[net.rec.photo] 35mm Zone system techniques...

jordan@ucbvax.ARPA (Jordan Hayes) (08/03/85)

In article <471@tymix.UUCP> kanner@tymix.UUCP (Herb Kanner) writes:

>>Good luck doing zone system with 35mm. How will you control development
>>for each shot?

>If you use Ilford XP1, you can use Zone System doctrine to a limited degree
>by changing the ASA rating for each shot.  Exposed at ASA 100, the neg will
>have much lower contrast than it will when exposed at ASA 400.

Now Herb, notice I said "development" and not "exposure". The person who
asked about the spot-metering of an OM-4. At least half of the Zone
System depends on development. The difference in contrast you mention
is due to b&w film latitude. Of course, the same thing happens if you
have *any* spot-metered camera and adjust your exposure according to
careful examination of your scene.

/jordan