[net.rec.photo] Telephoto Zoom lens

jbs@hropus.UUCP (J. B. SKIENDZIEL) (01/08/86)

I'm new to usernet so please bear with me.
I own a Pentax ME super camera and would like to purchase
a zoom telephotp lense. I am willing to spend up to $150.00.
I was looking at the Tokina SMZ 80-200mm 3.5 -4.5 Macro lens.
I have several questions about telephoto lens

1) Has any one had any experience with this lense or any Tokina lens
before. I 've read consumers Report and they seemed impressed by this
lens.

2) As far as Tokina lenses go, what is the difference between a lens
marked SMZ or ATX?

3) Does anyone recommend another lens in the same price range?

I would appreciate any responses. You could send them to me at
hropus!jbs or respond in the net.

Thanks.
		J. B. Skiendziel

jar@siemens.UUCP (01/09/86)

I have the Pentax ME (without super) and only the Tokina SMZ 35-105
(3.5-4.3). I heavily used them the last 4 years (about 5000 slides
have been made in that time).
The quality is very satisfying for me but not in the macro distance
(pillow and barrel effects) which I knew before I bought it. It was
the only one of that kind in those days.
And after 4 years? There is only one small problem now: It zooms
automatically if the camera faces the floor which can be bad in some
cases (this effect is very limited but it is there).

Juergen A. Reimann
Research & Technologie Lab.
Siemens
105 College Road East
Princeton NJ 08540

(609) 734-6527

ihnp4!adrvax!siemens!jar

jorge@genat.UUCP (Jorge Olenewa) (02/18/86)

In article <203@hropus.UUCP> jbs@hropus.UUCP (J. B. SKIENDZIEL) writes:

>1) Has any one had any experience with this lense or any Tokina lens
>before. I 've read consumers Report and they seemed impressed by this
>lens.

Tokina lenses are usually regarded as high quality lenses.  I hear they
are very popular in Europe.  Some news photografers have been using the
80-200ATX and they seem to like it (not as durable but for the price they
usually buy two).

>2) As far as Tokina lenses go, what is the difference between a lens
>marked SMZ or ATX?

ATX lenses use special glass (low dispersion, only really useful beyond
180mm) and are usually faster (if you want to know more, try any good, recent
35mm photo book from your local library).

>3) Does anyone recommend another lens in the same price range?

Sorry,  I use fixed focal lenght Nikkors but from the research I did this
and Tamron would probably be your best bets.

Hope this is helpful.

Jorge L. Olenewa
Genamation Inc.
351 Steelcase Rd.  West