[fa.info-cpm] Using CP/M 3.0

info-cpm (11/28/82)

>From Gumby.MIT-OZ@Mit-Mc  Sun Nov 28 15:19:52 1982
To: Lauren Weinstein <vortex!lauren@Lbl-Unix>
Cc: info-cpm@BRL, gumby@Mit-Mc
Via:  Mit-Mc; 28 Nov 82 17:11-EST
Via:  Brl; 28 Nov 82 17:17-EST
Via:  Brl-Bmd; 28 Nov 82 17:48-EST

This is just off the top of my head; I know nothing of its logistics or
feasability, etc, but..

    Date: Wed Nov 24 1982 20:18:41 PST
    From: Lauren Weinstein <vortex!lauren@Lbl-Unix>
    Subject: CP/M 3.0, continued.
    To: lbl-unix!info-cpm at BRL

    I claim that the bottom line remains the same -- 3.0 has been oriented
    almost totally toward the OEM who plans to run many "identical"
    systems (or nearly so), and doesn't mind a very complex bios since
    there is only one hardware configuration to worry about.  The fact
    that D.R. has told non-OEM's to "go away" when it comes to 3.0 is
    highly suspicious.  I won't even drag up the issue of documentation
    quality again... we all know about that.

What's wrong with a bunch of people getting together (say, 25 or 30 -- a
club, perhaps), buying an OEM license, and then helping each other
configure similar copies of 3.0 with ZCPR and any other features they
want? Perhaps a bunch from the net can get together and un-hair most of
the interfacing code -- standardising the parts we use which are the
same.

I've always wondered what extra info an OEM got on CPM anyway, and as a
member of a corporation like this, I would be able to see. I wouldn't be
ablle to show other people, but that's about what it's like these days
with other software packages.

info-cpm (11/29/82)

>From W8SDZ@Mit-Mc  Sun Nov 28 18:12:01 1982
To: GUMBY@Mit-Mc
Cc: Info-Cpm@BRL
Via:  Mit-Mc; 28 Nov 82 20:13-EST
Via:  Brl; 28 Nov 82 20:14-EST
Via:  Brl-Bmd; 28 Nov 82 20:33-EST

Sol Libes says that Dave Hardy and Bruce Ratoff are both working on
articles which will detail how to set up a CBIOS for CP/M 3.0.  The
articles are supposed to be published very soon in "Microsystems"
magazine and the source code may be made available to the RCPM
community so people can call and download them instead of having to
type it all into their editors.  I will keep everyone informed on this
through Info-Cpm.  It may be possible to make these files available to
the Arpanet community for those who have FTP capability.  In the
meantime, watch "Microsystems" for the articles to appear.