[net.rec.photo] Aperture vs shutter priority: which is better?

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (02/06/85)

Does it make a difference if a camera has aperture or shutter
priority? I have a Canon AL-1 and am considering purchasing
a T-70. I kinda like the AL-1 with apreture pririty,
because I can pick an f-stop for depth of field You also get
to see what your camera sees, since the lenses actually stops
down. Whith shutter priority, the lens is wide open until
you actually press the shutter.

Any comments? If anyone has an opinion on the T-70, I'd
appreciate it, specifically, do all the automated Program
modes get in the way or are they good to have?

Marcel Simon
..!ihnp4!mhuxr!mfs

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (02/07/85)

In article <238@mhuxr.UUCP> mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) writes:
>Does it make a difference if a camera has aperture or shutter
>priority? I have a Canon AL-1 and am considering purchasing
>a T-70. I kinda like the AL-1 with apreture pririty,
>because I can pick an f-stop for depth of field You also get
>to see what your camera sees, since the lenses actually stops
>down. Whith shutter priority, the lens is wide open until
>you actually press the shutter.
>
>Any comments? If anyone has an opinion on the T-70, I'd
>appreciate it, specifically, do all the automated Program
>modes get in the way or are they good to have?
>
>Marcel Simon
>..!ihnp4!mhuxr!mfs

actually, with the veritable flood of cameras with both modes of
automation in one, why not get one of those?  (i don't know if the t-70
is both or not.) i have used a canon a-1 and except for the size and
weight, i didn't mind it.  i have also used a minolta xd-11 and found
it easy to get used to.  i plan to be purchasing a pentax me super
program (because i have other pentax a-mount equipment) and it's worth
it.  there are advantages and disadvantages to both kinds of automation
and one can always find a situation where one will fail and the other
will work.  programmed exposure is always handy too.  one small note:
almost all cameras today will meter wide open when they have aperture
priority automation.  you are describing stop-down metering and it is
not the usual mode of operation for these cameras.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

rah@hocad.UUCP (R.A.HORVATH) (02/07/85)

> Any comments? If anyone has an opinion on the T-70.....
> Marcel Simon
> ..!ihnp4!mhuxr!mfs

Just before Christmas, my husband and I went looking at cameras.
The T-70 was one we were interested.  What discouraged us from
buying it was the plastic body and paper shutter.  Other than
that, it is a really nice camera.  Also, I'm not sure if you
have control over the autowinder.

		Ruth Horvath
		AT&T BL HO hocad!rah

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (02/08/85)

In article <238@mhuxr.UUCP> mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) writes:

>Does it make a difference if a camera has aperture or shutter
>priority? I have a Canon AL-1 and am considering purchasing
>a T-70. I kinda like the AL-1 with apreture pririty,
>because I can pick an f-stop for depth of field You also get
>to see what your camera sees, since the lenses actually stops
>down. Whith shutter priority, the lens is wide open until
>you actually press the shutter.

>Any comments? If anyone has an opinion on the T-70, I'd
>appreciate it, specifically, do all the automated Program
>modes get in the way or are they good to have?

I think it does make a difference.  I personally prefer shutter
priority; this is one of the reasons I originally got a Canon AE-1, as
opposed to a Minolta, Olympus, etc., most of which have aperture
priority.  Since I enjoy action and sports photography, I like to be
able to set my shutter speed and not worry so much about the depth of
field.  This is a personal preference, though.  To each his (her?) own
and all that...

I bought a T-70 just before Christmas.  I ind that most of the time I
am using one of the program modes (usually either standard or wide).
When I need to, I switch to shutter priority mode, and I effectively
have an AE-1 in my hand.  I also like having the "spot" metering
option and the power winder built in.  Quite a nice camers.
Personally, I think it's a good buy, especially if you like all the
neat-o digital displays and stuff...  :-)

			\tom haapanen
			watmath!watdcsu!haapanen

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (02/11/85)

> Does it make a difference if a camera has aperture or shutter
> priority? I have a Canon AL-1 and am considering purchasing
> a T-70. I kinda like the AL-1 with apreture pririty,
> because I can pick an f-stop for depth of field You also get
> to see what your camera sees, since the lenses actually stops
> down. Whith shutter priority, the lens is wide open until
> you actually press the shutter.

My camera will go either way.  In addition, you don't have to
have the camera stop down to use aperture-prefered.  There's a
little widgie on the lens that tells the metering what the lens
is set at and what it is capable of doing.

What mode I use depends what I'm doing.  If you're shooting something
moving fast or your shooting hand held in dim light where your shutter
speeds are likely to get low, it's handy to set the shutter speed to
the maximum (or mininum) speed you will tolerate and then let it
pick an aperture.  Of course, for the reason you state, aperture
priority is also handy.

My first camera was aperture preferred only, it did however warn
you when the shutter speeds were getting out of range.  My current
camera, has some way of running in aperture perferred mode and specifying
a limit on speed (at which point it fudges the aperture?) but it only
works in one direction and I don't use it enough (like not at all) to
remember how to do it.

