[fa.poli-sci] Poli-Sci Digest V2 #131

poli-sci (05/11/82)

>From JoSH@RUTGERS Tue May 11 16:35:43 1982
Poli-Sci Digest		    Wed 12 May 82  	   Volume 2 Number 131

Contents:	Voluntary School prayer (2 msgs)
		New Operating System Principles
		Another Irreversable and Unconscious Decision
		Request for Information -- "Chariots of Israel"

Date:  9 May 1982 2133-EDT (Sunday)
From: Gary Feldman at CMU-10A
Subject:  Voluntary School prayer

Voluntary praying in schools is legal, has always been legal, and will
always be legal.  The school day is filled with significant amounts of
"silent time", either as rest periods in the earlier grades, or as
home room and study hall in intermediate and high schools; teachers are
certainly not permitted to tell students "You may read, do homework, engage
in any other silent activity, but no praying."

The concept that Reagan and others are labeling "voluntary prayer" is more
properly called "endorsed prayer," with the following effect.  Instead of
saying "you may do any quiet activity," teachers will say "you may pray or do
any other quiet activity."  Thus prayer becomes elevated to an approved
activity, rather than one for which the government is neutral.

   Gary

------------------------------

Date: 10 May 1982 1030-EDT (Monday)
From: Robert.Frederking at CMU-10A (C410RF60)

	How can anyone seriously refer to Reagan's idea as "voluntary"
prayer in school?  There already is voluntary prayer.  If this wonderful
thing goes through, the child whose beliefs differ from the majority
gets the wonderful opportunity to be a social pariah by refusing to go
along with everyone else, or else betray the faith of his family.  I
thought Reagan was pro-family?  I guess he meant pro-main-stream family.
On another note, NPR pointed out that there are places in the U.S. where
the local majority is Buddhist.  I wonder how Jerry Falwell would feel
if his kid was pressured to go along with Buddhist prayers before school.

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 10 May 1982, 01:37-EDT
From: Michael Travers <MT at MIT-AI>
Subject: [MSS at SU-AI: New Operating System Principles....   ]

Date: 09 May 1982 1448-PDT
From: Mark Sherman <MSS at SU-AI>
From: Kirk Lougheed <Admin.Lougheed at SU-SCORE>
Subject: New Operating System Principles....

	The following item appeared in the IEE News dated April 1st, 1982.

	"BRITISH TEAM IN ECONOMICS BREAKTHROUGH"

	"A DRAMATIC NEW BREAKTHROUGH IN THE EFFICIENT USE OF LARGE-SCALE
	COMPUTING SYSTEMS HAS BEEN CLAIMED BY A GROUP OF BRITISH SYSTEMS
	THEORISTS.   EMBODIED IN A RADICALLY INNOVATIVE COMPUTER OPERATING
	SYSTEM, THE NEW BREAKTHROUGH, WHICH IS TO BE FORMALLY ANNOUNCED
	ON THE DAY OF PUBLICATION OF THIS ISSUE, PROMISES TO
	REVOLUTIONISE THE WHOLE CONCEPT OF COMPUTER OPERATION BY APPLYING
	TO THE PROBLEMS OF OVERALL SYSTEM CONTROL THE LATEST DEVOLOPMENTS
	IN ECONOMICS THEORY.

	To be known as the Total Optimisation of Resource Interaction
	concept (TORI), the new approach is aimed at solving one of the
	main problems facing those responsible for the efficient
	operation of large-scale computing systems and networks --
	that of ensuring that the computing resources available are
	shared between the various application programs so as to
	optimise the operation of the system as a whole.

		Algorithms

	Currently available systems all approach this problem of
	efficient resource sharing by the use of complex
	resource-allocation algorithms contained in a large and often
	cumbersome piece of software known as the operating system.
	Behind these resource-allocation algorithms there is
	invariably a more or less complicated concept of pre-planned
	priorities so as to maximise throughput, with each functional
	unit in the system being loaded according to its capacity and
	each application program being allocated system resources
	according to its needs.

