[net.rec.photo] My last word on "LENSE"

keesan@bbncca.ARPA (Morris M. Keesan) (02/05/85)

-----------------------------
Believe it or not, Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary (Merriam-Webster,
1983) lists "lens also lense".  I was amazed.  I still wince when I see the
less-standard form.
--
			    Morris M. Keesan
			    {decvax,linus,ihnp4,wivax,wjh12,ima}!bbncca!keesan

jlg@lanl.ARPA (02/07/85)

> -----------------------------
> Believe it or not, Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary (Merriam-Webster,
> 1983) lists "lens also lense".  I was amazed.  I still wince when I see the
> less-standard form.

It was probably always spelled 'lense'.  Daniel Webster himself probably
introduced the 'lens' spelling as part of his spelling reform campaign.
A way of testing this is to ask our British readers which spelling they
use most - the british remain mostly immune to Websterisms.

J. Giles

Theatre => Theater
Colour  => Color
Thanks Daniel (I think)

paul@wjvax.UUCP (Paul Summers) (02/08/85)

Anyone notice the imaginative spellings of "appacher" that have circulated
around this newsgroup?  And you call yourselves fotograffers ( :-) )!

The correct spelling, of course, is "aperture", meaning "openning"
(Webster's 9th).

-- Sorry, couldn't resist.
--

<*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>

Paul Summers
Watkins Johnson, Co.
2525 N. First St.
San Jose, Ca.  95131-1097

(408) 262-1411 x3203

( {pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix}!wjvax!paul )

Working is fine, but I wouldn't want to make a career out of it.

pkl@daisy.UUCP (Peter K. Lee) (02/09/85)

I remembered one of the etiquette of netnews is not to flame others
about spelling mistakes or use of English.  Am I right?
This is net.rec.photo, not net.lens.vs.lense.

This meta-flame should have gone to net.flame, but ...

--
			-- Peter Lee
			...{ucbvax!amd,decwrl,ihnp4}!nsc!daisy!pkl

[No news is good news]

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (02/10/85)

In article <21179@lanl.ARPA> jlg@lanl.ARPA writes:
>> -----------------------------
>> Believe it or not, Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary (Merriam-Webster,
>> 1983) lists "lens also lense".  I was amazed.  I still wince when I see the
>> less-standard form.
>
>It was probably always spelled 'lense'.  Daniel Webster himself probably
>introduced the 'lens' spelling as part of his spelling reform campaign.
>A way of testing this is to ask our British readers which spelling they
>use most - the british remain mostly immune to Websterisms.
>
>J. Giles
>
>Theatre => Theater
>Colour  => Color
>Thanks Daniel (I think)

it's lens where i come from.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

In article <349@wjvax.UUCP> paul@wjvax.UUCP (Paul Summers) writes:

>The correct spelling, of course, is "aperture", meaning "openning"
>(Webster's 9th).
>
>Paul Summers
>( {pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix}!wjvax!paul )

that's 'opening'.