[net.rec.photo] New technology worth it?

mike@asgb.UUCP (Mike Rosenlof) (02/25/85)

[]

> Is the new technology in cameras (like the new Canon) really worth it?

This may open me up to the flame throwers, but....

As to if all the electronic f&g (flash and glitter), that's one of my
pet peeves so here goes...

I suppose it really depends on what kind of photography you want to
do.  In my opinion, REAL photography requires lots of patience,
thought, and attention to detail.  REAL Photographers (with a capital
'P') must consider all of the variables in exposure, composition,
lighting, and (preferably) processing and their effect towards the end
result of an expressive Photograph.

Lately, the trend in 35mm photography has been toward a different
capital 'P'.  It stands for 'Programmed', 'Point and shoot', and
'Push the button, we do the rest'.  Many of these machines are really
very high quality Instamatics.  They do a wonderful job of recording
events, but all of their programs and motors and auto-everything do
little if anything to advance the Art of Photography.

On the other hand, I'll very quickly acknowledge that the
auto-everything machines are fine tools for the Art of
Photojournalism. - Please note the distinction between what I refer to
as two different Arts, in the same medium.

Mike Rosenlof				   ihnp4!sabre!\
					hplabs!sdcrdcf!-bmcg!asgb!mike
		    { ihnp4, ucbvax, allegra }!sdcsvax!/
Burroughs Advanced Systems Group 		     Boulder, Colorado

P.S.  I'll admit being something of a fanatic on this subject.  My
camera doesn't even have a built in meter, and it rarely leaves its
tripod.  It's a great tool for nature photographs and portraits or
other mostly stationary subjects.  I'd be a fool to try to use it to
photograph a football game.

tony@emory.UUCP (Tony Vincent) (02/27/85)

In article <641@asgb.UUCP> mike@asgb.UUCP (Mike Rosenlof) writes:
>[]
>
>> Is the new technology in cameras (like the new Canon) really worth it?
>
>I suppose it really depends on what kind of photography you want to
>do.  In my opinion, REAL photography requires lots of patience,
>thought, and attention to detail.  REAL Photographers (with a capital
>'P') must consider all of the variables in exposure, composition,
>lighting, and (preferably) processing and their effect towards the end
>result of an expressive Photograph.
>
>Lately, the trend in 35mm photography has been toward a different
>capital 'P'.  It stands for 'Programmed', 'Point and shoot', and
>'Push the button, we do the rest'.  Many of these machines are really
>very high quality Instamatics.  They do a wonderful job of recording
>events, but all of their programs and motors and auto-everything do
>little if anything to advance the Art of Photography.
>
>On the other hand, I'll very quickly acknowledge that the
>auto-everything machines are fine tools for the Art of
>Photojournalism. - Please note the distinction between what I refer to
>as two different Arts, in the same medium.
>
>Mike Rosenlof
===========
I must totaly agree on both accounts.  I have been both a
REAL Photographer (<--notice the capital 'P') and a serious
Photojournalist for many years now.  I own a Canon A-1 and have
been terribly pleased with it... I find that I NEVER do serious
artistic photography with it in ANY of the auto modes (for those
not familiar, it has both aperature and shutter priority as well
as a full programmed mode....and others...).
I do however find that when I am going to be taking LOTS of pictures
of an event (particularly sports where you hardly even have time
to focus) use the shutter priority mode most often and occasionally,
and I do mean occasionally, I use the programmed mode.
I find that aperature priority is a joke at best, since whenever
depth of field really matters I always go manual.
My biggest complait about the A-1 (this is my second A-1)
is that when you are in manual the viewfinder tells you NOTHING
about what your aperature is set at....he (the camera) does
make a suggestion, but he fails to tell you where yours
is set....I highly recomend the A-1 because of it's mostly
brass body... yes, it does make it heavy, but it also makes
it SO MUCH more durable (and if you saw what my camera has
been though, you would NEVER buy one with a plastic body!)
Any questions or comments??  Mail me, or better yet, let's
discuss it here. And speaking of discussions, has anybody
had any really fantastic experiences with a GOOD macro lens?
--
Tony Vincent
Emory University

{akgua,sb1,gatech,decvax}!emory!tony   USENET
tony@emory                      CSNET
tony.emory@csnet-relay          ARPANET

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (02/27/85)

> []
>
> > Is the new technology in cameras (like the new Canon) really worth it?

I agree, one of my criteria in selecting my last camera was that the
manual mode must be convenient in addition to whatever automatic
modes I could get.  The Olympus was discarded because it didn't
even have manual, some other one (Canon? it's been a couple of years)
was too hard to run in non-auto mode.

I admit, that frequently I go into INSTAMATIC mode on my SLR because
I am really taking snapshots.  But, I'll never get used to using the
+/- exposures compensation on program mode (perhaps they should use
lighten/darken like Poloroid does) or taking a reading with the center
weighted meter and then shifting the frame by using manual mode.

-Ron

I own a poloroid 600 too.

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (02/27/85)

In article <1472@emory.UUCP> tony@emory.UUCP (Tony Vincent) writes:
>>> Is the new technology in cameras (like the new Canon) really worth it?
>>
>>I suppose it really depends on what kind of photography you want to
>>do.  In my opinion, REAL photography requires lots of patience,
>>thought, and attention to detail.  REAL Photographers (with a capital
>>'P') must consider all of the variables in exposure, composition,
>>lighting, and (preferably) processing and their effect towards the end
>>result of an expressive Photograph.
>>On the other hand, I'll very quickly acknowledge that the
>>auto-everything machines are fine tools for the Art of
>>Photojournalism. - Please note the distinction between what I refer to
>>as two different Arts, in the same medium.
>>
>>Mike Rosenlof
>===========
>...I find that I NEVER do serious
>artistic photography with it in ANY of the auto modes...
>I do however find that when I am going to be taking LOTS of pictures
>of an event (particularly sports where you hardly even have time
>to focus) use the shutter priority mode most often and occasionally,
>and I do mean occasionally, I use the programmed mode....
>Tony Vincent

i have two Pentax cameras, an MX, which is a fully manual camera that
happens to have a builtin meter (it uses LEDs instead of a needle) and
it doesn't depend upon batteries for functioning, and i have an ME Super
Program, which has programmed, shutter- and aperture-priority exposure
and other modes too (like the Canon A-1) and which is completely
useless when the batteries die.