	It is exactly this concept of pre-planned priorities that has
	been so dramatically rejected by the TORI researchers.  Such a
	concept, they point out, leads to gross inefficiencies in
	practice, not least because of the considerable overheads that
	are introduced by the need for detailed administration of all
	system resources by the central operating-system software.
	Only the applications programs 'owned' by the system's users
	actually contribute to its useful throughput, the TORI
	theorists point out, so all overheads introduced by the
	central (or 'publically' owned) operating software represent
	nothing more than a waste of system resources.

	`The trouble with conventional operating systems', a TORI
	spokesman pointed out, `is that they spend too much time
	worrying about how to allocate system throughput and not
	enough on how to maximise it.  What we need to do in future is
	to spend less time in working out how to divide up the 'cake'
	and more on how to make it bigger.'

	The concept that the TORI team intends to use in order to
	fulfill this aim was revealed recently at their research
	centre in the Buckinghamshire town of Milton Friedman.  The
	idea is essentially to scrap the concept of resource-allocation
	by pre-planned priorities and to replace it by one of
	allocating resources by direct transactions between
	applications programs and the system's functional units.

		Transaction Units

	In practice, each applications program will be credited with a
	number of transaction units, and each functional unit will be
	given a target number of transaction units that represents how
	much it needs to 'earn its keep'.  From then on the whole
	operation of the system will be based on direct 'buying and
	selling' of system resources on what the TORI group calls a
	'free-market' basis.

	As an example, if under this system two applications programs
	simultaneously require access to, say, a line printer, their
	order of execution will be decided not by the 'public sector'
	operating system but by direct bidding within the 'private
	sector'.  Thus the line printer will make itself available to
	the applications program that is able and willing to 'pay' the
	greatest number of units.  As a result, the TORI theorists
	point out, the most productive programs will automatically be
	allocated the most system resources, optimising throughput for
	the system as a whole.

		Overheads

	An important additional advantage of this approach, according
	to its proponents, is that it allows the 'bureaucratic'
	overheads of the operating system to be greatly reduced.  In
	fact, this 'public sector' software can be scrapped almost in
	its entirety, with nearly all its remaining functions being
	'privatised' by being incorporated into competing
	private-sector utility programs that can 'hire themselves out'
	to other private-sector programs.

	`All this is much more than just theory', pointed out the TORI
	spokesman, `in fact, the TORI principles have been under test
	on a major national system for nearly 3 years now.'  When
	asked whether the predicted large-scale benefits had yet been
	achieved in practice, the spokesman added that certain
	external factors had as a matter of fact meant that the real
	benefits had not been achieved so far, but there was now every
	sign that what he called `the upturn' would occur in the very
	near future.

		Leaked

	Privately, however, an informal group within the TORI team
	have made known their doubts about whether the radical new
	operating scheme is actually capable of achieving the
	predicted results.  Known as the Weak Economic Theory Subgroup
	(WETS), this part of the TORI team has 'leaked' a number of
	disturbing facts about the actual operation of the TORI
	experiment.

	According to these leaks,the TORI system has been beset with
	recurrent problems of what is known as 'inflation', which
	apparently involves the system's functional units constantly
	increasing their transactional thresholds or 'prices', while
	applications programs constantly demand greater transactional
	budgets or 'wages'.  In addition, there is said to be a
	growing problem of the system's functional units being unable
	to find applications programs capable of keeping them fully
	occupied, leading to them being designated as Disconnected
	Operations  List Entries, or being 'put on the DOLE'.  In
	terms of memory units alone, this phenomenon of resource
	'unemployment' has apparently reached the unprecedented
	proportion of over 3MBytes.

