[net.rec.photo] Will this work?

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (03/18/85)

I have a few venerable Kodaks (can I mention that brand here?) from the
late 40's and early 50's. Some of them, such as the old Pony 135 have a
strange twist-lock connector for the flash.

Is there any reason why I can't take a suitable connector and graft it onto
a standard pc cord? If so, does anyone have a suggestion for what shutter
speed I should use with a normal electronic flash.

[Yes, I do have a nice camera! A Pentax K1000. I'd just like to do this so
that I could check out the camera and as a bit of an exercise.]

Response by mail should be sufficient. I will summarize if there is
interest.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (03/19/85)

> I have a few venerable Kodaks (can I mention that brand here?) from the
> late 40's and early 50's. Some of them, such as the old Pony 135 have a
> strange twist-lock connector for the flash.
>
> Is there any reason why I can't take a suitable connector and graft it onto
> a standard pc cord? If so, does anyone have a suggestion for what shutter
> speed I should use with a normal electronic flash.

Well, seeing the age of the camera, the flash sync is probably not for
electronic strobe (X as we call it) but for triggering flash bulbs.
Flash bulbs are triggered before the shutter, and stay on for a long time
compared to strobes.

-Ron

kanner@tymix.UUCP (Herb Kanner) (03/25/85)

In article <212@moncol.UUCP> john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) writes:
>I have a few venerable Kodaks (can I mention that brand here?) from the
>late 40's and early 50's. Some of them, such as the old Pony 135 have a
>strange twist-lock connector for the flash.
>
>Is there any reason why I can't take a suitable connector and graft it onto
>a standard pc cord? If so, does anyone have a suggestion for what shutter
>speed I should use with a normal electronic flash.

You won't have an electrical problem, but you may have a timing problem.
The real oldies synchronized with flashbulbs, which take a bit of time to
ignite.  I think I remember some cameras which had a two-position control
labelled "M" and "X", the former being for plain vanilla flashbulbs and the
latter being for new-fangled wire-filled bulbs that had a very short
ignition delay.  There also was sold a bulb with a very long peak (~1/25
sec.) which permitted shooting at all speeds, i.e. slit widths, with a
focal-plane shutter.  My unreliable recollection is that in cameras which
had the "X" option, this was usable with both the short-delay bulbs and with
electronic flash.

In answer to your other question:  with a between-the-lens shutter, if you
synchronize correctly at any shutter speed, you do so at all shutter
speeds.

Herb Kanner
Tymnet, Inc.

--