[net.rec.photo] \"Match-needle\"

ddb@mrvax.DEC (05/06/85)

The term "match-needle" was applied to cameras where you matched a needle
against a single index mark long before there WERE cameras that displayed,
for example, a shutter speed scale in the viewfinder with a green bar
indicating the "recommended" exposure.  I suppose this newfangled innovation
could legitemately be called match-needle, but it ain't what the term
originally meant.

		-- David Dyer-Bennet
		-- ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-mrvax!ddb

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (05/07/85)

> The term "match-needle" was applied to cameras where you matched a needle
> against a single index mark long before there WERE cameras that displayed,
> for example, a shutter speed scale in the viewfinder with a green bar
> indicating the "recommended" exposure.  I suppose this newfangled innovation
> could legitemately be called match-needle, but it ain't what the term
> originally meant.

I always thought it was originally applied to the center the needle on
the bullseye paddle that some camera used because the correct exposure
position on the meter varied.  I don't know what moved the bullseye. I
never had one of these.  My old PENTAX took the film speed into account
and you always cenetered the needle rather than trying to match it.

-Ron

briand@tekig1.UUCP (Brian Diehm) (05/10/85)

> > The term "match-needle" was applied to cameras where you matched a needle
> > against a single index mark long before there WERE cameras that displayed,
> >
> I always thought it was originally applied to the center the needle on
> the bullseye paddle that some camera used because the correct exposure

*** REPLACE THIS MESS WITH YOUR LINEAGE ***

Allright you young pups, let an oldtimer tell you how it REALLY WAS, back when
we walked to school 12 miles in the snow. . .

     I still use a Minolta SRT-101, a mid 60-s model.  It was pretty advanced
in its day, it had a built-in meter.  And stop-down preview.  Wow.  Anyway, you
see in the viewfinder two needles, on the right side.  One has a target ring on
its end, and its position is governed by three factors, the current film speed
setting, the current f-stop, and the current shutter speed.  The other needle,
with the same axis of rotation, is position determined by the light reading of
the meter.  To expose, one simply turns the f-ring until the needles line up
(lay one atop the other).  If your shutter speed is out of range, you won't be
able to do that.  This is called "shutter priority."  Alternatively, you could
turn the shutter speed dial until the needles match, wherein this would be
called "aperture priority."  The latter is (was?) less common usage.

     In the SRT-101, you were given visual indication of the current shutter
speed setting.  In the SRT-102 you got visual viewfinder indication of dia-
phragm setting as well, through a periscope-like optical path to allow you to
directly see the appropriate part of the f-ring!

     Why do I not get an auto-exposure camera with all the goodies?  Because I
can find only a few justifications for using such a small format as 35mm, namely
portability and speed of handling.  After all, that's why photojournalists made
the 35mm an acceptable tool to pros - until then it was a toy.  Anyway, with
that in mind, I think I would actually be slower in reacting to a system where
I need to figure whether to set the damn thing into aperture or shutter
priority, where I have to learn all those silly controls, etc. etc.  In other
words, I still use my ancient camera because it still does the job better for
me than the new stuff, which would get in my way.  You'd be amazed how fast you
can align two needles (no leds, no gizmos, no nuttin), and it's all very
automatic for me - if I want an "auto exposure", I simply match the needles.
If I want to adjust, I can see about how much I am adjusting.  Or match, then
count clicks off to precisely measure my adjustment.

     I'll go up against any automatic in terms of reaction time, and I don't
even use the thing that much.  Of course, if you pre-setup your automatic for
the "proper" mode of the given situation, you'll be ahead, but then I don't
have that overhead.

     Think about it before you buy your next auto-whiz-gizmo, then think about
how the camera makers push these extra features for THEIR benefit - not yours.
Then think about how hard it is to find a camera that does ONLY what the SRT-
101 did.  Then think about how much you are paying for that auto-gee-whiz.
Markets CAN be manipulated, guys.

-Brian Diehm
Tektonix, Inc.  (which has NO official opinion regarding 35mm photography. . .)

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (05/12/85)

In article <1909@tekig1.UUCP> briand@tekig1.UUCP (Brian Diehm) writes:

>     I still use a Minolta SRT-101, a mid 60-s model.  It was pretty advanced
>in its day, it had a built-in meter.  And stop-down preview.  Wow.

>     I'll go up against any automatic in terms of reaction time, and I don't
>even use the thing that much.  Of course, if you pre-setup your automatic for
>the "proper" mode of the given situation, you'll be ahead, but then I don't
>have that overhead.
>
>     Think about it before you buy your next auto-whiz-gizmo, then think about
>how the camera makers push these extra features for THEIR benefit - not yours.
>Then think about how hard it is to find a camera that does ONLY what the SRT-
>101 did.  Then think about how much you are paying for that auto-gee-whiz.
>Markets CAN be manipulated, guys.