	As well as these doubts raised by the WETS researchers, the
	TORI team also faces competition from a number of other
	groups.  Their main competitor is in fact still very much
	committed to the concept of resource allocation by pre-planned
	priorities, but is said to be having continued difficulties in
	making the component parts of its system work together
	convincingly.

		New Approach

	These problems within TORI's main competitor have recently led
	to a new approach being promoted by a recently formed joint-
	venture development between an existing small team and a new
	'spin-off' operation headed by four ex-members of the main
	anti-TORI group.  This new joint venture development has
	recently been attracting a great deal of interest as a result
	of its claims to be able to give everyone the best of both
	worlds, but it has been noted that, everytime its spokesmen
	are asked to explain their system's resource-allocation
	policies in detail, no real explanation is forthcoming.

[Interestingly enough, I proposed a "free-market operating system"
 last year in earnest as a way of coordinating networks of micros
 in non-static configurations (the system was called MicroEconomics...)
 A friend and I did a bit of work on the concept before he left
 Rutgers, and from this state of ignorance it actually appears
 feasible, Thatcher's free market lip service and Britain's lousy
 economy to the contrary notwithstanding.  --JoSH]

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 10 May 1982 14:58-PDT
Subject: Another irreversable and unconscious decision
From: norm at RAND-UNIX

I believe that American Society is in the process of unconsciusly
committing itself to an irreversable restructuring based on an undesigned
network -- a single national (nay, international) net composed of many
overlapping nets of computers.  I believe that as this undesigned net
evolves, all of us and our institutions will change to exploit and
accomodate it.  I belive that these changes will make it impossible to
"change our minds" about the use of this net.

I don't assert that this development is good or that it is bad.  I do
assert that we, as a society, should try and understand what we are doing
and decide if we want to do it.

An example of a technology which society irreversibly adapted without any
consideration by any of the members or institutions of society of its
irreversibility and of the wisdom of making that irreversible step, is the
institution of the privately owned automobile and supporting institutions,
including the road networks, the fuel distribution systems, motels, etc.,
and all the other private and government institutions associated with the
private passenger automobile.  I do not argue that the adoption of the
privately owned passenger automobile as one of our principal modes of human
transportation was wise or unwise.  I only argue

(1) that its adoption was essentially an irreversible "decision."
Irreversible not in that if society wanted to badly enough the "decision"
could not be reversed, but that we could not now do so without large-scale
economic, political and social dislocations which, as a result, make the
"decision", in effect, irreversible.

and

(2) this "decision" was made by society without very much of any deliberate
awareness by the members of society, by any of the professional thinkers of
the society, or by the institutions of the society that we were going down
a path of no return.  Each individual and institution took very minor steps
which seemed reasonable and which did not seem very dramatic at the time.

and

(3) this decision changed the way we court, work, play, sleep, buy,
sell,...  It effected everthing from our sexual mores to our legal system.

Another example is the recent revolution in retail credit generated by the
bank credit cards.  This application of computer technology has, I believe,
irreversibly revolutionized and changed the nature of retail credit.
Again, I do not argue as to whether or not the decision was a good one or a
bad one.  I only argue that it could not now be reversed without shocks to
the nature of our economy, and that the acts constituting the decision to
go to this type of retail credit system were never considered by society as
to their wisdom as to whether or not they were worth going to, etc.

We have not yet committed ourselves to the reorganization of society which
will depend on everybody and every institution being on line.  Do we want
to?  What would the consequences be?  How do we decide if we want to travel
down this one way road?

------------------------------

Date: 10 May 82 20:39:40 EDT  (Mon)
From: Steve Bellovin <smb.unc@UDel-Relay>
Subject: request for information

Sir Harold Wilson has just had published a book entitled "Chariots of
Israel".  Has anyone on this list read it?  It's a subject he's obviously
qualified to write on, and the book appeared to be copiously footnoted --
but historical works by politicians are not noted for historical veracity.
Comments, anyone?

		--Steve

End of POLI-SCI Digest
	- 30 -