[net.rec.photo] Canon T-70

sb@cvl.UUCP (Babu Srinivasan) (02/16/85)

            I see that the T-70 camera is being discussed quite a bit
in the recent past. I just want to warn (remind) people who are
considering buying this camera about its power requirements.
In addition to the batteries that are necessary for metering, the
camera requires batteries for its fancy LCD display. (so that if the
main batteries get exhausted in the middle of the roll, the camera
doesn't "forget" the ISO number, mode, film counter value etc.)
The batteries for the display are said to last for about 5 years,
but the catch is that they can be replaced only in the factory.
Camera batteries are known to conk out while they seem to be doing
pretty well and therefore how do you know that the display battery
will not do the same in the middle of a nice vacation far far away
from the nearest camera shop ?

          I hate to buy cameras which have this restriction and
Canon Corp. has not done justice to its (potential) customers by
not mentioning this fact clearly in its ads. It is a good idea to
read the review of the camera in one of the Photography magazines
before spending lot of money buying it.

                                                      Babu

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (02/19/85)

In article <41@cvl.UUCP> sb@cvl.UUCP (Babu Srinivasan) writes:

>            I see that the T-70 camera is being discussed quite a bit
>in the recent past. I just want to warn (remind) people who are
>considering buying this camera about its power requirements.
>In addition to the batteries that are necessary for metering, the
>camera requires batteries for its fancy LCD display. (so that if the
>main batteries get exhausted in the middle of the roll, the camera
>doesn't "forget" the ISO number, mode, film counter value etc.)

Actually, the big power hog is the autowinder.  Metering uses next to
nothing, as the three-year battery life in an AE-1 will attest.

>The batteries for the display are said to last for about 5 years,
>but the catch is that they can be replaced only in the factory.
>Camera batteries are known to conk out while they seem to be doing
>pretty well and therefore how do you know that the display battery
>will not do the same in the middle of a nice vacation far far away
>from the nearest camera shop ?

I'll get mine (yes, I have a T-70) replaced when the camera is about
four years old to be on the safe side.  At this time I'll also replace
the LCD display which is also supposed to last five years...  :-(

>          I hate to buy cameras which have this restriction and
>Canon Corp. has not done justice to its (potential) customers by
>not mentioning this fact clearly in its ads. It is a good idea to
>read the review of the camera in one of the Photography magazines
>before spending lot of money buying it.

I also dislike this restriction, but it wasn't serious enough to
prevent me from buying the T-70.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Don't cry, don't do anything
No lies, back in the government
No tears, party time is here again
President Gas is up for president		 (c) Psychedelic Furs, 1982