[net.rec.photo] Old Cameras and other Photographicia

coop@rdin.UUCP (Robert Cooper) (09/09/85)

John J. Francini (francini@argus.DEC) wrote:

> I have a friend who has a couple of very old Kodak cameras from around
> 1910-1925.  They supposedly predate the Brownie era by a fair bit.  Does
> anyone have any idea what cameras of that vintage could be worth?

Their worth, of course, is based on what models they are and on what condition
they are in. The range is from about 5 dollars for the very common to a couple
of hundred for the very rare ones. If you would like, send me what information
you have, and I'll look it up in my collector guide. Send me the info via the
net, I would like others to get a little education in the history and pricing
of older cameras. The price guide I'll be using is the "Price Guide to Antique
& Classic Still Cameras", Fourth Edition (1983-1984), Edited by James McKeown
and Joan McKeown.

To increase your information about Brownie Cameras, the original Brownie
was introduced in February 1900 to take a new size film, No. 117 for 2 1/4
x 2 1/4 exposures. Made of cardboard, it only lasted 4 months in production
becaused of a poorly designed back. A rare box camera with a value of around
500 dollars to some crazy Kodak collector. In June 1900, the improved design
was introduced and became the first commercially successful Browie Camera. This
camera is usually marked as the "No. 1 Brownie" but the earlist examples were
marked as "The Brownie Camera". The No. 1 has a value of about $40 while the
earlier one might get you $70 dollars. The No. 1 marking does not stand for
order of release but for film sized used. You will find many early Kodak cameras
marked with some Number, like No. 0 or No. 2c. Some higher number models might
have a larger value then lower number models. For example, the "No. 0 Brownie",
a small (4 x 3 1/4 x 6 cm) box camera was made for 127 film. As the guide
book puts it, "Cute, but not scarce. $15-25". (This little history lession
adapted from the price guide.)

Are there any other Photographicia collector out there? While I know some things
about cameras, my main interest is in images produced before 1900. If there
is anyone out there who needs some information about early images or cameras,
I'm more then willing to help you out. I find the early history of photograghy
with all it developments in both its hardware and software, very similar to
the history and current developments of computers. If anyone out there is
interested, I continue this line of thought in the future.

Reply to me either through the net or by mail.

Robert Cooper

Resource Dynamics Inc.
150 East 58th Street, Suite 2500
New York, NY 10155