[net.rec.photo] Free Markets and Product Quality

briand@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Diehm) (10/03/85)

The first paragraph applies only to Oregon, and is a reply to a local issue.
The remainder is of general interest (if you like philosophy!)

The "place in Eugene" that burned Tom Beach is probably Dot Dotson's (though
the spelling may be off).  Tualatin's Oregon City Photo does, or at least did,
indeed use them.  I also do not recommend this outfit.

HOWEVER, I am getting to the point where I cannot recommend Kodak any more,
either.  The implications of this are pretty major, but it seems that big
yellow can't be counted on to not mar negatives, etc.  I wonder if this is a
side result of increased competition from the Japanese - Fuji, and company.
You might give this sort of thing some thought the next time you buy a roll
of Fuji.  Not only does this mess up our balance of payments, but if the
product isn't CLEARLY superior (and I question that at least in Fuji's case)
then the side effects may be unexpected.

The point is, that for the last half century or so, Kodak has been unmatched
in process quality control, not only in processing but in "soft goods" and
chemicals.  You KNEW when you bought Kodak exactly what you were getting, even
if it was arguably not the ultimate product.  To contrast, I have had photos
ruined by bad batches of developers, boxes of papers with sensitivity anomalies,
and many other things that made the slight superiority of the product not worth
the risk.  But you could always count on Kodak.  Now, it seems at least in
photofinishing this is no longer true, and I worry that this malaise will
spread to the other parts of Kodaks's empire as well.  And that makes me wonder
as to the cause, which leads me to postulating about increased competition from
foreign producers.

Now don't flame me for being anti-competition or protectionist.  I'm not, but I
am tired of the terminally trendy buying foreign because it's perceived to be
the thing to buy, and never really analyzing whether it's really a better pro-
duct.  Or what the other free-market effects are.

-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (10/06/85)

You say you can no longer trust Kodak.

Would you mind giving details of your experiences so that
the rest of us can judge whether we want to draw the same
conclusions you have?

sasaki@harvard.ARPA (Marty Sasaki) (10/06/85)

What's the point Brian? Has Kodak quality decreased? What is the
tie-in to free trade and all of that?

Each product is slightly different. Fuji film used to be quite
different in color rendition than Big Yellow (although I've noticed
that color rendition is getting closer and closer Kodak's). Agfa is
also different. If you really care about the rendition, then you will
use different film for different effects. Kodak, in my mind, has never
been completely the best. They are certainly the best in certain
aspects, but not in everything.

The free market does have an effect. If Kodak loses a big share of the
sales, then they will do something about it. Look at the situation in
black and white paper. Kodak was slowly losing interest in quality
black and white paper. For a while, you couldn't get a decent paper
from Kodak. A lot of photographers changed and started using papers
from *other* countries. (I switched to Ilford.) But now Kodak has two
very good black and white papers, Elite and Polyfiber.

Is this happening with film? I haven't noticed any changes. If
anything, I find the opposite. The VR films are good, and Vericolor
III is superior to Vericolor II. There are the Professional
Kodachromes that guarentee consistent color rendition.

Is it happening with processing? Kodak labs have been known to go
through periods of debugging when new equipment, or a new process
arrives. I remember when Kodachrome 25 came out I heard
recommendations that you send your film to New Jersey rather than
Rochester since the New Jersey plant had more experience processing
the new film.

Is there a problem?
--
----------------
  Marty Sasaki				net:   sasaki@harvard.{arpa,uucp}

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (10/07/85)

> Now don't flame me for being anti-competition or protectionist.  I'm not,
> but I am tired of the terminally trendy buying foreign because it's
> perceived to be the thing to buy, and never really analyzing whether it's
> really a better pro-duct.  Or what the other free-market effects are.

Now, I won't flame you, but I do disagree.  I don't think competition with
the Japanese has anything to do with decreasing Kodak quality.  The way to
beat someone who has a better price than you is to produce a better quality
of product or service (at a reasonable rate).  Kodak has very good, fast,
automated equipment, and I suspect that other factors are involved in
decreasing quality of their processing services, if they exist.

Personally I buy Kodak film, paper, and developer, and do the processing
myself, because it is better in quality than others, e.g., Unicolor.
However, this has nothing to do with being "terminally trendy"; you have
to buy the product that is of the best quality.

Aside from that, I can't see why buying a roll of Fuji film should affect
the quality of processing... do you send it to Japan to have it processed?
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP: Ofc:  ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

chip@vaxwaller.UUCP (Chip Kozy) (10/08/85)

*** REPLACE THIS WITH YOUR ***
........"  But you could always count on Kodak.  Now, it seems at least in
photofinishing this is no longer true, and I worry that this malaise will
spread to the other parts of Kodaks's empire as well.  And that makes me wonder
as to the cause, which leads me to postulating about increased competition from
foreign producers."

