[net.rec.photo] Need advice on camera bag and tripod for trip

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (03/01/85)

[?]
I am going on a trip to England this summer, hell bent to photograph
cathedrals (inside and out), misc. architecture (like castles), scenery,
and other good stuff. I need advice on a camera bag(s) and tripod.
All my trips so far have been by auto in the US, so my trusty aluminum
suitcase and old sunset tripod were just fine. I didn't have to carry them
great distances. This time its tote that barge right from the start.
My wife (not a photo bug) will also help with the shooting.

I will be taking A Nikon F (FTN) and Nikkormat bodies plus an Olympus XA.
I will usually be using a Kiron 28-85 and a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 (?).
Plus a few extra lenses like a 24mm, a 35 f2, a 50 f2 but probably <not>
my 400 (Spiratone cheapy-wonder). A Vivitar 283 flash w/xtra batteries
with Vivitar power grip. And Misc. small stuff (Polarizers, filters,
etc.)  Also lots of film - maybe 30 rolls with mailers.(I'm thinking of
maybe 15 KM, 10 EN, 5 EL).

In bags I am leaning heavily towards the Lowepro Magnum 35 except its
so awfully big. I've considered two Mini-Mags, but I don't think they would
hold all the stuff. Oh yeah, I'm also taking a miniature cassette recorder
(the Sony Walkman WM-D6), two Radio Shack Tie Clip mikes and some cassettes.

Outdoors I could easily get by with a monopod, if anything, but in those
neat old cathedrals and castles I think I ought to lug along a 'pod.
Slik has a model 1200G-QL that is a quadropod (sort of) that allows
you to take off part to use as a monopod. Anyone used one? My old sunset
works fine but its 4.5 lbs. Anything  else I would buy would have to be
lighter than that by at least a pound.(the Slik is 45oz)

So...any suggestions?  This is my first query to this newsgroup. I've
read all the history my machine stores on this newsgroup. I hope I have
not inadvertently wandered into some dormant coals like someone wandering
into net.audio and asking if CDs are <really> better than records. If
I have, please excuse me.  Thanks in advance. I gladly accept mail as well
as on-net replies. Will be happy to summarize if there is sufficient interest.

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (03/04/85)

In article <967@hound.UUCP> rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) writes:

>I am going on a trip to England this summer, hell bent to photograph
>cathedrals (inside and out), misc. architecture (like castles), scenery,
>and other good stuff. I need advice on a camera bag(s) and tripod.
>All my trips so far have been by auto in the US, so my trusty aluminum
>suitcase and old sunset tripod were just fine. I didn't have to carry them
>great distances. This time its tote that barge right from the start.
>My wife (not a photo bug) will also help with the shooting.

I'll also be going to Europe in the summer and will need a camera bag.
I currently have a soft bag with adjustable (velcro (TM)) pockets, but
it's a real hassle putting things in it and getting them out.  I would
like an aluminium case for speed, but I don't want a suitcase style
one --- it should be something with a shoulder strap.  The only one
I've seen is a Canon bag in the brochure that came with the camera,
but I have no idea of its cost or quality.  Can anyone recommend a
case like the one I'm describing, or maybe give me more info on the
canon case, or anything?  I'm sure these things exist, because there
were many people carrying them around at the Montreal Grand Prix last
summer...

What I'll want to carry around is a body, a 50/1.8, a 28-55/3.5, a
70-150/4.5, a 300/5.6, a 2x multiplier and a Canon 199A flash, not to
mention assorted film and filters.  I'll be doing probably 50-50
action and architechture/scenery, so I'd want something that's easy to
carry around as well as fast to open and change lenses.

Thanks very much...

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Don't cry, don't do anything
No lies, back in the government
No tears, party time is here again
President Gas is up for president		 (c) Psychedelic Furs, 1982