[net.rec.photo] Films...

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (04/02/85)

[]
It is my understanding that the more recent Modern Photography tests
of slide filme show Ektachrome 100 and 400 improved, better than K64
and pushing K25. Not so grainless of course, but color good.
I started with K25 and allowed myself to switch to K64. After some
years of flat looking slides I have decided NO MORE! This year I'm
going with K25, and Ektachrome 100 & 400. Have fingers crossed.

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

sasaki@harvard.ARPA (Marty Sasaki) (04/02/85)

One thing to keep in mind while choosing film is that different color
film has different life times. All color film fades over time, even if
you store the developed film under archival conditions. Last time I
looked Kodachrome had the longest life, followed by Ektachrome, and
lastly all of the color negative films. Other slide films had similar
life times as Ektachrome, and other negative films were similar to
Kodak's.

My memory of the lengths of time is hazy, and the times probably have
changed anyway since the emulsions are always changing.

Which means that if something is important I shoold Kodachrome (usually
25). For normal day to day shooting I like Ektachrome (200 and 400). If
I am going to make lots of prints, I use Vericolor.
--
----------------
  Marty Sasaki				net:   sasaki@harvard.{arpa,uucp}

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (04/03/85)

In article <522@harvard.ARPA> sasaki@harvard.ARPA (Marty Sasaki) writes:
>One thing to keep in mind while choosing film is that different color
>film has different life times. All color film fades over time, even if
>you store the developed film under archival conditions. Last time I
>looked Kodachrome had the longest life, followed by Ektachrome, and
>lastly all of the color negative films. Other slide films had similar
>life times as Ektachrome, and other negative films were similar to
>Kodak's.
>
>----------------
>  Marty Sasaki

another thing to keep in mind is that kodak's professional films have
NO appreciable shelf life.  Kodachrome Professional, Extrachrome
Professional, Tri-X Professional, and Vericolor are designed to be used
IMMEDIATELY.  that's why they should be shipped and kept frozen until
the last possible minute before thawing (as it were) and re-frozen as
soon as possible after exposure.

professional films are designed to have optimal color balance upon
manufacturing and should be purchased in batches for serious work.
tri-x professional is slightly different than regular tri-x and isn't
available in 35mm (i think).  it's base is different.  amateur file is
designed to age into the correct color balance after about 6 or 8
months at room temperature.  there's a kodak guide on their professional
films, but i don't remember the publication number.  other manufacturers
probably do the same thing as kodak, but i haven't seen ads of other
films with "professional" marked all over them.

for color print film, the differences are easily correctable in the printing
process, but many people prefer slides in professional work, and that
means less opportunity to correct the color balance.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu