[net.rec.photo] Holograms at Disneyland

sasaki@harvard.UUCP (Marty Sasaki) (11/23/85)

I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but the "holograms" in the Haunted
Mansion ride at Disneland (Disneyworld may be different) are not
holograms. On one of the Disney shows they showed how they did the
effects. The talking (and singing) heads are frosted plastic heads
with a magic optical system which projects the features onto the
inside of the sculpted heads. The ghosts which join you are just
reflections from carefully placed puppets.

The show was a while ago, so they might have replaced the effects with
holograms, but why would they bother? The effects were startling and
wouldn't gain much by being holograms.
--
----------------
  Marty Sasaki				net:   sasaki@harvard.{arpa,uucp}

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (11/27/85)

In article <520@harvard.UUCP> sasaki@harvard.UUCP (Marty sasaki) writes:
>I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but the "holograms" in the Haunted
>Mansion ride at Disneland (Disneyworld may be different) are not
>holograms... The talking (and singing) heads are frosted plastic heads
>with a magic optical system which projects the features onto the
>inside of the sculpted heads. The ghosts which join you are just
>reflections from carefully placed puppets.

Disney World and Disneyland are essentially the same in the props they
use in their rides, I believe. (I haven't experienced Disneyland; I only
know from what I saw on TV that it is very similar to DW.)

You are right, of course, about the plastic heads and the puppets.
However, at least at Disney World's version of the Haunted Castle, there
is a segment of the haunted ride where you are taken by a large
picture window, through which you can see a bunch of ghostly figures
dancing around a gothic banquet hall. This has to be done by holograms;
I can't see any other way they could have gotten those 3-D images. Also
the fact that you have to see it through a tinted-looking window
suggests that this is a hologram. Another scene that might be done with
holograms is the scene where you are looking down an infinite haunted
hallway, and a candlestick moves about from room to room across the
hall.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

(The views expressed herein are not real; they were simulated by
mirrors and holograms. Dave Kirby is also not real, though nobody has
ever attempted to simulate him.)

> However, at least at Disney World's version of the Haunted Castle, there
> is a segment of the haunted ride where you are taken by a large
> picture window, through which you can see a bunch of ghostly figures
> dancing around a gothic banquet hall. This has to be done by holograms;
> I can't see any other way they could have gotten those 3-D images. Also
> the fact that you have to see it through a tinted-looking window
> suggests that this is a hologram.

Actually, to me it suggests that a beam splitter is being used.

The (National?) Museum of Holography in New York City is rumored
to have the best exhibits.  I saw some when they were on loan at
the NGS in DC; some of the holograms were pretty spiffy.  There
is also a shop in Baltimore's HarborPlace where one can buy
holographic art; I imagine several other cities have similar shops.
If you haven't seen modern holograms, you ought to look into them
(terrible pun not intended).

davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) (11/30/85)

In article <160@brl-tgr.ARPA> gwyn@brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn>) writes:
>> However, at least at Disney World's version of the Haunted Castle, there
>> is a segment of the haunted ride where you are taken by a large
>> picture window, through which you can see a bunch of ghostly figures
>> dancing around a gothic banquet hall. This has to be done by holograms;

How this is done is quite obvious.  You see the scene from very high up and
must look down.  Underneath you is a setup of all the 'ghosts' in a black room
moving about.  What you see is merely their reflection upon a semi-mirrored
surface in front of the entire 'live' room you see that is really in front of
you.

As for the faces which sing the 'ghost' song and stare at you while you pass -
I studied them very carefully the first day the haunted mansion opened at
Disney World.  They were fascinating.  They are actually featureless 'heads'
with white reflective coating.  The faces are actually a film projected from
behind and above.  Very good illusion.

The 'infinite' candlestick reflections would seem to be a simple use of
parallel mirrors.  However, here I am conjecturing.  Time after time I have
stared at it while riding by and I haven't seen any clues to indicate
otherwise.

  -- Dave Trissel   {ihnp4,seismo}!ut-sally!oakhill!davet

bob@altos86.UUCP (Bob Hutson) (12/01/85)

The Disneyland/world effects could be implemented in the following manner:

DANCING GHOSTS ON BALLROOM (side view)

		    [U]                        [U] = you
                =========     /             |  #-# = dancing ghosts
                             /              |   /  = glass (semi-reflective)
                 #-# #-#    /   ballroom    |
                ============================|

The ghosts could be fullsize (internally or externally) illuminated models
running on tracks.

FLOATING CANDLESTICK IN INFINITE HALLWAY

   (top view)           (side view)
=================    ================= <--- mirror
|               |    |               |
[               ]    |(ceiling)      |(floor)
|               |    |               |
+---------------+    +---------------+ <-+- semi-reflecting mirror
|               |    |    \              |
[               ]    |       \     <-----|       [C] <---
|               |    |          \                       |
+---------------+    +---------------+                  |
                                             physical or projected
					          candlestick

Now, can anyone explain the lady in the glass bowl? At first I thought
it was Disney's Video-Animatronics (i.e., Lincoln), however, there is
a constant very bright light seemingly from the center of the bowl
that implies a projection of some sort. Any takers?