I'd like to make a partial defense of current-day photographic equipment.
I do own a SRT-101; it was my first 35mm camera.  And my only one until
a year or two ago.  Then I bought a Minolta X-570 body, and the SRT-101
is now mostly retired.  Why do I use the newer body in preference to the
old?  Flexibility.  If I decide I want auto-exposure (because I don't
think I'll have time to set it manually, or manual setting isn't necessary)
then I have that.  I still have both aperture and shutter speed visible
in the finder, so I can adjust the combination in use.

On the other hand,
if I have the time and inclination to use manual metering (and I do,
probably 50% of the time) then I have "match-diode" metering, with
the set shutter speed indicated by a flashing LED and the metered shutter
speed indicated by a steady one.  It DOES take longer to match the diodes
than the purely mechanical needles of the SRT-101.  But I have the
aperture visible in the finder, which isn't available in the 101.
And the LEDs are visible in dim light, which the needles are not.
And the silicon cell meter in the X-570 works in dimmer light than
the CdS cell of the 101, and does not suffer from slow readings in
dim light or "blinding" effects of the CdS cell.

And when it comes to electronic flash, the X-570 does off-the-film
flash exposure control with an appropriately-coupled flash.  Within
its limits (it's automatic, so you get the camera's idea of a correct
exposure, not yours) it is wonderful.  How long does it take for you
to set a flash exposure using a manual flash, where the procedure is
focus, read distance scale on lens, read calculator dial on flash,
set aperture?  And ordinary automatic flashes, with their limited
range of automatic aperture settings and sensor coverage that is
independent of the lens in use, are less capable of good results.

Now, I have no use for "program" cameras, and am not interested in
a multi-mode automatic that doesn't work with my old lenses.  But
these are my own preferences, and I don't think that the world needs
to agree with me.  And I think that I've given an example of a
"modern" camera that is a real improvement on the older one, and
a somewhat better value if you consider relative prices and inflation
in the intervening years.

By the way, are the camera makers really manipulating the market?  Or
are they responding to technology that will let them do what they
could not before, coupled with a changing market?  When the SRT-101
was designed, SLR owners were "serious" photographers, willing to
master the relative complexity of these cameras for the flexibility
of interchangeable lenses, a reflex viewfinder, and fast handling.
Now, I suspect, most are people who are less concerned with photography
and just want to take higher-quality snapshots.  And, of course,
manufacturers will always indulge gadget freaks if they will pay for it.

P.S.  The lens I leave on my camera most of the time is a 28-85 f/3.5
zoom.  It's slow (dim) compared to my fixed lenses, but awfully convenient.
And being able to frame in the finder is something that I just can't
do with the fixed lenses in the same way.

howard@sfmag.UUCP (H.M.Moskovitz) (05/22/85)

> > The term "match-needle" was applied to cameras where you matched a needle
> > against a single index mark long before there WERE cameras that displayed,
> > for example, a shutter speed scale in the viewfinder with a green bar
> > indicating the "recommended" exposure.  I suppose this newfangled innovation
> > could legitemately be called match-needle, but it ain't what the term
> > originally meant.
> >
> I always thought it was originally applied to the center the needle on
> the bullseye paddle that some camera used because the correct exposure
> position on the meter varied.  I don't know what moved the bullseye. I
> never had one of these.  My old PENTAX took the film speed into account
> and you always cenetered the needle rather than trying to match it.

The way a match-needle metering system works is as follows:
	The camera meter measures the incoming light with a wide-open
	lens. By adjusting the aperture (f-stop) the camera gets a
	reading of the amount of light reaching the film-plane and
	sets the needle accordingly. The film speed (asa) sets a
	relative position for the target (bulls-eye, ring, etc...),
	and by changing the shutter speed the target is moved. When
	the target is lined up with the needle, the camera now will
	have an exposure time that is adequate to get a pre-calibrated
	amount of light on the film that is required for the proper
	exposure of the film speed that the camera is set for.

	If the aperture is changed, the camera will get more or less
	light in thru the lens and will require a shorter or longer
	exposure, accordingly, to properly expose the image.

					Howard Moskovitz
					AT&T Info. Systems
					attunix!howard
"Kodachrome, shows me the night's bright colors..."
				-P. Simon

dsg@mhuxi.UUCP (David S. Green) (05/23/85)

> 	If the aperture is changed, the camera will get more or less
> 	light in thru the lens and will require a shorter or longer
> 	exposure, accordingly, to properly expose the image.

What you have described is a sub-set of match needle called
"stop down" match needle.  If the lens is coupled to the exposure
meter there is no need to stop-down to take a reading unless you
have filters in front of the lens and you don't know how to set
the ASA dial for filter factors.
BTW, on a historical note, match needle originally referred to hand-
held exposure meters.  SLRs are not the be-all and end-all of photography.