[net.rec.photo] "Regular" auto flash with Canon T70

gjb@unirot.UUCP (Greg Brail) (02/26/86)

	I am currently "trying out" a friend's Canon T70, Canon's new
super-automatic camera. I have a Vivitar 273 flash, the 'standard'
automatic flash. It's not dedicated, as I only used it before with my
FTb. The T70 supposedly works with the Canon 277T (?) flash, which
seems to do absaolutely everything except bounce, which makes it
useless for me. It will also work with the A-series Speedlites, which
set the shutter speed and f-stop automatically.
	The camera x-syncs at 1/90 sec. This would be no problem for
by non-dedicated flash, except that there's no way to set the shutter
speed to that speed manually. The manual and shutter-priority modes
just have the 'ordinary' speeds.
	My question is, is there a way to use this flash, or will I
have to buy a new one? Would it work if I just put the shutter speed
on 1/60?
	Incidentally, I've found the T70 to be the first fully
automatic Canon I've seen. It has a spot metering mode, so the camera
doesn't just do what it wants like other automatics. I just wish I
could turn the built-in autowinder off sometimes.

				-Greg
--
--------------

Greg Brail  	(Greg @ The Soup Kitchen)
UUCP : ..{ihnp4,seismo,harvard,ut-sally,allegra}!caip!unirot!gjb
ARPA : unirot!gjb@caip.rutgers.edu
USNAIL : Don't bother.

mujica@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/27/86)

In article <312@unirot.UUCP> gjb@unirot.UUCP (Greg Brail) writes:

>	The camera x-syncs at 1/90 sec. This would be no problem for
>by non-dedicated flash, except that there's no way to set the shutter
>speed to that speed manually. The manual and shutter-priority modes
>just have the 'ordinary' speeds.

      You can set the shutter to 1/60 sec. The problem with
      synchronization  arises when you try to use higher
      speeds than those recommende for your camera. In that
      case the flash will "flash" when the shutter curtain
      is moving and only a part of your picture will be
      lighted. The flash only lights for a small time
      interval, usually smaller than 1/1000 sec.

--
Sergio Mujica
Computer Science Department, UCLA

mujica@ucla-locus.arpa   ...!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!mujica