[fa.info-cpm] BDS-C Benchmarks

info-cpm (12/08/82)

>From chesley.tsca@Sri-Tsc  Wed Dec  8 00:35:14 1982
To: INFO-CPM@Mit-Mc
Via:  Sri-Tsca; 7 Dec 82 11:35-PST
Via:  Mit-Mc; 7 Dec 82 15:01-EST
Via:  Brl; 7 Dec 82 15:20-EST
Via:  Brl-Bmd; 7 Dec 82 15:23-EST

	One thing to watch out for when doing BDS-C benchmarks is the
huge difference between the code generated with no switches, and that
generated with -o and -e (and making any variables that can be globals).
(The person doing the Aztec benchmark didn't mention which way he did it.)
	I recently did a benchmark of BDS-C versus C/80, using the Byte
prime number program.  Without -o and -e, BDS-C took 41 seconds (this is
timed from after the program loads to the next "A>" prompt (i.e., after
the reboot), and thus may not compare to other numbers times from different
points).  With -o and -e, it took 17 seconds!  C/80 took (if I remember
correctly) 28 seconds.
	--Harry...

info-cpm (12/08/82)

>From RMS.G.BANDY.MIT-OZ@BRL  Wed Dec  8 13:13:16 1982
To: chesley.tsca@Sri-Tsc
Cc: INFO-CPM@Mit-Mc
Via:  Mit-Mc; 8 Dec 82 4:38-EST
Via:  Brl; 8 Dec 82 4:54-EST
Via:  Brl-Bmd; 8 Dec 82 4:59-EST

another thing to consider is BDS-C with NOBOOT installed vs BDS-C without
noboot -- a friend of mine has a H-89, and it takes 10+ secs to reboot!
(that's DISguSTING!)
-------