[net.rec.photo] Lens or Lense: Which is Correct?

mccamy@squirt.DEC (01/29/85)

From: "...decvax!decwrl!rhea!Squirt!McCamy"
Merrimack, New Hampshire

Lens and lense are BOTH correct!

2141smh@aluxe.UUCP (S. M. Henning,) (02/01/85)

> Lens and lense are BOTH correct!

Not is Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary or on the UNIX dictionary.
The American Heritage Dictionary doesn't have 'lense' either.

gino@voder.UUCP (Gino Bloch) (02/05/85)

*** REPLACE THIS LENS WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***

> From: "...decvax!decwrl!rhea!Squirt!McCamy"
>
> Lens and lense are BOTH correct!
If you believe that, please make an appointment to see my bridge salesman.
(See the lens-eating line above for further data)

--
Gene E. Bloch (...!nsc!voder!gino)
Support Bulgarian gajda players.

san@peora.UUCP (Sanjay Tikku) (02/27/85)

> From: "...decvax!decwrl!rhea!Squirt!McCamy"
> Merrimack, New Hampshire
>
> Lens and lense are BOTH correct!

  In "American English" it is "lens" for singular and "lenses" for
  plural. I don't think "lense" exists at all. Maybe in "British English"!!

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (03/01/85)

> > From: "...decvax!decwrl!rhea!Squirt!McCamy"
> > Merrimack, New Hampshire
> >
> > Lens and lense are BOTH correct!
>
>   In "American English" it is "lens" for singular and "lenses" for
>   plural. I don't think "lense" exists at all. Maybe in "British English"!!

FINAL DEFINITIVE ANSWER.

First, Random House doesn't list the alternate spelling at all.
Second, Websters lists it with "also LENSE."  This means it is
a less common spelling.  So technically it is correct, however
any reasonable writer will use the primary spellings of words
and not resort to the "it's in the dictionary" arguments to
justify use of the alternates.

Any more on the subject can be had in net.nlang.