[net.rec.photo] Rollei 35 S uneven frame spacing

ral@rayssd.UUCP (Roger A. Lema) (06/17/85)

On my Rollei 35S camera, I have noticed that I am getting uneven
frame spacing.  I believe normal 35mm film frame spacing is
about 2 mm of unexposed film between the exposed frames.
With this particular camera, I am getting from 1/2 mm
to 2 mm spacing - progressively increasing - between
frames.  The progression takes about five negatives
so that every fifth negative is separated from the
next one by the 1/2 mm spacing.  This is very frustrating
when trying to print full frame prints.

Does anyone on the net know if this is a standard feature of
the Rollei 35S or should I be sending this camera in to the
repair center - Marflex in NJ.  I will welcome all comments.

                                Ihor Slabicky
                                Raytheon Co.
                                Portsmouth, RI

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (06/19/85)

In article <798@rayssd.UUCP> ral@rayssd.UUCP writes:

>On my Rollei 35S camera, I have noticed that I am getting uneven
>frame spacing.  I believe normal 35mm film frame spacing is
>about 2 mm of unexposed film between the exposed frames.
>With this particular camera, I am getting from 1/2 mm
>to 2 mm spacing - progressively increasing - between
>frames.  The progression takes about five negatives
>so that every fifth negative is separated from the
>next one by the 1/2 mm spacing.

If the spacing was DECREASING over a five-frame span, and then jumping
to the full 2mm and beginning to decrease again for the next five
frames, I would suspect that the feed spool was jamming or being held by
some friction, which was holding it still until the tension got great
enough to overcome the jam, and then it jumped and fed more film and
began to build up the jam again.

If, as you say, the spacing is really INCREASING over each five-frame
group, this is harder to diagnose -- maybe the winding mechanism has
some sort of non-linearity or there is a non-direct coupling between the
winding force and the actual film-pulling doohickey (spindle or
whatever), which again "winds up" over each five-frame period and pulls
the film with a constantly-varying springiness.

I'd take a roll of used, outdated, or otherwise junk film and run it
through the camera with the back off, watching it carefully. Maybe you
could make evenly-spaced marks on the film to make it easier to judge?
Can you see unevenness or periodic variations in the feed? (If not, that
doesn't mean that it would not so happen with the back on, and in
"normal" conditions, but maybe you could see something acting strangely
by doing this experiment.)

Regards, Will