[net.rec.photo] f/1 lenses

hkr4627@acf4.UUCP (Hedley K. J. Rainnie) (04/19/85)

Since I have no particular interest in Leica Rangefinder equipment, this
question is out of idle curiosity.

Why is it that Leica has the only f/1 lens I've ever heard of?  And why
don't they make it for their SLR line?

The best anyone else seems to be able to do is f/1.2.

-r-

jjd@bbnccv.UUCP (James J. Dempsey) (04/21/85)

> Why is it that Leica has the only f/1 lens I've ever heard of?  And why
> don't they make it for their SLR line?
>
> The best anyone else seems to be able to do is f/1.2.

Cannon used to make a f/0.95 50mm lens for their rangefinder cameras
back in the 1950s.

		--Jim Dempsey--

recais@mhuxv.UUCP (CAIS) (04/22/85)

> Why is it that Leica has the only f/1 lens I've ever heard of?  And why
> don't they make it for their SLR line?
>
> The best anyone else seems to be able to do is f/1.2.

Nikon also made a superspeed lens for their rangefinders
back in the late 50's. It was a 50mm f1.1 nine-element
design. Zunow had a similar lens (available in Leica
screw mount as well).
The Canon 50mm f0.95 made its debut with the Canon 7
rangefinder in the early 60's. It has seven elements.
These lenses were mainly for publicity and prestige
and aimed at the photo journalist. Canon always
upped the ante on competing Nikon RF lenses in an
attempt to be number one.
These lenses are not very practical. They are massive
and heavy, with residual abberations compounded by the
large aperture. The Canon lens has significant flare
and field curvature. The contemporary Leica 50mm f1 is
reported to vignette markedly. The use of aspheric
elements can help but the manufacturing cost does not
justify the extremely limited market.
I have used the Nikon f1.1 and would choose the f1.4
any time image quality is a consideration. The depth
of field of these high speed lenses wide open is
vanishingly small at close distances. In practical
terms flare reduces the working aperture (T-stop)
below the marked value. The bottom line seems to
be that cost, weight, and optical limitations do
not justify the extra half stop in speed over a f1.2.

drraymond@watdaisy.UUCP (Darrell Raymond) (04/22/85)

  There are a couple of good reasons for restricting f/1 lenses to
rangefinders.  The first is focusing accuracy.  Depth of field at f/1 is
practically nil; you really need the accuracy of the rangefinder,
especially since you're bound to be shooting in low light conditions.
The second is sheer size.  A Noctilux is about twice the size of a
standard Summicron; try to imagine the reflex Summicron twice as big
as it is now.

  Mind you, the real reason in the case of Leitz is just that they like to
be ornery - look how long it took to construct a decent M series camera
with meter. Anybody out there own an M6?  I'd be interested in hearing
any anecdotes about it.

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (04/22/85)

In article <232@bbnccv.UUCP> jjd@bbnccv.UUCP (James J. Dempsey) writes:
>> Why is it that Leica has the only f/1 lens I've ever heard of?  And why
>> don't they make it for their SLR line?
>>
>> The best anyone else seems to be able to do is f/1.2.
>
>Cannon used to make a f/0.95 50mm lens for their rangefinder cameras
>back in the 1950s.
>
>		--Jim Dempsey--

i'm pretty sure nikon made a few like a 24/0.8 or something like that.
i know Contax made a 200/0.07, but it was really a sniper-scope so B&W
was all you could really shoot and resolution was marginal for photographic
work.  as a surveillance lens system, it was great.  anyway, all lenses
that are faster than 1.2 are very expensive, heavy, and have a limited
market.  it's much harder to keep distortions under control at wide
apertures and flare becomes a problem.  as a fan of available light
shooting, i try to keep up-to-date on things like fast film and high
speed lenses.  BTW, it's Canon.

speaking of high speed films, has anyone ever used Kodak 2485 High Speed
Recording film with Kodak 951(?) developer?  this is NOT 2475 Recording Film
that you can sometimes find in camera stores.  with the 2485/951 combination,
an EI of 8000 can be used and a negative with full density range of
about 1.00 and normal contrast can be obtained.  however, $$$, and hard
as hell to find.  i have been told it only comes in 35mm/150ft rolls.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

darrelj@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Darrel VanBuer) (04/23/85)

The few f/1 lenses I've seen or heard of (excluding things like fresnel
burning lenses which don't need high resolution) were all rangefinder lenses
(e.g. Leica, Canon, maybe Nikon) and normal focal length 35 mm lenses.
It will be a long time before any of these is nontrue, due to physical and
optical constraints (and even mount constraints).
SLRs are a real lens design challenge because space for the mirror means an
inverted telescope deisgn for lenses shorter than 80 mm (sort of a wide
angle lens way out front with a magnifier behind it to get the image to the
right size)--see problems with wide angles below).
Ultrafast telescopic lenses simply need HUGE elements (thus expensive: a
Nikon 200 f2 costs $1700)--doable but not marketable.
Fast wide angles cause you to run into problems with a conflict between
adequate diameter and high curature elements (you can't make a 3 inch lens
blank with a 1 inch radius of curvature).
Extremes in lens design always make trade-offs harder--large, high curvature
elements really strain efforts to control various aberations to give an
acceptibly sharp lens.
Finally, rising expectations for lens quality and rising film speeds for a
given sharpness since the days of the rangefinder have made that last half
stop extra speed just not worth the costs.
--
Darrel J. Van Buer, PhD
System Development Corp.