[net.rec.photo] Canon T90: Has anyone used/heard about it?

gjb@unirot.UUCP (Greg Brail) (03/24/86)

    I just saw an ad for the new Canon T90. It has 7 programmed
modes, 3 metering systems, a 1/4000 shutter speed, and X-sync at
1/250. It's about time Canon made a camera with these things, since
Nikon has had them for a while now. Has anyone used this camera? Does
anyone know anything else about it? What prices have you seen?
    Also, this leads me to the inevitable question: Would you
recommend a T90 or an F-1? This depends, of course, on price, whether
or not the T90 has a real manual mode (I doubt it), and how well the
T90 is built. It also brings in the old superautomatic camera vs.
manual camera debate. Of course, I'll still have my FTb...
		    -Greg

tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (03/27/86)

<to post or not to post, that is the question>

gjb@unirot.UUCP (Greg Brail) writes:

>    Also, this leads me to the inevitable question: Would you
>recommend a T90 or an F-1? This depends, of course, on price, whether
>or not the T90 has a real manual mode (I doubt it), and how well the
>T90 is built. It also brings in the old superautomatic camera vs.
>manual camera debate. Of course, I'll still have my FTb...

The answer is, YES!  Ummm, seriously, T90 is considerably less
expensive than a New F-1, and in fact costs only a little bit more
than a good used F-1 (old model) with a motor drive.  Which is better?
Well, let's see...
			T90		New F-1 (AE finder, AE motor drive)
Program modes		7		-
Auto modes (~flash)	2		2
Metering modes		3		3 (requires new focusing screens)
Manual/stopdown		Y/Y		Y/Y (match-needle)
Shutter speed range	30-1/4000	8-1/2000 (no half-stop speeds)
Discount price (est.)	$400		$650

In addition, T-90 has more flash modes, is lighter and has better
ergonomics, and has a metal shutter. New F-1 will last forever and can
be run over by a truck, can take averse conditions, has mechanical
shutter speeds, has interchangeable viewfinders and a 100-exposure
film chamber.

I played with a T90 the other day, and I was sorely tempted until I
found out the store wanted $649 (CDN) for just the body -- that's
$465 US!  Maybe I should wait for a bit longer and get an F-1 instead.
Right now I have an FTb (does anybody out there have a real FT --- the
FTb's predecessor?) and a T70, and I'm considering replacing the
latter despite its rather short service, as neither camera can take a
motor drive.  :-(   I consider the T90 to be a "semi-professional" camera,
given the motor drive, focusing screens and so on.

How do the rest of you people out there feel about these cameras?  How
long will a plastic body (such as T90, or any other T-series camera)
last anyway?

\tom haapanen						/ watrose!tohaapanen
university of waterloo			    ..!watmath <-- watmum!tohaapanen
							\ watlion!tohaapanen
I am one in ten, a number on a list
I am one in ten, even though I don't exist
No-body knows me, though I'm always there
A statistical reminder of a world that doesn't care           (c) UB40, 1981

howard@sfsup.UUCP (H.M.Moskovitz) (03/27/86)

> How do the rest of you people out there feel about these cameras?  How
> long will a plastic body (such as T90, or any other T-series camera)
> last anyway?

I own an A-1 currently, and the T-90 is made out of
a simialr material. The A-1 has been very durable; I even
dropped it once with no damage done. Many feel that plastic is
advantageous over metal since in a bad drop it will break rather
than bend which supposedly protects the innards of the camera; sort
of a crash helmet effect.

					Howard Moskovitz
					AT&T Info. Systems
					attunix!howard