[net.rec.photo] Nikon FG repairing

zhang@cornell.UUCP (02/27/85)

From: zhang (Zhang Yuan-Kai)

I'd like to put my two cents worth on camera repairing. To those of you
who are highly experieced please skip this message.

One of my friend had trouble with his NIKON FG camera when he shot in cold
weather. The shutter made the first sound of click and stoped with the
mirror up, so nothing could be seen through the viewfinder. He thought
the camera ran out of battery, and changed for a new one. It didn't help.

He turned to me, becuase I'm a little bit more experienced than him. I
checked the camera and released the shutter by turning the speed select
ring to "M" mode. After that, I put in a new battery, and everything is
ok now. My conclusion is that don't change the bettary unless you have
already released the stuck shutter. The bettary will be drained with the
stuck shutter.

By the way, I'm a Nikon FE2 owner, and I had no problem with my camera.
There is a rumor that Nikon FG has more problem than the new mode FG20.
Did somebody out there hear of that or have the same kind of trouble as
mentioned above?

zhang@cornell

ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) (03/04/85)

Re:  Shutter becomes stuck, mirror locks up, battery dies
a horrible death on a Nikon FG.

I have a Nikon FE and exactly the same thing happens to me
every once in a long while.  After the first time, I learned
to shove it over to M90 to unjam it.  I took it to the shop,
but they couldn't find anything wrong with it.  This doesn't
particularly surprise me. Intermittants like this are really
tricky to find.  After spending money at the shop for nothing,
I've decided to live with it until something REALLY fails.

It's odd that others have experianced this condition too.  I
find that surprising, considering Nikon's reputation for reli-
ability.  I guess I should say that my FE gets heavy use and
has only stuck maybe 3 or 4 times in the last year.

Anyone else have this problem?
--

	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)
	{pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix}!wjvax!ron

jmleask@wateng.UUCP (Jim Leask) (03/05/85)

In article <369@wjvax.UUCP> ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) writes:
>>Re:  Shutter becomes stuck, mirror locks up, battery dies
>>a horrible death on a Nikon FG.
>
>I have a Nikon FE and exactly the same thing happens to me
>every once in a long while.  After the first time, I learned
>to shove it over to M90 to unjam it.....

I have a Nikon FE and have not had the mirror stick with normal
use, however I did something else that got it stuck.  I was using
the timer and after I set it I realized that I really didn't want
to take a timed picture.  Since you can't just release the leaver
(or if you can would someone please tell me how) I released the
shutter then pushed in the rewind lever which locks the shutter and
turned off the camera.  I thought that the timer would expire but
since the shutter was locked then it simply would not take the
picture.  WRONG!!  The mirror flipped up, the shutter did not release
but it thought it had.  I couldn't rewind and it wouldn't shoot.
Putting it in M90 released the shutter (wasting the shot) and everything
was fine again.
	As a side note, I really like the Nikon FE.  It is aperture
priority, but has all of the features a good manual camera needs
(both speed and aperture in viewfinder, depth of field, ....)
On of the things I like most is the LACK of dials and lights that most other
cameras seem to have.  It is also one of the few cameras that I have
found that can be completely operated with winter gloves on.
	I am interested in the new Nikon FE2.  It seems to have all of
the good features of the FE with a faster shutter 1/4000 and TTL flash
metering.  I would be interested in hearing the good and bad about this
camera from anyone who owns one.
		Jim Leask	watmath!wateng!jmleask