For what it's worth, it is almost always easier to twirl the aperture
ring than it is the shutter speed knob on every SLR I've run into.
I guess that's another plus for a-preferred.  When I run manual (yeah
I know, I could use the +/- automatic exposure compensation widget,
but it's a pain, I can match needles with the best of 'em), I therefore
vary the exposure with the aperture (so I'm sort of s-preferred in
manual mode, for human engineering purposes only).

-Ron

mueller@utah-gr.UUCP (Tim Mueller) (02/11/85)

I use a Minolta xd-5 which has both, but if I had a choice I'd take
the shutter priority. I use the shutter priority mode on my camera
almost exclusively, except when doing macro photos of plants where
I want very precise depth of field.

In shooting landscapes where I want maximum depth of field the shutter
priority really does the trick. If you set your shutter speed at 1/60
(or wherever you're steady) you always get maximum depth of field
without any blurry shots because you shot too slow. The xd-5 also
automatically compensates for going over the maximum f-stop and
increases the shutter speed as necessary. This kind of setting
is also great for just shooting snap-shots with no fuss (newer cameras
have program modes for this). You can still get precise depth of field
with this mode if you have a depth of field preview button, but it
takes a little more fooling around, but when I'm shooting those kind
of photos I'm usally not in a hurry. With aperture priority I find
I'm fooling with the f-stop all the time anyway, which defeats the
purpose of the automation.

Tim Mueller
{inhp4,decvax}!utah-cs!mueller
mueller@UTAH-20.ARPA

ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) (02/12/85)

I rented a canon A<something> back before the days I could afford
a good camera, and found the implementation of the shutter priority
annoying.  There's this big corrigated wheel on the top, see, where
you can hit it every time you wind the film.  I got some strange
exposures with the camera accidentally out of the automatic range.
In my opinion the aperture priority setup is easier to deal with.
Setting a new aperture is the same motion one uses to focus, and many
cameras of this type gives aperture and shutter in the viewfinder,
so you never need to stop shooting to adjust some little knob somewhere.

Just my opinion, of course.  Both systems accomplish the same thing,
and the implementation is the important thing.

	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)
	{pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix}!wjvax!ron
--

	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)
	{pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix}!wjvax!ron

gino@voder.UUCP (Gino Bloch) (02/12/85)

[exposed to the line-eater at 1/250 & f:8]

People who use preset lenses, microscopes, and telescopes cannot use shutter
preferred automatics.  Maybe they can't use aperture-preferred either, though.
They need a stop-down mode that sets the shutter speed for the aperture the
lens is actually set at.  Or manual, of course.

While I'm here, I too want to say that the spelling `aperature' makes me
cringe.  Maybe I hate a's, maybe I hate 3-syllable words.
--
Gene E. Bloch (...!nsc!voder!gino)
The opinions expressed above are accidents.

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (02/13/85)

I guess I'll throw my two cents' worth into the debate, too...

>> Whith shutter priority, the lens is wide open until
>> you actually press the shutter.

That's stopped-down metering.  It's not as nice because far less light
comes through the viewfinder, reducing useability in low light scenes.
The Canon AE-1 (shutter-priority) has a lever you can push for
stopped-down metering (onb full manual only though).

>For what it's worth, it is almost always easier to twirl the aperture
>ring than it is the shutter speed knob on every SLR I've run into.

Really?  On an AE-1 (and T-70 for that matter) it's at least for me
much easier to change the shutter speed than the aperture.  To change
the shutter speed doesn't require moving my finger very far from the
shutter release, whereas for the aperture I have to use my left hand
(and, boy, my left hand doesn't know what the right one is doing!).

			\tom
			watmath!watdcsu!haapanen

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (02/14/85)

In article <953@watdcsu.UUCP> haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) writes:
>Really?  On an AE-1 (and T-70 for that matter) it's at least for me
>much easier to change the shutter speed than the aperture.  To change
>the shutter speed doesn't require moving my finger very far from the
>shutter release, whereas for the aperture I have to use my left hand
>(and, boy, my left hand doesn't know what the right one is doing!).
>
>			\tom
>			watmath!watdcsu!haapanen

yet another 0.02 worth.  the Pentax ME Super series of cameras don't have
a shutter speed dial.  they all use buttons to cycle the shutter speed
up and down when in shutter priority or manual mode.  i have used
one enough to find that the difference is marginal in convenience.
the othe Pentax models use the traditional shutter speed dial and it
is too hard to turn with one finger so the aperture ring is more
convenient to use.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

2141smh@aluxe.UUCP (henning) (02/16/85)

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA aluxe!2141smh

> While I'm here, I too want to say that the spelling `aperature' makes me
> cringe.  Maybe I hate a's, maybe I hate 3-syllable words.

ap-er.ture (ap-er-chur) is a 3 syllable word.  At least yesterday it was.

jmleask@wateng.UUCP (Jim Leask) (02/16/85)

