[fa.poli-sci] Poli-Sci Digest V2 #156

poli-sci (07/26/82)

>From JoSH@RUTGERS Sun Jul 25 22:25:24 1982
Poli-Sci Digest		    Mon 26 Jul 82  	   Volume 2 Number 156

Contents:	Theory of Elections (2 msgs)
		Theory of Israel and Lebanon (2 msgs)

Date: 20 Jul 1982 2018-EDT
From: Margot Flowers <Flowers at YALE>
subject:  voting systems article in Sci Am

In the June 1976 Scientific American there is an article "The Choice
of Voting Systems" by Richard G.  Niemi & William H.  Riker.  It is
summarized as:

     Any voting system can lead to paradoxical results
     where losers are preferred to winners and winners
     become losers.  In certain situations, however, some
     voting systems are better than others.

It's also available as offprint number 689.  It's been too long since
I've read it so I can't make any particular recommendation, but I
remember liking it.

                    -- Margot Flowers
                       Yale AI Project

------------------------------

Date: Saturday, 24 July 1982  19:04-EDT
From: Leonard N. Zubkoff <Zubkoff at Cmu-20c>

To anyone looking for more details on the paradoxes of voting theory and the
reasons why a "perfect" voting system doesn't exist, I heartily recommend the
following two books:

An Introduction to Positive Political Theory
William H. Riker & Peter C. Ordeshook

The Theory of Political Coalitions
William H. Riker

		Leonard

------------------------------

Date: 21 Jul 1982 1856-PDT
Subject: Israel and Lebanon (continued) (long)
From:  Mike Leavitt <LEAVITT at USC-ISI>

    When a discussion degenerates to name-calling and slurring,
it's usually a good idea to just quit and walk away.  I'm sure
than most people on this list recognize such tactics (by now) as
substitutes, rather than supplements, for intellectual content.
This issue, unfortunately, is probably too important to be
decided by superiority in verbal abuse, so I'll just try to
reply briefly to the substantive items in Arens's response.

        I claim that what Leavitt is saying is nonsense, as
        anyone who has heard Israeli representatives recently
        knows.  The second and third myths are almost literal
        quotes from an interview with the Israeli ambassador to
        the US on ABC's Nightline two (or three) days after the
        beginning of the invasion, and if Leavitt doubts the
        first and fourth I will make the effort to come up with
        precise sources for them too.  I trust that is not
        necessary.

    Whether the claims Arens discusses are or are not straw men
should now be perfectly clear.  I don't believe that his
response, simply reasserting that they are real Israeli claims,
in any way addresses my demonstration that, with one exception,
they simply weren't.  The exception is the issue of whether 25
miles was the original goal.

    The controversy is in the implication that 25 miles was
never the true goal and that Israel was being devious in its
initial claim.  The proof offered for the deviousness is, again
by implication, that Israel went further than 25 miles.  My
point was (and remains) that an equally good explanation
(better, unless you are systematically suspicious of Israel), is
that the original goal of 25 miles was met so easily that they
set a new goal:  driving the PLO out of Lebanon.

        Leavitt says:

        "Israel was invaded by the armies of half-a-dozen
        countries when it became independent.  All but one of
        those countries continue to claim to be at war with
        Israel, and a few of them have never recognized any
        cease-fire in the war."

        Everything in this paragraph except for the fact that
        Israel was invaded by the surrounding Arab states after
        its establishment is either misleading or simply false.

        In 1949 after talks held in the Greek island of Rhodes,
        all the warring countries reached armistice agreements
        with Israel.  .  .  .  No other country in the region is
        in a state of war with Israel.

    My nearest dictionary defines an armistice essentially
identically to a cease-fire: "a temporary suspension of
hostilities by agreement of the parties, as to discuss peace; a
truce [American College Dictionary]".  <enter flame mode> An
armistice is not peace.  An armistice followed by 34 years of
every nonmilitary warlike act a group can do to another group is
not peace.  An armistice followed by an international economic
boycott is not peace.  An armistice followed by massive economic
contributions to those who continue the military fight, day in
and day out, is not peace.  An armistice followed by policies
that absolutely deny travel and communication between the
citizens of the countries is not peace.  An armistice followed
by half-a-dozen episodes of military hostility on the same
issues as the first episode is not peace, either.  It is war.
Does anyone else on this list take seriously the claim that "no
other nation in the region is in a state of war with Israel?"
<leave flame mode>

        In another reference to the PLO Leavitt writes:

        "The PLO's goal has always been the elimination of the
        state of Israel -- nothing more and nothing less.  [...]
        When it talks about Israel's giving up the "occupied
        territory" it is referring to the entire state of
        Israel.  [...] Although they have been given innumerable
        opportunities to do so, the leadership of the PLO has
        never denied it".

