[net.rec.photo] RE2485 question...

peter@uwmacc.UUCP (Peter Kaufman) (12/02/85)

Subject: High Speed film question

Says : jordan@ucbvax.UUCP (Jordan Hayes) - University of California, Berkeley

> I have used the RE2485 ... pushed it to 12,000 and had no problems.

* Using what developer?  Daylight conditions or CRT screens as Kodak suggests.

> When you get any faster than that, you really need very sensitive
> stuff ... does the technology even exist?

* I have heard that in the magazine ASTRONOMY, there are articles on using
  chemicals (nitrogen?) on film before it is used to take shots of celestial
  nature at "very" high speeds.

Says : ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig)

>> 	I understand that Kodak does produce a faster film, but it is only
>> available to me if I buy a minimum of 43 - 150 foot rolls.  High Speed
>> Recording film RE2485 is this faster film pushable to 8000 ASA.

> I have used 2485, buying it in 36-exposure rolls from a Kodak dealer.
> You might check to see if it is still available in this form.

> Kodak has specific development recommendations for 2485 that
> differ from those for their other films.  I seem to recall that
> HC-110 is OK, but that D-76 generates too much fog.

	The developer that Kodak claims is best according to their
technical sheet on 2485 (P-94, 1981) is developer 587.  I know no
more than that (ie. where it is available, etc).

	Could those of you out there who can readily obtain 2485
please either mail me directly or send to the net, the address of
your own distributor?  According to photo stores in my area (including
Milwaukee), Kodak will not deal directly with consumers, and will only
sell 2485 to those stores with a certain kind of license/agreement to
carry products including this film.

	Thanks in advance for any help I get on this.

			Peter Kaufman
 			- peter ({allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!peter)

jc@saber.UUCP (John Cincotta) (12/03/85)

> Subject: High Speed film question
> Says : jordan@ucbvax.UUCP (Jordan Hayes) - University of California, Berkeley
>
> * I have heard that in the magazine ASTRONOMY, there are articles on using
>   chemicals (nitrogen?) on film before it is used to take shots of celestial
>   nature at "very" high speeds.
the gas used is either hydrogen or a mixture of hydrogen 8% and nitrogen 92%.
the latter is used because there is no fire danger with this mixture.
the film is soaked in this gas for several hours to weeks depending on the
film type. to the best of my knoledge this processing just cuts down on
reciprocity failure of the film on the long exposures that are used for
astrophotography usually from 10 min to several hours.

Name:	John Cincotta
Mail:	Saber Technology, 2381 Bering Drive, San Jose, California 95131
AT&T:	945-9600
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!saber!jc
	...{amd,ihnp4,ittvax}!saber!jc