[net.rec.photo] Using a "still" camera for animation

dave@onfcanim.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (03/07/86)

In article <2282@utcsri.UUCP> hofbauer@utcsri.UUCP (John Hofbauer) writes:

>Any camera could be used for single-frame animation *IF* the registration
>problem can be solved. I recall a NIKON F3 was used to do some of the
>special effects in INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM.  The problem
>of registration might be harder to solve on a 'blad, but in principle
>it could be done.

True in theory, but probably pretty difficult in practice.  Movie
cameras either have moving registration pins that insert into the film
moving along a fixed path (the Mitchell movement), or fixed
registration pins and a movement that lifts the film away from the
pins, moves it, and presses it back onto the pins (the Bell and Howell
movement).  Adding a moving registration pin to a still camera would be
a major piece of engineering, made worse on the Hasselblad because it
wasn't built to use sprocketed film in the first place.  Adding a
B&H-type movement would probably require replacing much of the film
path no matter what you started with.

Do you know anything about how the Nikon was modified?

Anyway, my original comments were about a stock Hasselblad, not what
you might be able to do by modifying it.

(I've deleted net.columbia from the newsgroup list, since this no longer
seems relevant to the shuttle.)

	Dave Martindale

dougw@pyramid.UUCP (Doug Wong) (03/11/86)

In article <14790@onfcanim.UUCP> dave@onfcanim.UUCP (Dave Martindale) writes:
>In article <2282@utcsri.UUCP> hofbauer@utcsri.UUCP (John Hofbauer) writes:
>>
>>Any camera could be used for single-frame animation *IF* the registration
>>problem can be solved. I recall a NIKON F3 was used to do some of the
>>special effects in INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM.  The problem
>>of registration might be harder to solve on a 'blad, but in principle
>>it could be done.
>
>True in theory, but probably pretty difficult in practice.
>
>Do you know anything about how the Nikon was modified?

As a matter of fact I do. Precise film registration is also required for
some multi-image slide shows (i.e. projecting slides where the images
from multiple projectors must overlap exactly), and for other applications.
The following info is from "Nikon World", Vol. 14, No. 1, June 1981.

Please note that I have no connection with any of the companies mentioned,
and have never used the described products.

*		Two Firms Offer Pin-Registered Nikons
*
*	It is widely known that Nikon is a favorite camera for photojounalists,
* deep-sea divers, and astronauts. But did you know that Nikon is the 35mm of
* choice for graphic artists, map makers, and animators?
*	It's true, and two companies, Oxberry Inc and Maximilian Kerr Assoc.,
* are marketing specially modified pin-registered Nikon systems that meet the
* demands of the most discriminating multi-image photographer.
*	Oxberry's "Pro Copy Camera System" features a modified Nikon F2 camera
* body, with MD-3 motor drive, electronic pin-registered camera back, AC/DC
* power supply, 55mm Micro-Nikkor lens, and field guide. Oxberry claims to
* make 14 modifications to the Nikon F2 body resulting in a Pro Copy Camera
* "which will always advance to the correct position and stay in register
* exposure after exposure, even when you wind back and advance through a
* second, third, or tenth series."
*	The big news about Maximillian Kerr's "Pin Registered SS-F3 Camera
* System" is a new 3-pin configuration. Kerr claims an accuracy of
* +- 0.0001 "with moveable pins and pin-registration as close as 0.093"
* from optical center. Other SS-F3 features include an improved Slide-magic
* Optical Grid (focusing screen), fast film rollback, forward and backwinding
* film counter, and provisions for Rotoscope Projection.
*	For more information on these two pin-registration systems, write:
*
* 		Maximilian Kerr Associates Inc
*		2040 State Highway 35
*		Wall, N.J. 07719
* or
*
*		Oxberry
*		Division of Richmark Camera Service
*		180 Broad Street
*		Carlstadt, N.J. 07072
*
* (Nikon makes a disclaimer stating that the specs are that of the companies
* and that Nikon has nothing to do with these people)

While this info is over five years old (amazingly I remembered where it
was 8-) ), I recall seeing other info about pin-registered systems for
multi-image shows within the last year, but unfortunately cannot find the
source. As I recall, the system (using an F3) was very, very expensive.

			Doug Wong