[fa.info-cpm] 300/1200 baud

info-cpm (12/19/82)

>From PLEHN@Mit-Mc  Thu Dec 16 17:45:04 1982
To: INFO-CPM@BRL
Via:  Mit-Mc; 18 Dec 82 21:03-EST
Via:  Brl; 18 Dec 82 21:20-EST
Via:  Brl-Bmd; 18 Dec 82 22:05-EST

It won't be long now.  PMMI expects to make their new
103/212A s-100 modem available in May.  This info is right from
Craig Brown, a principal in the company.  It will have lots of
nice features like ability to distinguish ringing and busy signals,
DTMF (tone) dialing etc.  The 300 baud part of the modem will not
be the equal of their MM103 modem.  That is, it won't use the
expensive laser-trimmed filter components for the 300 baud section
such as the MM-103 does.  That would make it too expensive to be
competitive.
If anyone has any ideas in the way of features that they think
should be included in the new modem let me know and I will pass
the info along to Craig at PMMI.

info-cpm (12/19/82)

>From CSTROM@Mit-Mc  Fri Dec 17 05:44:55 1982
To: PLEHN@Mit-Mc
Cc: Info-CPM@BRL
Via:  Mit-Mc; 19 Dec 82 8:35-EST
Via:  Brl; 19 Dec 82 8:53-EST
Via:  Brl-Bmd; 19 Dec 82 9:07-EST

One of the nicest features of the MM-103 is that we can use it up to
600 baud routinely cross-country (and at 710 baud under ideal
conditions.) I infer from your comment that this would no longer be
possible with the new unit if the 103 circuitry is of lower quality.
The MM-103 has become a de-facto standard for RCPM's and others
interested in the dostribution of public domain CP/M software. It
would be a real shame to ignore the installed user base by going off
tangentially with a partially incompatible product if such is the
case, though I can understand the cost considerations.