[net.rec.photo] Exposure compensation

ward@ttidcc.UUCP (Don Ward) (01/07/86)

The current issue of Popular Photography has an article wherein the
author recommends overexposing color negative film by 1/3 stop and
underexposing positive color film by 1/3 stop.  The contention (for
negative film) is that the resulting negative will have better grain
structure, etc.  If anybody has any observations about this I would
like to hear them.  In particular, what I would like to know is if
there is a difference, at what approximate enlargement is the differ-
ence visible.

kanner@tymix.UUCP (Herb Kanner) (01/11/86)

In article <75@ttidcc.UUCP> ward@ttidcc.UUCP (Don Ward) writes:
>The current issue of Popular Photography has an article wherein the
>author recommends overexposing color negative film by 1/3 stop and
>underexposing positive color film by 1/3 stop.  The contention (for
>negative film) is that the resulting negative will have better grain
>structure, etc.  If anybody has any observations about this I would
>like to hear them.  In particular, what I would like to know is if
>there is a difference, at what approximate enlargement is the differ-
>ence visible.

I have personally directly or indirectly received this very same advice
from independent professional sources about three times in the past six
years, and have, in fact, been following it myself.  The advantage was
never claimed to be better grain structure; it was better color saturation.
I will check out that issue of Popular Photography tomorrow and see what
that author says.

The basis for rating films is a bit arbitrary anyway. The only drawback
I can see to this 1/3 stop bias is that you discard a bit of your margin
for error.
--
Herb Kanner
Tymnet, Inc.

smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) (01/11/86)

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxl!smh

> The current issue of Popular Photography has an article wherein the
> author recommends underexposing positive color film by 1/3 stop.

The Nikon School instructors have recommended underexposing Kodachrome by
2/3 stop (K64 at 100) for increased color saturation for years.  However,
they recommended using Ektachrome at its rated speed.  I personally shoot
K64 at 80 and E400 at 400 and like my results.

george@sysvis (01/13/86)

> .. the author recommends overexposing color negative film by 1/3 stop and
> underexposing positive color film by 1/3 stop.

Sensitometric data confirms that this is a very good rule of thumb to use.  I
have done it for years.  Combine this method with a polarizing filter for most
outdoor daylight shots to give your pictures a decided enhancement.  I now use
Kodachrome 64 and VR-100 films in a 35mm camera whose ASA meter setting remains
at 80 at all times.  The slide results are very pleasing (more saturated colors
+ highlights with more detail) and the negatives are exposed long enough to
PRINT shadows and highlights correctly.  One pro that I know ALWAYS shoots ASA
200 negative film metered at ASA 100 for portrait/wedding work.  This allows
him the greatest latitude in PRINTING his shadow/highlight balances.

The results are very pleasing to the eye.  One warning though.  Even very good
negatives can be PRINTED by machines run by less than craftsmanlike people.
This possibly can cancel the effects of your careful exposure balance.  Choose
the really good negatives for enlargement and THEN you will see the fruits of
your labors.  It is not the size of the enlargement that makes the difference,
it is rather in the ability of the person printing it to match contrasts.

davel@zehntel.UUCP (David Longerbeam) (01/15/86)

> In article <75@ttidcc.UUCP> ward@ttidcc.UUCP (Don Ward) writes:
> >The current issue of Popular Photography has an article wherein the
> >author recommends overexposing color negative film by 1/3 stop and
> >underexposing positive color film by 1/3 stop.  The contention (for

> I will check out that issue of Popular Photography tomorrow and see what
> that author says.

I believe that the article in question was in Modern Photography, and it
was a review of the new version of a popular "Day Lab" for enlarging
color slides and prints.

--
David Longerbeam @ Zehntel Automation Systems, Walnut Creek, CA
{ihnp4,ucbvax}!zehntel!davel