[net.rec.photo] Weird Adapter Ring Sizes

brian@ut-sally.UUCP (Brian H. Powell) (07/06/85)

     I have several pieces of equipment (closeup lenses, broken ring light,
etc.)  that need to be screwed into a mount 44mm in diameter.  They are left
over from an old Kodak Retina (we ain't talkin' new).
     My Pentax has a 49mm mount.
     I went to my photo store and asked for an adapter.  They said they don't
carry unusual sizes.  Is 44mm that weird?  Is 49mm weird?  If not, let me
know and I'll keep calling camera stores.  If so, any suggestions on finding
an adapter?  Any mail-order places that might have it?

Brian H. Powell      brian@ut-sally.{ARPA,UUCP}

		 U.S. Mail:		 Southwestern Bell
		P.O. Box 5899		451-0842
		Austin, TX 78763
					 AT&T
					(512) 451-0842

fohl@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Fohl) (07/08/85)

In article <2274@ut-sally.UUCP>, brian@ut-sally.UUCP (Brian H. Powell) writes:

>      I have several pieces of equipment (closeup lenses, broken ring light,
> etc.)  that need to be screwed into a mount 44mm in diameter.  They are left
> over from an old Kodak Retina (we ain't talkin' new).
>      My Pentax has a 49mm mount.
>      I went to my photo store and asked for an adapter.  They said they don't
> carry unusual sizes.  Is 44mm that weird?  Is 49mm weird?  If not, let me
> know and I'll keep calling camera stores.  If so, any suggestions on finding
> an adapter?  Any mail-order places that might have it?

Brian,

     If my memory serves me correctly, there are four standard filter sizes
in the 40 mm range.  They are 43,43.5 (really!),46, and 49.  I assume any-
thing else would be custom or specific to a certain product.  If you want
help with out of date products, try a subscription to Shutterbug Ads.  There
is more old junk for sale in that tabloid than you can shake a stick at.
My opinion is that most of it is junk, but if you know what you're looking
for, there can be a bargain.

     Happy hunting.

					Mark Fohl
					Bell Labs, Columbus

brian@ut-sally.UUCP (Brian H. Powell) (07/17/85)

>      I have several pieces of equipment (closeup lenses, broken ring light,
> etc.)  that need to be screwed into a mount 44mm in diameter.  They are left
> over from an old Kodak Retina (we ain't talkin' new).
>      My Pentax has a 49mm mount.
>      I went to my photo store and asked for an adapter.  They said they don't
> carry unusual sizes.  ...
>
> Brian H. Powell      brian@ut-sally.{ARPA,UUCP}

     I finally found someone to explain this to me.  The Kodak used accessories
that are measured not in millimeters, but with a Series number.  These Series
sizes are still used today, but only on pro. cameras.
     So what I need is a step-down adapter ring from 49mm to Series 6.  So now
that I know what to ask for, where can I find one of those?