[net.rec.photo] 35mm Camera recomendations

ddb@mrvax.DEC (DAVID DYER-BENNET MRO1-2/L14 DTN 231-4076) (12/15/84)

In the range of cameras you describe, your comfort with the controls
is likely to be the primary factor (unless you need to buy really obscure
lenses, and intend to use the camer 8 hours a day, and on the beach, and
in oil refineries, and ...).  Personally I'd recommend the Olympus (I own
Nikons, myself, but I use strictly manual cameras).

I've deal happily with Olden Camera (though not recently), B&H photo, Wall
St. Camera, and Executive.  I've never had real trouble with any mail-order
place, actually; but I tend not to consider dealing with ones that don't list
a pretty complete range of "real" products, and I avoid any with scuzzy
tricks hidden in the fine print of the ads (like off-brand lenses,
manufacturers lense extra).

Given the importance of conformance of the controls to your own view of
reality, you might consider buying locally.  I've purchased 3 cameras
mail-order and 6 in person, over the years.  I find mail-order less
hassle, if I know what I want; but the service a store provides by
letting me spend two hours fondling various models is worth quite a
lot to me when I'm undecided.

		-- David Dyer-Bennet
		-- ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-mrvax!ddb

mlf@teddy.UUCP (12/17/84)

In article <274@decwrl.UUCP> ddb@mrvax.DEC (DAVID DYER-BENNET MRO1-2/L14 DTN 231-4076) writes:

>I've deal happily with Olden Camera (though not recently), B&H photo, Wall
>St. Camera, and Executive.

   Two years ago I bought a radio from Executive.  They charged my Master
Card immediately, lied about the delivery, finally shipped the thing about
ten weeks ARO!  Called the toll-free "order" number, got some oily-voiced
guy who demanded that I call the "customer service" number to check on
my order.  Called "customer service," got same oily-voiced guy.  I wasn't
impressed.

   I've dealt happily with Focus and Adorama.  I refuse to have anything
more to do with Executive.

--

					Matt Fichtenbaum
					"Our job is to rescue fires,