`artistic' photography is something that i seldom do, but i have to
agree that when doing that kind of work, you can determine exposure at
your leisure and spend your time worrying about composition and
lighting, which is AS IT SHOULD BE.  automation is about as redundant
as it is possible to be.  the automatic exposure and progammed exposure
cameras are for people who either don't have time or don't know how to
expose properly, even with the aid of a meter (builtin or otherwise).

most of the photography that i do would come under the photojournalism
category.  i am an advanced amateur, if my skill level had to be
labelled.  i have sold photo's to people other than my friends, but
that doesn't make me semi-pro or anything.  i find that i tend to use
my ME Super Program in shutter priority most of the time and manual for
a great deal of the rest.  seldom do i use programmed or aperture
priority.  under the typical conditions that i work, i will take
several hundred exposures in a few hour span under varying, though not
wildly varying, lighting conditions.  it is useful to know that my
exposures will not be out by more than a stop or so whether i remember
to change exposures or not, as i have had happen to me with my MX.

both my cameras have winders that i purchased separately.  for the type
of work that i do, they are extremely handy, although by no means
essential.  they are too noisy for some applications.  i have a small
selection of lenses to cover my basic needs and have found that, for me
anyway, lightness is of extreme importance, even more so than
durability.  try carrying a heavy camera, lens, winder, and flash
around your neck for most of a day and you'll know what i mean.

minor flame:  who says photojournalists aren't REAL PHOTOGRAPHERS?
they pay attention to the same things that any other serious
photographer would.  they just don't have as much time to do it and
have to rely more on reflex and experience.  it takes just a much
skill.  i have the suspicion that many photojournalistic photographers
don't do `artistic' photography because they find it boring.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (03/04/85)

> >>I suppose it really depends on what kind of photography you want to
> >>do.  In my opinion, REAL photography requires lots of patience,
> >>thought, and attention to detail.
> minor flame:  who says photojournalists aren't REAL PHOTOGRAPHERS?
> they pay attention to the same things that any other serious
> photographer would.
>
> Herb Chong...

for my two-cents:  in the end, it's the eye behind the camera.  don't
forget that a large percentage of some of the best photos in the world
are taken only because there's a massive number of instamatics and
polaroids out there.  i own three old heavy slrs.  they are throw
away cameras [friends have dropped numerous slrs off cliffs, into
crevices].  i have three because i left on at a lake near canada
only to buy a new one and have the old one returned.  the new
tech can certainly help. and i think photojournalists are photographers.

--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  {hplabs,ihnp4,dual,hao,vortex}!ames!aurora!eugene
  emiya@ames-vmsb.ARPA

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (03/05/85)

In article <641@asgb.UUCP> mike@asgb.UUCP (Mike Rosenlof) writes:

>> Is the new technology in cameras (like the new Canon) really worth it?

>I suppose it really depends on what kind of photography you want to
>do.  In my opinion, REAL photography requires lots of patience,
>thought, and attention to detail.  REAL Photographers (with a capital
>'P') must consider all of the variables in exposure, composition,
>lighting, and (preferably) processing and their effect towards the end
>result of an expressive Photograph.
>
>Lately, the trend in 35mm photography has been toward a different
>capital 'P'.  It stands for 'Programmed', 'Point and shoot', and
>'Push the button, we do the rest'.  Many of these machines are really
>very high quality Instamatics.  They do a wonderful job of recording
>events, but all of their programs and motors and auto-everything do
>little if anything to advance the Art of Photography.
>
>On the other hand, I'll very quickly acknowledge that the
>auto-everything machines are fine tools for the Art of
>Photojournalism. - Please note the distinction between what I refer to
>as two different Arts, in the same medium.

Cameras were originally conceived (in the 1800's) as a recording
devices.  Photography was not considered an art form until much later.
As you define Real Photography, I believe that you're putting much
more of yourself in the picture than you are of the subject matter.  I
pass no judgement on whether that's good or bad, but it does result in
a completely different result from (what could be called) Real
Photojournalism.  In the latter form, the primary concern is the
subject at hand (be it a hockey game, a natural catastrophe or
children playing in a sandbox) and the second concern is composition.
The exposure and lighting you would usually (though not always) want
to be *correct* rather than *expressive*, and programmed (as well as
shutter-preferred and aperture-preferred) cameras go a long way in
helping you achieve this.  About the least useful combination in this
type of photography is a match-needle camera with built-in metering; a
view camera with an external meter just won't do.  Hence the two types
of photography professionals --- the ones carrying F-1's and the ones
that have Hasselblads.

However, I suggest that the two types of photography can both be
called photography.  They could be compared to, say, expressionism and
realism in painting; they're both art, but any given painter will work
with only one of them.  So I submit that a Real Photographer *can*
carry around a Canon A-1 or a Pentax Super Program.  Such a camera
will not force him to *think* about lighting and exposure, and he can
concentrate on the subject and composition, catching dynamic subjects.
It can still be art, can't it?

Not that I mind the label of a Real Photojournalist that much...

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Don't cry, don't do anything
No lies, back in the government
No tears, party time is here again
President Gas is up for president		 (c) Psychedelic Furs, 1982