[fa.info-cpm] what are computers for?

info-cpm (12/08/82)

>From lauren@Lbl-Unix  Wed Dec  8 13:11:47 1982
To: ELIOT@Mit-Mc
Cc: INFO-CPM@BRL
Via:  Lbl-Unix; 8 Dec 82 4:33-EST
Via:  Brl; 8 Dec 82 4:38-EST
Via:  Brl-Bmd; 8 Dec 82 4:58-EST

Eliot,

You must be kidding.  What do you use ANY micro for? MARC simplyy provides
a decent environment and a reasonable set of utilities to help enable
the user to comfortably do whatever it is they *want* to do.

Since the environment is reasonable to start with, all the P.D. programs
like DUPUSER, XDIR, D, and a multitude of others are not needed with
MARC, since those programs were efforts to raise CP/M to a more
reasonable level than where it started.  Some of the other useful
programs (like SQ, USQ, DIFF, etc.) now have MARC versions which
are generally more flexible than their CP/M counterparts, since they
can take advantage of those features already in MARC, instead of having
to fight their way around restrictions in CP/M.  Most, if not all,
of these sorts of utilities should be released with the system, assuming
I can get the proper permissions from the original authors.

I will probably not be in a position to read mail again for a couple
of days, so if you have any more questions, please don't expect a terribly
quick reply.  In any case, I might suggest that some of your questions
(particularly the last) might be better handled in private mail or with
a simple phone call.  I don't think it's fair to the other readers
for us to turn this list into a continuous MARC question and answer
session.  Thanks much.

--Lauren--

helge (12/08/82)

lauren:
the MARC question and answer sessions provide a lot of interesting info
on MARC itself and M vs. cpm. i am sure there are lots of readers out there
who find the sessions interesting!!

helge

info-cpm (12/09/82)

>From RMS.G.BANDY.MIT-OZ@Mit-Mc  Wed Dec  8 23:41:15 1982
To: lauren@Lbl-Unix
Cc: ELIOT@Mit-Mc, INFO-CPM@BRL
Via:  Mit-Mc; 8 Dec 82 19:34-EST
Via:  Brl; 8 Dec 82 19:50-EST
Via:  Brl-Bmd; 8 Dec 82 19:53-EST

why to play games, of course!

is there anybody else out there doing SERIOUS programming
for the osborne (NO basic or (ugh!) pascal)? would like
to get in touch!
					-andy
-------

info-cpm (12/09/82)

>From ELIOT@Mit-Mc  Thu Dec  9 01:15:44 1982
To: lauren.LBL-CSAM@BRL
Cc: info-cpm@BRL
Via:  Mit-Mc; 8 Dec 82 22:48-EST
Via:  Brl; 8 Dec 82 23:02-EST
Via:  Brl-Bmd; 8 Dec 82 23:19-EST

When I made that statement, I was just kidding, HONEST!

						-Eliot at Mit-DM