log2(shutter-duration) + 2log2(fstop number) = EV

Purists may read this as

EV = -log2(shutter in seconds) + -2xlog2(aperture in focal lengths)

I have an ancient little silicon cell meter, which clips in the shoe.
It reads only EV given film speed has been empirically demonstrated to
use this definition of EV.  I have found this formula handy for setting
the camera without looking up tables.  (As a computer scientist !?! I
am more at home with Log2 than Log10 or ln anyway.)

Kodak's definition may not be standard, but it is elegant and useful.

Note that the magazines and Ads always say EV AT ASA 100 (or ISO 100).
Given the illumination, the EV is dependant on the film speed, or on a
standard film speed.  Any meter which reads out an EV independent of filmspeed
is probably giving you Asa/Iso 100 EVs.  If it doesn't, then its really weird.

Note: DIN film speeds(the other half of ISO nomenclature) are 3log2(ASA)+C
for some constant C.  Thus a DIN is a third-stop. This corresponds to the
ASA ratings of 25,32,40,50,64,80,100,128,160,200,256,320,400, etc.,
which are rounded in commerce.  The DIN scale has the nice property that
adding 10 to the DIN is the equivalent of multiplying the ASA by 100.
(as 2^10 ~~ 10^3, 2^10/3~~10)  Somewhere in one of the recent magazines
there is an article relating foot-candles to ASA & exposure....

Happy shooting..

--

  William Ricker
  wdr@mitre-bedford.ARPA					(MIL)

Opinions are my own and not necessarily anyone elses.  Likewise the "facts".