[fa.info-cpm] TRS-80 Model 16

C70:info-cpm (07/14/82)

>From w8sdz@BRL Wed Jul 14 03:20:24 1982
For those TRS users with interest in CP/M the follow is
forwarded.  Replies to the address below, not me, please.

----- Forwarded message # 1:

Date: 13 Jul 1982 2233-PDT
From: STERNLIGHT at USC-ECL
Subject: TRS-80 Model 16
To:   info-micro at BRL
Via:  Usc-Ecl; 14 Jul 82 2:10-EDT

I just had an installation and service call on my new TRS-80 Mod 16.
It turns out that it runs memory-mapped video programs like
wordstar, vedit, etc just fine as configured for Pickles and
Trout CP/M for the Model II.  The problem was a defective Z-80
board in the Model 16, and rumor has it that a few of the early
production Model 16's all had the same defect, allegedly caused
by a couple of bad jumpers.  The problem only shows up when you
try to access the screen via Pickles and Trout calls.

I spoke to Greg Pickles today and he tells me that they are ready
to release their cp/m for the Mod 16 in Mod II mode, now.  It
will support both sides of the Tandon drive(s).  They are only
waiting for the documentation to be xeroxed.

BTW-There is an outfit in Oregon advertising a converter program
to get TRSDOS Model II Visicalc running under P&T cp/m and also TRSDOS
basic (a little different than Microsoft cp/m MBASIC) running under
P&T cp/m.  They both work fine; I bought them.  They also have a backup
and a disk format utility that copy Pickles and Trout cp/m disks,
including all system tracks from any disk to a blank one.  That saves
a lot of time when using a modified cp/m, as, for example ZCPR modified
CCP.  The backup is also very fast (45 sec for a full copy) since
it goes straight to the disk ports, avoiding cp/m.

--david--
-------

----- End of forwarded messages