				~ bob

msc@saber.UUCP (Mark Callow) (12/03/85)

> there is a segment of the haunted ride where you are taken by a large
> picture window, through which you can see a bunch of ghostly figures
> dancing around a gothic banquet hall. This has to be done by holograms;
> I can't see any other way they could have gotten those 3-D images. Also
> the fact that you have to see it through a tinted-looking window
> suggests that this is a hologram.

It sounds to me more like the very old "pepper's ghost" illusion which
was described by somebody else in a recent article (though he didn't
refer to it by that name).  This has been used for years by stage
magicians.  Since what you are seeing is the reflection of a person
(animated models in Disney's case), it is three-dimensional.  The
"tinted looking window" merely helps to hide the important piece of
glass doing the reflecting.

You don't have to have high-tech to produce amazing results.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@saber.uucp,  sun!saber!msc@decwrl.dec.com ...{ihnp4,sun}!saber!msc

davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) (12/03/85)

In article <173@altos86.UUCP> bob@gateway.UUCP (Bob Hutson) writes:

<After two good explanations of special effects at Disney Land/World>

>Now, can anyone explain the lady in the glass bowl? At first I thought
>it was Disney's Video-Animatronics (i.e., Lincoln), however, there is
>a constant very bright light seemingly from the center of the bowl
>that implies a projection of some sort. Any takers?

The second time on the ride I figured this one out.  It is a projection
system.  This is much like the 'singing ghost faces' except that there is
more than one projector (probably two.)  Inside the globe is a head with
wig and a face of just reflective white surface.  The projectors hone in
from two directions and are synched.

A couple years later I was on the ride again and it was quite obvious because
the film was so old it was full of scratches and the projectors were not
in synch.  The white light you mention is quite mysterious.  It appears at
Disneyland but not at Disneyworld (at least the times I have been at both
places.)  I would presume it is a defect of some sort at Disneyland but
that is only a guess.

  --  Dave Trissel   {seismo,ihnp4}!ut-sally!oakhill!davet

chuq@sun.uucp (Chuq Von Rospach) (12/04/85)

> In article <160@brl-tgr.ARPA> gwyn@brl-tgr.ARPA (Doug Gwyn <gwyn>) writes:
> >> However, at least at Disney World's version of the Haunted Castle, there
> >> is a segment of the haunted ride where you are taken by a large
> >> picture window, through which you can see a bunch of ghostly figures
> >> dancing around a gothic banquet hall. This has to be done by holograms;

No it doesn't. Remember that when the Haunted Mansion was designed, lasers and
Holography were still laboratory phenomenon.

> How this is done is quite obvious.  You see the scene from very high up and
> must look down.  Underneath you is a setup of all the 'ghosts' in a black room
> moving about.  What you see is merely their reflection upon a semi-mirrored
> surface in front of the entire 'live' room you see that is really in front of
> you.

Close. They didn't even bother with semi-mirrored glass. At Disneyland (where
I worked with those machines for over four years...) the dinner party room is
fronted by three pieces of flawless plate (about 50x50 foot each, so you can
imagine the cost). The room behind the glass is empty. Below you and above you
are the rooms where the mannequins are placed, and they are lit by bright
green lamps. The reflections of the mannequins on the glass are carefully
placed to make it seem like they are in the room, and that glass is kept very
clean to minimize things that would break the illusion.

> As for the faces which sing the 'ghost' song and stare at you while you pass -
> I studied them very carefully the first day the haunted mansion opened at
> Disney World.  They were fascinating.  They are actually featureless 'heads'
> with white reflective coating.  The faces are actually a film projected from
> behind and above.  Very good illusion.

Yep. Same with the fortune teller in the crystal ball.

> The 'infinite' candlestick reflections would seem to be a simple use of
> parallel mirrors.  However, here I am conjecturing.  Time after time I have
> stared at it while riding by and I haven't seen any clues to indicate
> otherwise.

Correct again. Probably the best illusion in the ride, if you don't understand
the technology behind it.

The one effect I haven't heard mentioned yet is the hitchhiking ghosts. For
those that didn't figure it out, the mirrors you are seeing are only
semi-reflective, and the ghosts are lit on the far side and show through.

For those that have never seen backstage at Disneyland, the technology is
truly fascinating.... You'd never believe how much they've been able to do
with a little hydraulic fluid...

chuq
--
:From catacombs of Castle Tarot:        Chuq Von Rospach
sun!chuq@decwrl.DEC.COM                 {hplabs,ihnp4,nsc,pyramid}!sun!chuq

Let us now take the sacred oath. As of now, he is no longer an elephant!