[net.rec.photo] Multiple exposures ??

tatge@hpfcms.UUCP (tatge) (11/30/84)

I'm new to 35mm (I've done a lot of Super 8) and I just bought a
Pentax Super Program.

Surprise!!! I can't figure out how to take multiple exposures with the
thing.  Considering it will do everything but butter my toast in the
morning, I can't figure this out.

Anybody have any helpful hints?

                   George Tatge
		   Fort Collins, CO
		   hplabs!hpfcla!tatge

bees@drutx.UUCP (DavisRB) (12/05/84)

If your 35mm SLR doesn't have a builtin way to do multiple exposure,
try the following:

Everyone has a little button on the bottom of the camera under the
winder to release the film for rewinding, right?  (At least most do.)
If you hold the button down while thumb winding the film, the camera
will reset for another shot, but the film will not advance (you hope).
What I mean is it MAY not advance.  It may, however, move slightly
either way, so this trick is not always successful.

Try it.  The results will probably depend on your camera.

Ray Davis
AT&T Information Systems Laboratories, Denver
{ihnp4, houxe, stcvax!ihnp4}!drutx!bees, (303)538-3991

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (12/05/84)

The rewind button trick works all right on the Canon AE-1, too.  But
does anobody know how to do this on a camera with a built-in
winder/rewinder.  Namely, I'd like to know if anybody has figured this
out for the new Canon T-70.

		\tom haapanen
		watmath!watdcsu!haapanen

rsg@cbscc.UUCP (Bob Garmise) (12/05/84)

I agree, except I've always been told to:
  1) backwind the film until it's tightly wound, then...
  2) press/flip the release button/knob
  3) thumb wind the film as if you were advancing to a new frame
  4) un-press/un-flip (are those words?) the release button/knob
  5) take the second picture
Now for my question...let's say you're taking a picture of a lake and it's a
sunny day. On top of that you wish to multiply expose a car to make it look
like the car is hovering over the lake. For the sake of argument let's also
say the proper settings for each individual picture would be:
   1) Lake: f8 at 1/250 sec
   2) Car: f4 at 1/60 sec
To make a multiple exposure, what settings do I use?
...bob garmise...at&t bell labs, columbus...

bll@drutx.UUCP (LewisBL) (12/05/84)

Re: Multiple Exposures with Pentax cameras

I agree with Ray Davis in his suggestion on how to make multiple
exposures (pressing the rewind button on the bottom of the camera
body to cock the shutter without advancing the film).

In fact, on the Pentax ME Super camera (!= Program),
this is the only way (according to the Owner's Manual).

Be careful, though, to press the rewind button only once, and then
release it before operating the film advance lever.  This will insure
that the rewind button resets itself when the film advance lever is
operated.  Holding the rewind button *while* cocking the advance lever
may not allow the rewind button to reset, and you might not advance the
film on the next operation of the film advance, resulting in a triple
exposure where you only wanted double exposure.

Ben Lewis, AT&T Consumer Products, Denver

"You can't keep the birds from flying over your head, but you CAN
 keep them from making nests in your hair."

gino@voder.UUCP (Gino Bloch) (12/08/84)

[expose this line to the bug]

> To make a multiple exposure, what settings do I use?
The general rule is to use 1/n the exposure for each shot of an n-fold exposure.
If n is 2, that means close the lens 1 stop, or double the shutter speed, or
double the ASA/ISO setting.  For programmed automation, the only alternatives
are the film-speed change and the exposure compensation knob (set that toward
UNDEREXPOSURE).  Remember that `n' is linear and `stops' are logarithmic.
Remember to return everything to normal when finished.

Sometimes you may want to break the above rules for esthetic reasons.
--
Gene E. Bloch (...!nsc!voder!gino)
Mr Humility

jans@mako.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (12/10/84)

In article <4257@cbscc.UUCP> rsg@cbscc.UUCP (Bob Garmise) writes:
>  1) backwind the film until it's tightly wound, then...
>  2) press/flip the release button/knob
>  3) thumb wind the film as if you were advancing to a new frame...

A cleaner solution exists for some cameras, notably Olympus OM1, OM2 and some
Cannons.  Many cameras have a ratchet mechanism for the rewind button which
causes it to pop up after re-winding a bit.  This keeps you from leaving the
camera in rewind mode after loading a new roll.  (If your camera instructions
tell you something like "hold in the rewind button while turning the crank",
you probably have such a mechanism.

Follow steps 1) and 2), above, then rewind the film a tiny bit and release
the rewind button.  Continue rewinding until the rewind button pops up -- the
film should not rewind further if there is such a ratchet mechanism.  The
mechanism is usually keyed to fractions of a frame (I think the Olympii take
four rewind-button-pop-up cycles per frame, but it's so easy to find out, I
haven't memorized it.)  To find out how many times to repeat the procedure in
order to rewind exactly one frame, follow step 1), above, note carefully where
the rewind knob/crank is positioned (a grease pencil is great for this), shoot
the first exposure and wind the film slowly, noting how far the rewind knob/
crank has moved, and perform enough of the push-rewind-button-rewind-tiny-bit-
release-rewind-button-rewind procedures to get the rewind crank/knob back to
it's original position.

It sounds complicated, is difficult to describe, and is somewhat more awkward
than the simpler method cited, but it results in much greater accuracy and
removes the requirement to waste a frame on either side of the multi-exposure
shot.  If step 1) is performed prior to the FIRST shot, pin-registration
accuracy can be achieved.  (Auto-processing equipment also tend to get
confused by the first method if registration is off slightly.  Before
discovering the method presented, I got back a roll of slides with every
frame after the multi cut neatly in half, due to sloppy the registration of
the first method!)

As far as I know, this method has not been presented in instruction manuals
or magazines, although it works with every camera I've tried it with.

>Now for my question...let's say you're taking a picture of a lake and it's a
>sunny day. On top of that you wish to multiply expose a car to make it look
>like the car is hovering over the lake. For the sake of argument let's also
>say the proper settings for each individual picture would be:
>   1) Lake: f8 at 1/250 sec
>   2) Car: f4 at 1/60 sec
>To make a multiple exposure, what settings do I use?

The key is to think in terms of exposure value.  Each single f-stop change
doubles or halves the amount of light reaching the focal plane.  Reduce each
exposure by one stop for a double exposure, two stops for a quad, etc:
	Lake:	f11 @ 1/250	OR	f8 @ 1/500
	Car:	f5.6 @ 1/60	OR	f4 @ 1/120
This rule of thumb is sometimes tempered by reciprocity -- if in doubt,
bracket using 2/3 stop and 1 1/3 stop decrease per exposure.
--
:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-161	(w)503/685-2843 ::::::
:::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans	Wilsonville, OR 97070	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::

gino@voder.UUCP (Gino Bloch) (12/11/84)

> The rewind button trick works all right on the Canon AE-1, too.  But
> does anobody know how to do this on a camera with a built-in
> winder/rewinder.  Namely, I'd like to know if anybody has figured this
> out for the new Canon T-70.
I've played with it.  If you hold the rewind button JUST SO (not far enough
to latch, but far enough to declutch), it seems to work.  I'd say that
it's very dicey, however.
Is there a possibility of control from the remote socket or an accessory
back, do you think?
--
Gene E. Bloch (...!nsc!voder!gino)
Mr Humility