[net.rec.photo] summary of 35mm...

jans@mako.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (06/18/85)

In <1475@watdcsu.UUCP> herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) writes, quotes:
>>>- off-the-film metering
>>OM-2s:   I like the metering system.  It meters the light reflected off the
>>film during the actual exposure, rather than locking in a setting at the
>>start like most.
>
>it is an accepted fact that many professional photographers don't use
>off-the-film metering for that very reason...

In addition to being skeptical of "accepted facts", I feel the salient feature
of all the OTF Olympii is that they employ at least one or two additional
metering systems.  Perhaps this is why it is an "accepted fact that many
professional photographers" use OM2's!  Note that the OM4 has three seperate,
independent metering systems, OTF silicon blue cells, a 2% behind-the-mirror
spot meter, and the traditional CdS off the focusing screen.

>> (me, quoted in summary of email responses...)
>>I guess that if you want to do pretty normal shooting, the Pentax will do the
>>job.  It is in the fringes of photography -- macro, micro, low-light,
>>durability, different focusing requirements, etc. -- that the Olys excel.

>...as far a durability is concerned, any camera that can take a 3.5 fps motor
>drive had better be rugged or else it'll fall apart very quickly.  your
>comments here don't explain very clearly what you mean (jan).

Part of the problem of being quoted...  I believe this phrase was prefaced
with an account of the abuse my Olympii had received while shooting
professional assignments at the 1980 Winter Olympics and during winter outdoor
free lance work.  By the way, all the "digit" Olys (OM1-4) take a 5 fps motor
drive.

(Mild flame...)
In general, it is probably not a good idea to follow up to email summaries.
The requestor did a good job of editing, which causes the intentions of the
individual writers to become somewhat blurred, and rightfully so.  Also, you
are more likley to get several people upset with you instead of simply the
poster of the message!

Probably the best way to rebut a summary-type posting is through email to the
poster, who may have additional background info, and who will probably post
the rebuttal(s) if they are many and/or relate to the original request.

(Flames to net.net.facism, net.libertarian, mod.net.etiquette.d, etc.)
--
:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-161	(w)503/685-2843 ::::::
:::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans	Wilsonville, OR 97070	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::