[net.rec.photo] what photo equip to take to europe

ecs275w025@ucdavis.UUCP (Bill Franklin) (02/06/86)

I will be travelling in Southern Spain, and Mallorca for 2 weeks(end of
March and early April) and am looking for reccomendations of what to take.
I will probably be returning to this area again so seeing everything on
this pass is not a neccesity.

I haven't been to Europe since I was a child
and lived over there, and have never been to Spain.  I currently have a
Nikon FM, a 28mm lense and the standard 50mm plus one of Vivitar's
better flash units.  At one time I had done a fair amount of
photography and got rid of most of my equipment, so I am not
to incompetent.

I would like to know if anyone out there has any suggestions on what
to take equipment wise.  I was thinking about purchasing the Nikon E-series
80-200mm class zoom lens, and a good hand held light meter.  I am interested
in some of the art and architecture left by the Romans, and some of the
Fresco art work, so I may be working indoors without flash.  Probably
use some of the 1000ASA films.  I was figuring on shooting about 15 rolls
of slides.  Does 1000ASA come in slides??  Any suggestions on what to take,
or leave home??  Also a good bag, preferably one that doesn't look like
a touristy-american bag that yells "Steal Me."  Finally is it better to
buy all of the film here, and take it over, or can I get some over there??
Also any suggestions on the leaded bags they make to protect film from
x-rays at airports??

		Thanks,
		Bill Franklin
		...!ucbvax!ucdavis!franklin

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (02/10/86)

[]
My advice, based on one trip to England last summer, would be to get
a 28-80 zoom and leave all the other lenses home. I carried one in that
range,(a Kiron which I do not reccommend), also a Vivitar Series 1
70-200 (or thereabouts) plus "backup" 28 and 35 lenses. Also had a second
body (Nikkormat) and an Olympus XA.  The XA was handy at times. Two
cameras of Nikon size were too much to manage at once. The 28-80 is a
<much> more useful range for general touristy purposes than the longer
zoom.  You will be seeing a lot of scenery in Spain, both man-made
and otherwise. The wide angle to short tele will be by far the most
useful range.
I am thinking of buying the Vivitar Series 1 in this range as I believe
my Kiron may have had it. I took a giant bag and everything but the kitchen
sink. Don't reccommend it except for its body building effects. I took
my own film and was not sorry although film eas widely available in
England - don't know if the same would be true in Spain.
Good Luck,

--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

blake@sx7000.UUCP (Chris Blake) (02/10/86)

> I will be travelling in Southern Spain, and Mallorca for 2 weeks(end of
> March and early April) and am looking for reccomendations of what to take.

  Some depends on your mode of travel.  Don't bring a lot of stuff if youre
traveling a lot and on trains.  It'll be burdonsome.  When I went I brought
8 rolls of asa100 and 400 film, my basic camera body, a 50mm lens and a
zoom.  It suited me well and I got to travel comfortably for a month.  Also,
don't take anything you value too much.  Spain is full of pickpockets and
thieves ( not everyone, but more than elsewhere in Europe ) and I met 3
fellow travelers who lost their camera bags to clever thieves. ( One was
really bad.  The thief tapped my friend on the left shoulder and when my
friend turned to see who was there, the guy took his bag from his right
hand. )     Happy travels!!!

                          C. Blake @ Sperry Corp. Roseville, MN.

smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) (02/11/86)

> My advice, based on one trip to England last summer, would be to get
> a 28-80 zoom and leave all the other lenses home.

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxl!smh

I have found that I can travel with only a 35mm and a 100mm macro. The 100mm
macro is an ideal lens for me since I do a lot of flash close-up work, and
it doubles as my telephoto lens.  However the 35mm gets used most.  I usually
carry a 24mm, 50mm, and 200mm also.  After a bad experience, I will never
use a zoom or any other lens that does not have optimum image contrast.
I discovered the hard way how cloudy-bright skies can cause hideous
flare in a less than optimum lens.  I had too lenses, one a Zeiss and the
other was less than optimum.  The pictures from the Zeiss were perfect, the
the other lens took pictures that looked like they were taken on a foggy day.
Never again will I try to cut corners.  I use 2 bodies, one with 64 speed
film for maximum resolution and color accuracy.  The other is 400 speed
for use with telephoto shots and low light shots.  I have a light weight
flash that I usually take along.
On a recent trips to Alaska, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Scotland, Iceland,
and Hawaii I used this combination with great results.  The trick is good
camera bags.  I use 2: one for the 100mm, 200mm and one body, and another
or the 24mm, 35mm, and 50mm.  Thats it.  I try to leave the flash with my
luggage unless I know I will need it.  I carry all my own film.  I carry
it in lead shielded bags in a thermal (six-pack) bag.  I never buy film
unless I know it is fresh and has had cool storage.  Most tourist spots are
in hot locations with lousy film storage.  Also, I number each roll as I
take it out of my cameras so it is easy to edit the slides.

kanner@tymix.UUCP (Herb Kanner) (02/11/86)

In article <1647@hound.UUCP> rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) writes:
>[]
>My advice, based on one trip to England last summer, would be to get
>a 28-80 zoom and leave all the other lenses home.

I enthusiastically agree.  The Vivitar Series 1 28-90 is a good one, but be
warned, it is not a true zoom, but a "varifocal" lens.  If you are
interested in both B & W and color, a good toy to put in your pocket is a
Minox 35GT.  They can be picked up for $109 plus shipping from the New York
mail order houses.  I wandered all over England a few years ago with XP1
film in that and Kodachrome in a Rollei 35.   In general, the Minox has
proved to be quite a workhorse simply because it is in my pocket 100% of
the time.  Normally, it has 400 asa XP1 in it, but on vacations or other
special circumstances I have been known to put Ektachrome 200 in it.  My
philosophy these days is to carry fast film in pocket cameras and save the
slow stuff, e.g. Kodachrome, for the SLRs.

--
Herb Kanner
McDonnell Douglas (TYMNET)