As we all seem to agree there are useful conditions for both
aperture AND shutter priority automatic cameras.  However, there
is a serious problem with cameras that simply allow you to choose
any mode you like (such as the cannon A-1, but of course there are
lots of others).  It seems to be a common problem that all cameras
are  "too slow". For example, you are taking a picture and your
wife (or whoever) says "hurry up, whats taking you so long".  Of
course since the photographer wants the perfect shot using the proper
mode of operation it takes a long time and the subject starts
to throw things at you. :-)
	Anyway, I prefer aperture automation because it seems to be
easier to set the camera quickly to what you want by turning
the aperture ring.  The camera **MUST** have both the aperture and
speed settings in the viewfinder though or this mode of
operation is useless!
			Jim
	Jim Leask	watmath!wateng!jmleask

cff@uvaee.UUCP (Chuck Ferrara) (02/20/85)

	Shutter priority is fine if all you do is take snapshots. I have a
Minolta XD-11, which has both shutter and aperture priority. The only
time I use the shutter priority is when I hand the camera to some one else
and say, "All you have to do is focus." The depth of field preview is much
easier to use (I.e., it's easier to see EXACTLY what you're getting.)
in aperture priority and I don't find reading the shutter speed
display on the right side of the viewfinder exceedingly difficult. It may take
a whole half a second to turn the aperture ring to the right place and it's
rare that I lose a picture because of it. If I'm expecting a "point and shoot"
situation, I might use the shutter priority, but that's the only exception.

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (02/22/85)

> >> Whith shutter priority, the lens is wide open until
> >> you actually press the shutter.
>
> That's stopped-down metering.  It's not as nice because far less light
> comes through the viewfinder, reducing useability in low light scenes.

Full aperature viewing is old, even my old manual pentax did that

> >For what it's worth, it is almost always easier to twirl the aperture
> >ring than it is the shutter speed knob on every SLR I've run into.
>
> Really?  On an AE-1 (and T-70 for that matter) it's at least for me
> much easier to change the shutter speed than the aperture.  To change
> the shutter speed doesn't require moving my finger very far from the
> shutter release, whereas for the aperture I have to use my left hand
> (and, boy, my left hand doesn't know what the right one is doing!).

Well, the shutter knob is usually too stiff to turn without actually
grabbing the knob with thumb and forefinger.  My left hand is always
on the lens (the outside, not in front of) when shooting, because you've
got to focus somehow.  There isn't more than 5 mm separating the focus
ring from the Aperature.

-Ron

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (02/22/85)

> ****                                                                 ****
> From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA aluxe!2141smh
>
> > While I'm here, I too want to say that the spelling `aperature' makes me
> > cringe.  Maybe I hate a's, maybe I hate 3-syllable words.
>
> ap-er.ture (ap-er-chur) is a 3 syllable word.  At least yesterday it was.

Maybe we should just say f-stop.

paul@wjvax.UUCP (Paul Summers) (02/22/85)

Ok, here's my two cents.  I have a Minolta XG-700 (Got it before I knew
what a titanium shutter and 1/120th flash sync were), with which I am very
well please.

My lens of choice is the Tokina f4.5 80-200 zoom. I also have the stock
Minolta f1.7 50mm, and the f2.8 35mm lenses.

Generally, if I'm on a scenic trip, I just leave it in program mode, which
works pretty well in most lighting conditions.

If I'm using the Tokina, and I expect to be taking spontaneous shots (i.e.
no advance warning) I put it in aperture mode, and crank the f ring wide open.
(f4.5 isn't so big that I'll lose too much depth of field).  This is the method
I used when I got several spectacular shots of breaching gray whales off the
Monterey Peninsula, and the exposure was smack on perfect (of course, I made
sure that I wasn't shooting straight into the sun...)

In my experience, aperture and shutter priority can be used in the same manner
if both aperature and shutter are displayed in the viewfinder.  You can force
one with the other.  Low shutter speed forces small aperture, more depth of
field and vice-versa.  Large aperture forces fast shutter, and vice-versa.

Generally, I've found it easier to adjust the f ring than the shutter speed.
(it's a little awkard trying to reach the shutter speed adjustment, you might
get a thumb in the eye if you're in a hurry! :-) )
--

<*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>

Paul Summers
Watkins Johnson, Co.
2525 N. First St.
San Jose, Ca.  95131-1097

(408) 262-1411 x3203

( {pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix}!wjvax!paul )

Working is fine, but I wouldn't want to make a career out of it.

gino@voder.UUCP (Gino Bloch) (02/25/85)

> From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA aluxe!2141smh
>
> > While I'm here, I too want to say that the spelling `aperature' makes me
> > cringe.  Maybe I hate a's, maybe I hate 3-syllable words.
>
> ap-er.ture (ap-er-chur) is a 3 syllable word.  At least yesterday it was.

How about this for an excuse:  being a C programmer, I naturally start
counting from 0.
Or I could just blush.  Yeah, that's what I'll do.