[fa.info-cpm] VT180

info-cpm (12/25/82)

>From coar.umass@Udel-Relay  Fri Dec 24 21:48:53 1982
To: info-cpm.umass@Udel-Relay
Cc: coar.umass@Udel-Relay
Via:  UMASS-ECE; 24 Dec 82 20:47-EST
Via:  Mit-Mc; 24 Dec 82 20:56-EST
Via:  Brl; 24 Dec 82 21:32-EST
Via:  Brl-Bmd; 24 Dec 82 21:44-EST

Does anyone out there use a DEC VT180? And, if so, would
they care to express opinions on it? I have heard about
them, but no details; and it would be a good thing for me
(if they are any good), since I already have a VT100...

Any opinions sent to me will be consolidated and sent here
if there is enough in the way of responses.

Thanx.

	ken
	coar.umass@udel-relay

info-cpm (12/25/82)

>From coar.umass@Udel-Relay  Fri Dec 24 22:01:17 1982
To: info-cpm.umass@Udel-Relay
Cc: coar.umass@Udel-Relay
Via:  UMASS-ECE; 24 Dec 82 20:51-EST
Via:  Mit-Mc; 24 Dec 82 20:57-EST
Via:  Brl; 24 Dec 82 21:32-EST
Via:  Brl-Bmd; 24 Dec 82 21:45-EST

Does anyone out there use a DEC VT180? And, if so, would
they care to express opinions on it? I have heard about
them, but no details; and it would be a good thing for me
(if they are any good), since I already have a VT100...

Any opinions sent to me will be consolidated and sent here
if there is enough in the way of responses.

Thanx.

	ken
	coar.umass@udel-relay

info-cpm (12/26/82)

>From POURNE@Mit-Mc  Sun Dec 26 00:51:37 1982
To: coar.umass@Udel-Relay
Cc: info-cpm@BRL, info-cpm.umass@Udel-Relay
Via:  Mit-Mc; 26 Dec 82 2:14-EST
Via:  Brl; 26 Dec 82 2:40-EST
Via:  Brl-Bmd; 26 Dec 82 2:32-EST

	Digital (DEC , not Digital Research) sent me the
conversion kit for making a VT-100 into a VT-180.  We inst alled
it.  If you like Apples, you may like this; alas, the disk
drives don't seat wel, and you have mounting problems getting
the machin e to believe the disks are in there.  Once you have
them seated and moutned, all seems well, and it is a good
machine; but I never had a machine that had more problems
getting it booted.  The conversion is simple, (I don't recall
what it costs) and if you have a VT-100 it doesn't harm the
terminal capabilities, but rather enhances them; but I guarantee
you will go mad if you try using it long.
	They were supposed to have a FIX for that; some system
that would spin up the drives as you were closing the doors or
something; but if they do, I have not ever got it (and the
people at DEC I was dealing with seem no longer to be in that
division, but rather are now off with the rainbow and thus
uninterested in the VT-180.)  I get the impression that DEC
regarded the VT-180 as a thing to keep their name prominent
while they got out the Rinabow, and that they no longer care
about it.  That may be an uncharitable view, but I have no
evidence to the contrary.
JEP

info-cpm (12/27/82)

>From POURNE@Mit-Mc  Sun Dec 26 20:25:40 1982