        Again, this statement demonstrates ignorance of the true
        nature of the PLO.  Proponents of Israel complain that
        the WRITTEN documents of the PLO demand a "secular
        democratic state in all of Palestine" (what's so bad
        about that?), and that oral pronouncements to the effect
        that the PLO will agree to a separate state are
        meaningless in the absence of written changes.  This
        point is arguable, but no one can claim that PLO leaders
        have never acknowledged the possibility of peaceful
        coexistence with the state of Israel.  .  .  .

    I guess the only response is to ask what all of this has to
do with the PLO's goals.  To acknowledge the possibility of
peaceful coexistence publically, for consumption in Israel and
the United States, after getting badly beaten on the
battlefield, is neither a very strong statement (compare it to
Sadat going to Jerusalem) nor is it really very convincing when
others in the PLO (George Habash and many others) say "never"
the next day.

        "The PLO, a government without a state, has a budget
        approaching $1 billion a year, with most of that going
        to non-military programs.  One Western diplomat, a
        commercial officer in his embassy, said several months
        ago that the PLO was the second-largest employer in
        Lebanon, behind only the Lebanese government."

    The fact that the PLO has had to become a government in the
area it controls politically is an interesting point.  Okay, so
I will modify my statement:  I agree that an important PLO goal
is to become the government in the territory that is now Israel.
I don't believe that this seriously alters my point about what
it is the PLO wishes to do first:  destroy the state of Israel.

        Now look, I lived in Israel myself for 17 years and I
        know what life is like there.  I assume some of the
        other readers of this letter have visited Israel.  All I
        can say is that either Leavitt is crazy or else he's
        knowingly lying.  No other way about it.  Sorry.

    Actually, there is another way:  I could have been mislead
by all of the reports that have come back about armed life in
the towns and settlements along the border and the vigilance
necessary in the big cities.  I'm sure that many Americans who
have not visited have been exposed to such stories, both from
friends and family as well as from the various media.

    But in claiming perfect, unbiased, knowledge of the true
nature of life in Israel, Arens definitely makes a claim that
one must listen to.  I guess the only, much weaker, claim from
personal experience that I can counter with is that in my mere
seven years of research and teaching international relations
(not at Berkeley, I'm afraid--just a few Big Ten schools),
nearly all of what I have discussed above was accepted as
reality without serious question.  But, I do admit, arguments
from personal experience do sound rather weak compared to
analysis; on the other hand such arguments are an improvement
over unalloyed name calling.

    Enough for now.

    Mike Leavitt <LEAVITT at USC-ISI> .

------------------------------

Date: 21 Jul 1982 19:57:56-PDT
From: Kim.arens at Berkeley
Subject: More on Israel and Lebanon

As for The New Republic piece -- It doesn't make the Israeli point at all.
All it states is that the PLO violated the cease fire in ways that caused
the commander of UNIFIL forces to warn them that may lead to an Israeli
invasion.  Big deal.  The point is that it had been widely known for months
that Israel was only searching for an excuse to invade Lebanon.  The PLO
violated the cease fire on certain occasions, AS DID THE ISRAELIS.  UNIFIL
reports which were mentioned in the US only in an article in the Christian
Science Monitor (in late March I believe) claim that Israel was violating
the cease fire agreement then by moving tanks into areas of southern
Lebanon. The Israelis were trying to get the PLO to respond so that
they could invade Lebanon with what might seem like a just cause.  When this
didn't work, more serious provocations were used -- such as the bombing of
targets inside Lebanon.  Three such attacks on separate occasions did the
trick. The PLO fired back.  And Israel invaded.