	Being a color photographer without a darkroom, I've found myself
at the mercy of the "big yellow", and I couldn't agree with you more!!
The quality of Kodak developing and printing in the San Francisco Bay
area has gone to the dogs.  I used to be able to count on accurate color
reproduction (especially when using a gray scale), but now I cannot be
sure what I'll get...i.e. magenta skies, water spots, etc.  I've complained
to Rochester, and gotten the "there, there now.  Here's a free roll of film,
now be a nice boy and go play." letters back from them. My alternative was to
use a local house which costs a bit more, but I have immediate control over
what they do and don't do.  I've found them extermely willing to listen
and work with me, so I don't mind the few extra pennies it costs.

	As an aside, does anyone out there know how to get good sharp
prints from 35MM slides?

	Anyway, back to the oars.

					Happiness;
					Chip

--

		Chip Kozy   (415) 939-2400 x-2048
		Varian Inst. Grp.  2700 Mitchell Dr.

kanner@tymix.UUCP (Herb Kanner) (10/14/85)

In article <349@vaxwaller.UUCP> chip@vaxwaller.UUCP (Chip Kozy) writes:
>	As an aside, does anyone out there know how to get good sharp
>prints from 35MM slides?

Since you say you are a color photographer without a darkroom, this may not
be of interest to you, but I have never had any sharpness problems making
prints on either Cibachrome, on the late-lamented Ektachrome 14, on
Ektachrome 22, or on 2203 paper.  I gave up on Cibachrome after a year of
trying because of the excess contrast and excess color saturation.

Most commercial shops, and I believe this includes Kodak, make an
inter-negative from your slide and then print that on the same paper used
for color negative originals.  A real custom lab will probably make the
inter-negative of the size 4 x 5 and charge you accordingly.  Kodak and the
other mass production places make a small inter-negative; I don't remember
the exact size, but it is something like 2 x 3.  This could reduce
sharpness.  Some commercial shops advertise that they print on Cibachrome.
This would be professional Ciba, which I suspect is even more contrasty
than the amateur stuff.  You might give that a try.  I do not know of any
shops using the conventional reversal papers, such as Ektachrome 22.
--
Herb Kanner
Tymnet, Inc.

feikema@mmm.UUCP (John Feikema) (10/14/85)

>	As an aside, does anyone out there know how to get good sharp
>prints from 35MM slides?
>

>		Chip Kozy   (415) 939-2400 x-2048
>		Varian Inst. Grp.  2700 Mitchell Dr.
>		Walnut Creek, Calif.  94598
>		{zehntel,amd,fortune,resonex,rtech}!varian!chip

I have tried just about every available chemistry and paper combination on
the market for making prints from slides.

About two years ago I settled on Cibachrome. I recently upgraded to their new
chemistry and paper combination. I loved the old and the new is even better.
In addition to the improved quality, the new chemistry is much easier to use,
(only 3 chemical steps, wide temperature range) and self neutralizing (better
for the environment). The contrast of the old version used to be a bit of
a problem but the new versions are self masking. If you have a slide with a
real contrast problem then their is an alternate two part developer
designed by Carl Krupp that I'll post if their's interest. Sharpness of a one
step (no internegative) process is excellent.

The usual disclaimers!!

John Feikema (ihnp4!mmm!feikema)

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (10/27/85)

> This would be professional Ciba, which I suspect is even more contrasty
> than the amateur stuff.  You might give that a try.

Why would you think that?  In general, for color materials, "professional"
materials are of lower contrast than the consumer products; it usually
goes

	commercial > consumer > professional

Just curious.
--

kanner@tymix.UUCP (Herb Kanner) (10/28/85)

In article <1747@peora.UUCP> jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) writes:
>> This would be professional Ciba, which I suspect is even more contrasty
>> than the amateur stuff.  You might give that a try.
>
>Why would you think that?  In general, for color materials, "professional"
>materials are of lower contrast than the consumer products; it usually
>goes
>
>	commercial > consumer > professional
>
>Just curious.
I get a lot of my good foo from a journal called Darkroom Techniques, which
started out as the hobby of the owner of a chemical supply house in Chicago
and grew from four issues a year to six issues a year.  Just about the
point where I gave up on amateur Ciba and switched to Ektachrome 22, there
was a glowing article in the mag about professional Ciba.  Nowhere in the
article was anything quantitative about contrast mentioned, but the various
adjectives regarding color appearance sounded to me like another way of
saying: "more color saturation."  I realize that color saturation and
contrast are not identical, but I think there is probably a monotonic
relationship.

Actually, I'm very curious about the process, which has one advantage and
two disadvantages in comparison to the amateur kit.  The advantage is that
the bleach is in liquid form.  That means that small amounts, e.g., 16
ounces, of solutions can be mixed up, eliminating the worry about old age
of the bleach.  The reason for the powder bleach in the amateur kit is
safety; apparently the concentrated liquid is very corrosive.  The two
disadvantages are that the working temperature, if I remember correctly, is
86 degrees for the pro stuff as against 75 for the amateur.  The other is
that a minimum purchase of chemicals and paper would come to about $100,
which is a lot to spend on an experiment.

If anyone on the net has used professional Ciba, especially if they have
also used amateur Ciba, Ektachrome 22, or both, I would love to hear about
the comparative results.

--
Herb Kanner
Tymnet, Inc.