[fa.info-cpm] id A11717; 4-Dec-82 05:26:42-PST

info-cpm (12/04/82)

>From STORK@Mit-Mc  Sat Dec  4 05:07:24 1982
To: info-cpm@BRL
Via:  Mit-Mc; 4 Dec 82 6:58-EST
Via:  Brl; 4 Dec 82 7:09-EST
Via:  Brl-Bmd; 4 Dec 82 7:24-EST

Subject: Portable Micros.
My son is off to college soon.  He's been doing his work on
a micro for over two years, and I can't expect him to go back to a
typewriter, so am planning to get him a portale micro (like OSBORNE,
KAYPRO, what have you).
Question:  What experience have people had with various units? Any
advice of what to get (not to get)?  Any reason to wait a
few months because something much better is just around the corner?
Comments will be much appreciated.

info-cpm (12/07/82)

>From teklabs!tekcrd!tekmdp!scotth@Ucb-C70  Mon Dec  6 21:19:02 1982
To: azure!tekcrd!teklabs!ucbcad!ucbvax.info-cpm@Ucb-C70
Via:  Mit-Ai; 6 Dec 82 17:21-EST
Via:  Brl; 6 Dec 82 17:39-EST
Via:  Brl-Bmd; 6 Dec 82 17:44-EST

From:	Scott Herzinger on OTRONA Attache

	Just found out that my uucp address is:

	tektronix!tekmdp!scotth

	for whatever that's worth.  I can't give justice to the
	OTRONA.  It's a beautifully engineered system.  I will
	be sending my compliments to the engineers.  After seeing
	the system, you probably will, too.
	the system, you probably will, too.

info-cpm (12/07/82)

>From teklabs!tekcrd!tekmdp!scotth@Ucb-C70  Mon Dec  6 22:09:18 1982
To: azure!tekcrd!teklabs!ucbcad!ucbvax.info-cpm@Ucb-C70
Via:  Mit-Ai; 6 Dec 82 17:24-EST
Via:  Brl; 6 Dec 82 17:39-EST
Via:  Brl-Bmd; 6 Dec 82 17:46-EST

Regarding portables for sons-off-to-college:

I have used the Kaypro-II, thought it an adequate solution.  The Osborne
doesn't please me very much, but I haven't seen it outside the showroom.
I do like the Kaypro for what it offers, which is a simple CP/M system,
without a whole lot of extra features.  If 64K is enough main store, and
200K on each of two drives is enough mass store, then it ought to be
adequate for a freshman or sophomore.

The best portable (truly defining the term "portable"; the Kaypro and
Osborne are merely "moveable") system, at least from my engineering
standpoint, is the OTRONA Attache.

The Attache is also a 64K CP/M system, 360K per shock-mounted disk drive.
But it has a LOT of big pluses, which can't all be listed here, but
include:
	Real time clock
	Bus extender (S-100, GPIB, STD)
	DMA
	Fully interrupt driven
	Graphics (damn good, too)
	comes with Wordstar (customized to keyboard), MBASIC(for what
		it's worth), software to utilize the clock, graphics
		tools, a RPN calculator, nice version of CP/M...

The cost is a little higher ($3995), but it's engineering cost well
spent.  The system is professional, harddisk, 16-bit processor are
planned extensions, battery-pack is available, 12-volt for use in
campers etc, high-resolution screen, the list is long.

The machine is an 8-bitter that will carry the user a long way into
the future (specifically through college and graduate school and
them some).  I am impressed with the machine and plan to acquire one.
You may wish to contact OTRONA at
	OTRONA Corporation
	4755 Walnut Street
	Boulder, Colorado 80301