J C Pistritto quotes an Israeli commander who says that in Sidon and Damour
the Israelis found enough weapons "to equip an army of a million men".  I
think that the exaggeration speaks for itself.  He goes on to claim that
"Over 400 tanks were discovered in PLO hands, thousands of anti-aircraft
guns, even including SAM 6 and 7 missiles" -- this is ridiculuous almost
beyond belief.  The number of tanks the PLO had was on the order of TEN
(10).  A force of 400 tanks on one front is a very formidable one even in US
military terms.  You can't hide so many tanks, and you can't lose them.
Where did they fight?? Where are they now???  This is, purely and simply, a
lie.  And so is the claim of the existence thousands of anti-aircraft guns
and SAM 6 and 7 missiles.  I follow the Israeli press very closely, and even
they have never claimed that the PLO had SAM 6 missiles.

Lets face it:  Any person who, like Pistritto, makes such idiotic claims
should be hard pressed to explain how it is that Israel managed to conquer
all of southern Lebanon in a couple of days.

And as for the undisputed fact that the PLO had SOME weapons in Lebanon, I
don't think there is anyone around who would doubt their need to be prepared
to defend themselves from agression, is there?  For those who have
forgotten, let me repeat:  despite all the various weapons the PLO had in
southern Lebanon, NOT A SINGLE SHOT WAS FIRED FROM THERE INTO NORTHERN
ISRAEL DURING THE 10 MONTHS OF THE CEASE FIRE, EXCEPT IN RETALIATION FOR
HEAVY ISRAELI BOMBINGS.  I would appreciate it if some of the supporters of
Israel here addressed this fact.

And Leavitt is at it again...
    "Israel's policy of slowly making it more difficult to withdraw was
     explicitly chosen to try to convince the Arabs that time was not
     on their side"
Hmmm...  An unfortunate side effect of this policy is that it also makes it
more difficult for Israel to withdraw.  I see no reason to doubt Begin's
(and many other Israeli officials') numerous statements about Israel's
intention to remain in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip for good.  The
Israelis have already taken over more than 30% of the land in the West bank,
and have settled some 40,000 Jews there.  They have plans of moving
hundreds of thousands of more Jews there in the next few years.  Nothing of
this magnitude was ever done in the Sinai.

    "Israel's post-1967 area was a much more defensible area than the
     pre-1967 one.  In the West Bank (Judea and Samaria) the length of the
     border was reduced, as it was in the Gaza; a defensible natural border
     was substituted for a line on a map in the Sinai".
In the West Bank the border was replaced with a meandering stream (the
Jordan river) which is much longer than it would seem to one looking at a
large scale map.  Nothing could be further from the truth than saying that
in Gaza the border is now a natural one as opposed to a line on the map --
the border, as agreed to with Egypt recently, is simpy a line drawn on the
colonial British maps.  It even cuts through HOUSES in the town of Rafah.
And let's not forget what we have BEHIND these 'secure' lines.  A million
and a half Palestinians ruled militarily with an iron fist in a country of
about 3.5 million Jews.  And Leavitt calls this security.

    "Jordan never had sovereignty over the area west of the Jordan--they
     simply had occupied it at the termination of a war that they started.
     The justification for Israel staying there is simply that it belongs to
     Israel as much as it belongs to anyone".
In fact, in an agreement made in 1948 between Ben Gurion and the king of
Jordan, Jordan and Israel divided between them the areas which were supposed
to become the Palestinian state according to the 1947 UN partition
resolution which established the Jewish state too.  So Leavitt is
implicitly claiming that a large part of pre-1967 Israel is held by Israel
unjustly.  I wonder what Israeli officials would think of this...  In any
case, all this does is make it abundantly clear that the only people who
have a just claim to this area are the Palestinians, who have always been
living there and have been denied their right to self determination -- by
Jordan AND by Israel.

Enough of this.  The important thing that must be understood is that:

Israel wishes to retain the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, and in order to do
so must crush any Palestinian opposition, indeed -- any Palestinian national
sentiment.  The PLO embodies these national sentiments and is viewed this
way by the great majority of Palestinians, and so must be eliminated.  THIS
is the real reason for the invasion of Lebanon, and the only explanation for
what is going on there and in the other occupied territories.

Yigal Arens,  UC Berkeley

End of POLI-SCI Digest
	- 30 -
-------