[net.rec.photo] Nikon N2000

akhanna@bbncc5.UUCP ( '|` |_| |_) (11/04/85)

Anyone have any impressions, reports, etc. about the new Nikon N2000 ?
It has two program modes (one regular and one with a bias towards fast
shutter speeds), an aperture priority mode and a manual mode, all for
about $260 (with a Nikon E 1.8 lens) - which makes me wonder about its
quality, as compared to other Nikons, that is.
--
/-\ [ |<

howard@sfmag.UUCP (H.M.Moskovitz) (11/07/85)

> Anyone have any impressions, reports, etc. about the new Nikon N2000 ?
> It has two program modes (one regular and one with a bias towards fast
> shutter speeds), an aperture priority mode and a manual mode, all for
> about $260 (with a Nikon E 1.8 lens) - which makes me wonder about its
> quality, as compared to other Nikons, that is.
> --
> /-\ [ |<

If you are wondering about Nikon's apparent trend toward cheaper
cameras, take note that they jjust introduced a compact all in one
35mm rangfinder type like the Canon sure-shot. This is a first for
them.

					Howard Moskovitz
					AT&T Info. Systems
					attunix!howard

simsong@mit-amt.MIT.EDU (Simson Garfinkel) (11/07/85)

I've had a chance to play with this camera a bit, although I have not
seen any of the film that I shot, (you know, walk into a camera store
and get the feel for the thing...)

The camera strikes me as a Nikon challenge to the field of cheap,
easy-to-use cameras. The autowinder is really fast compared to other
built-in autowinders. The camera has a solid construction.

But if you lose the batteries, you've had it. There's nothing that you
can do without them, except rewind your film and find another camera
(thank Nikon that has not been automated). I wish it had AMP metering,
but I guess that Nikon wishes to keep that feature for the FA (which I
have. Excellent camera, but that's another story). It would also have
been real nice of Nikon had thought to put on a shutter-priority mode.

Doubtlessly, most people who purchase this camera will never use it with
anything but DX-cased film and program mode. And for the
point-and-shooter, its a really great toy.

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (11/12/85)

In article <32@mit-amt.MIT.EDU> simsong@mit-amt.MIT.EDU (Simson Garfinkel) writes:
> Excellent camera, but that's another story). It would also have
> been real nice of Nikon had thought to put on a shutter-priority mode.

Does any Nikon have shutter-priority?  (possibly the FA?)

Nikon's lens interface wasn't designed for the sorts of things
people want their cameras to do these days.  The little pin that
detirmines how far the lens stops down doesn't travel far enough to get
the resolution needed.  E.g. the camera decides that it wants f/5.6,
but with the slop in the mechanism you can't be sure exactly what the
lens will actually stop down to.  They get around this in 'program'
mode by doing a second light measurement after the lens stops down,
and tweeking the shutter speed to compensate.  They could do the same
thing for shutter-priority, but the shutter speed you get could be
quite a bit different than the one you set.  And most people expect
shutter-priority to give them the exact shutter speed they set.
(Otherwise why not just use program mode?)

Most manufacturers have the same problem, which is why most cameras
offer aperture-priority rather than shutter-priority.  (Then their
marketing dept tries to cover-up the problem by concentrating on
depth of field shooting still-lifes rather than freezing action.
If you're shooting still-life, who needs automation?)

Snoopy (ECS Ronin #901)
tektronix!tekecs!doghouse.TEK!snoopy

"Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away."

simsong@mit-amt.MIT.EDU (Simson Garfinkel) (11/15/85)

In article <1633@hammer.UUCP>, seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) writes:
> Does any Nikon have shutter-priority?  (possibly the FA?)

Yes, the FA does. That's why I bought it; I thought that
shutter-priority was the thing, and I really wanted to Nikon lenses.
It's not a hard thing to do, if you've already got a program mode. And I
think that its much nicer than program. Are you listening, Nikon?

> Most manufacturers have the same problem, which is why most cameras
> offer aperture-priority rather than shutter-priority.  (Then their
> marketing dept tries to cover-up the problem by concentrating on
> depth of field shooting still-lifes rather than freezing action.
> If you're shooting still-life, who needs automation?)

I believe that the Cannon AE1 also offers a shutter-priority mode. Also
the new Pentax super-program (my, that's an old camera now, isn't it?)
The problem with the Pentax is that it doesn't work with the old
non-electronic lenses. If you put an old lense on the new Pentax, you
only get aperature-priority.

akhanna@bbncc5.UUCP (Atul Khanna) (11/15/85)

>Yes, the FA does. That's why I bought it; I thought that
>shutter-priority was the thing, and I really wanted to Nikon lenses.
>It's not a hard thing to do, if you've already got a program mode. And I
>think that its much nicer than program. Are you listening, Nikon?

>> Most manufacturers have the same problem, which is why most cameras
>> offer aperture-priority rather than shutter-priority.  (Then their
>> marketing dept tries to cover-up the problem by concentrating on
>> depth of field shooting still-lifes rather than freezing action.
>> If you're shooting still-life, who needs automation?)

>I believe that the Cannon AE1 also offers a shutter-priority mode. Also
>the new Pentax super-program (my, that's an old camera now, isn't it?)

The Canon A1, too, has shutter priority, in addition to all the other
modes - a great camera.

--
Atul C Khanna
BBN Communications Corporation, Cambridge MA

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (11/17/85)

>>> Most manufacturers have the same problem, which is why most cameras
>>> offer aperture-priority rather than shutter-priority.  (Then their
>>> marketing dept tries to cover-up the problem by concentrating on
>>> depth of field shooting still-lifes rather than freezing action.
>>> If you're shooting still-life, who needs automation?)

>>I believe that the Canon AE1 also offers a shutter-priority mode. Also
>>the new Pentax super-program (my, that's an old camera now, isn't it?)

>The Canon A1, too, has shutter priority, in addition to all the other
>modes - a great camera.
>BBN Communications Corporation, Cambridge MA

It appears that most manufacturers offer mostly aperture-preferred
cameras, but Canon has traditionally offered mostly shutter-preferred.
This is one reason why I use Canon equipment...

Canon shutter-priority cameras:
	EF, AE-1, AE-1 Program, AL-1, T-70

Canon aperture-priority cameras:
	AV-1

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
I'm all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979