[fa.info-cpm] ZCPR?

info-cpm (12/09/82)

>From menlo70!sytek!msm@Ucb-C70  Wed Dec  8 23:34:46 1982
To: menlo70!ucbvax!info-cpm@Ucb-C70
Via:  Mit-Ai; 8 Dec 82 19:04-EST
Via:  Brl; 8 Dec 82 19:17-EST
Via:  Brl-Bmd; 8 Dec 82 19:21-EST

In the recent messages discussing CPM 3.0, something called ZCPR was mentioned.
Could someone please elaborate on what it is and how to get it.

Thank You.

					Michael S. Maiten
					Silicon Gulch, California
					<...!{ucbvax!menlo70,decvax}!sytek!msm>

info-cpm (12/15/82)

>From ucbvax!W8SDZ@Mit-Mc  Sun Dec 12 21:40:27 1982
To: menlo70!sytek!msm@Ucb-C70
Cc: menlo70!ucbvax!info-cpm@Ucb-C70
Via:  Mit-Ai; 10 Dec 82 12:24-EST
Via:  Brl; 10 Dec 82 12:42-EST
Via:  Brl-Bmd; 10 Dec 82 13:05-EST

ZCPR means "Z80 CCP Replacement".  It offers many new features not in
the "stock" DR CCP, takes same 2k space, is fully documented with
instructions on how to install it (needs an experienced
machine-language programmer to do it, however).  Those who've used it
like it so much they don't use their distribution CCP anymore.

ZCPR files are available on almost any "Remote CP/M" system via modem.
See any RCPMLIST for phone numbers.

info-cpm (12/15/82)

>From ucbvax!rconn@BRL  Sun Dec 12 21:41:46 1982
To: menlo70!sytek!msm@Ucb-C70
Cc: menlo70!ucbvax!info-cpm@Ucb-C70, rconn@BRL
Via:  Mit-Ai; 10 Dec 82 12:26-EST
Via:  Brl; 10 Dec 82 12:42-EST
Via:  Brl-Bmd; 10 Dec 82 13:08-EST

        ZCPR, which stands for Z80 Command Processor Replacement,
is a replacement for the CP/M 2.2 CCP.  It gives the user several
advantages over the conventional CP/M 2.2 CCP, which include:

                o command-search hierarchy, where if the desired
                        COM file is not found in the current
                        disk/user, ZCPR will automatically search
                        for it in current disk/user 0 and then A0:
                        before giving up

                o enhancements on several of the CCP-resident commands:
                        SAVE's argument may be in Hex or Decimal
                        TYPE can page or not page as desired
                        LIST is like a non-paging TYPE to the printer
                        DIR can display SYS files or both SYS and DIR
                        GO reexecutes the last command loaded
                        GET manually loads a file into memory at a
                                location specified by the user
                        DFU allows the search to go to some other
                                user than 0

                o the ZCPR prompt displays the disk and user number

        There are other features as well, but  I  won't  go  into
them now.  ZCPR is in the public domain (=FREE), and is available
on several Remote CP/M systems, on MIT-MC in  the  CPM  archives,
and  in  the SIG/M User's Group (which will cost about $5 for the
disk and handling) in Vol 77.

        ZCPR2, which I consider to be a greatly  enhanced  imple-
mentation  of the ZCPR concept, will be released shortly.  It in-
cludes further extensions, and a message will come out describing
it when it is ready.

                Rick

info-cpm (12/23/82)

>From LIN@Mit-Mc  Thu Dec 23 02:00:27 1982
To: info-cpm@BRL
Via:  Mit-Mc; 23 Dec 82 2:58-EST
Via:  Brl; 23 Dec 82 3:10-EST
Via:  Brl-Bmd; 23 Dec 82 3:58-EST

given the name of zcpr, this question may be silly, or just maybe
hopeful.  will zcpr run on an 8085?  (as in an 8085/8088 dual processor board)

info-cpm (12/24/82)

>From goldfarb.ucf-cs@Udel-Relay  Thu Dec 23 21:42:12 1982
To: Herb Lin <LIN@Mit-Mc>
Cc: info-cpm@BRL
Via:  UCF-CS; 23 Dec 82 20:45-EST
Via:  Udel-Relay; 23 Dec 82 20:44-EST
Via:  Brl; 23 Dec 82 21:08-EST
Via:  Brl-Bmd; 23 Dec 82 21:20-EST

ZCPR makes use of Z80 relative jumps, LDIR's, and some other assorted
Z80 instructions which won't execute on the 8085.  As soon as I
installed the Godbout dual processor in my system, I realized how much
I relied on ZCPR, so I hacked it to run on the 8085.

Since the program assembles under MAC, the authors used macros to
generate the Z80 opcodes.  I merely added a block move subroutine and
hacked the macros to generate 8085 instructions.  This results in an
increase in size primarily because of the tradeoff between two byte
JR's and three byte JMP's, so I had to eliminate some of the features,
namely JUMP and Go, plus optional hexadecimal constants.  I had never
used these features, so there wasn't any problem.

The big advantage of ZCPR, in my opinion, is that executable files can
reside in a "home" directory which will be searched no matter where you
are currently logged in (i.e., drive and user number).  Beyond that,
the expanded features are nice conveniences that replace some transient
utilities and make life with CP/M systems generally more enjoyable.

As I mentioned above, the hack is simple, but if anyone wants to save
the trouble of doing it themselves, I'd be glad to supply it to them if
they send me a self-addressed, stamped envelope, along with a disk.  If
you notify me by mail, I'll give you the address.  Alternatively,
someone could upload it to MC, but I can't FTP from here.

				Ben Goldfarb
				ARPA:  goldfarb.ucf-cs @ UDel-Relay
				uucp:  ...!duke!ucf-cs!goldfarb

info-cpm (12/24/82)

>From POURNE@Mit-Mc  Fri Dec 24 01:42:55 1982
To: goldfarb.ucf-cs@Udel-Relay
Cc: LIN@Mit-Mc, info-cpm@BRL
Via:  Mit-Mc; 24 Dec 82 3:12-EST
Via:  Brl; 24 Dec 82 3:25-EST
Via:  Brl-Bmd; 24 Dec 82 3:45-EST

One of these days I will have to send a disk.  Meantime I
talkeed to Godbout and that BIOS may be available soon.

Query: do you know precisely how I can download from ITS?  That
is, I have a system (MITE) trhat will capture files, even binary
files; but I do not know what commands will cause the ITS
systems to begin sending them in a continuous stream.
	Perhaps you are the wrong one to ask?

Best JEP

info-cpm (12/29/82)

>From rconn@BRL  Wed Dec 29 02:30:54 1982
To: Herb Lin <LIN@Mit-Mc>
Cc: info-cpm@BRL
Via:  Brl; 28 Dec 82 18:30-EST
Via:  Brl-Bmd; 28 Dec 82 18:38-EST

	ZCPR and ZCPR2 will not run on an 8085, altho many of the ZCPR2
utilities will.  "ZCPR" stands for Z80-based Command Processor Replacement,
and, running in the same amount of space as the conventional CP/M CCP,
ZCPRn contains some very tight Z80 code, particularly jump relatives,
which will NOT run on an 8080 or 8085.

		Rick