[fa.poli-sci] Poli-Sci Digest V2 #158

poli-sci (07/30/82)

>From JoSH@RUTGERS Thu Jul 29 17:42:49 1982
Poli-Sci Digest		    Fri 30 Jul 82  	   Volume 2 Number 158

Contents:	Habib and Bechtel (2 msgs)
		Elections (3 msgs)
		Mit area announcement
		Read on, Scarecrows
		Gun Ban in Frisco
		Anarcho-Propertarian Science Fiction

Date: 27 July 1982  08:32-EDT (Tuesday)
From: K. Shane Hartman <Shane at MIT-XX>
Subject:  [BECHTEL: WDOHERTY at BBNG]

    [And to think that we used to worry about division of church and state...]

(1) Considering that some of the best (in some sense) negotiators in the past
have been drawn from the ranks of business, I see no particular evil in a
man's being employed. The academe rarely provides effective negotiators
[my opinion].

(2) Habib's involvement with Bechtel was *not* related to the middle
east as the NY Times article stated. No particular reason for suspecting
conflict of interest on Habib's part.

(3) Habib was recalled from retirement (he has suffered 3 or 4 heart
attacks). He has been serving as a special envoy *without* pay for the
last month (his combined salaries exceeded the allowed maximum). [Boston
Globe]

Shane Hartman

------------------------------

Date: 28 Jul 1982 0529-EDT
Subject: BECHTEL
From: WDOHERTY at BBNA

Excerpt from WIN mag [August 15, 1982 p.15 article by Patrice Wagner]:

"In a society based on production for profit, the nuclear and military
build-up is extremely profitable.  At least half of the defense budget
will go to well-connected defense corporations, McDonnell Douglas,
General Dynamics, Boeing and Rockwell, who benefit from nuclear
proliferation.  The manned bomber, the ABM, and the MX are dollars in
their war chests, and they have a long-range stake in perpetuating the
arms race.  Half of this country's nuclear power plants, for instance,
were built by the Bechtel corporation.  Defense Secretary Caspar
Weinberger was general consul and Vice-President of Bechtel and George
Schultz, Alexander Haig's replacement as Secretary of State, was
president of Bechtel.  More than one-third of Bechtel's projects are in
the Middle East, Africa and Asia.  So perhaps it isn't so surprising
that the US government spent one thousand three hundred billion dollars
of taxpayers money between 1946 and 1976 on defense while the standards
of living and well-being of Third World people declined considerably."

So far we have Cappie, Schultz and Habib's paws in the Bechtel jar of
honey...  Who's next?

Also of interest in the same article:

"More than half of all of the people killed by police in this
country...are black and Hispanic....

"...According to Ruth Sivard in 'World Military and Social
Expenditures', of the 125 or more military conflicts which have occurred
since World War II, 95% have been in developing countries.  In most
cases foreign forces have been involved, with Western powers accounting
for 79% of the interventions.  The United States government has been
responsible for a number of these 'undeclared wars,' which have the
express purpose of halting people's movements towards independence.

"Most of the nuclear threats the United States have made have been
against the Third World.  They offered the French the use of nuclear
weapons at Dien Bien Phu; during the 1954 CIA-engineered coup in
Guatemala, President Eisenhower deployed nuclear bombers in Nicaragua as
a backup; in 1958, the US sent 14,000 troops with nuclear rockets to
Lebanon.  The US government considered using the Bomb against the
peoples of Korea and Indochina many times and it has been US private and
government interests which have been responsible for equipping South
Africa with nuclear technology."

[End of excerpts.]

				Will Doherty (WDOHERTY@BBNG)

------------------------------

Date: 27 July 1982  09:40-PDT (Tuesday)
From: KING at KESTREL
Subject: elections (see Poli Sci of 7/27, Feldman's article)

	It wouldn't be all that difficult to maintain an "N
endorsements gets you a seat, <M endorsements loses it" if a few small
changes were made and if forgeries and thefts of documents could be
prevented.
	A person who has no outstanding endorsements could only vote
on well-defined election days (which could take place every few months
- not may people would actually do their voting on election days).  At
the polling place you would receive a card that would say who you had
endorsed.  They would not that you had an active endorsement, but of
course they wouldn't know who it was.
	Whenever you wanted to revoke your endorsement, you would go
to City Hall and put your card into a machine that looks like an
automatic teller machine at a bank.  It'll invite you to make a new
endorsement.  If you don't do so it'll give you a blank endorsement
card which you can "revoke" to make a new endorsement; if you do, you
get a new real revocation card.
	All blank endorsements expire next election day.

	The reason I don't propose to give everyone a blank
endorsement card when they register is that they could be purchased.
I judge this less likely to happen with endorsement cards, because
they represent the holder's active desires.  Although purchasing can
be more effective with these endorsements then with an ordinary secret
ballot (where a bought vote can be cast contrary to the purchaser's
wishes), the price to make people give up active desires would
probably be expensive.  In addition, this problem could possibly be
solved by technology; say that an uninvertible hash encoding of your
retinal pattern was put on your blank (and true) endorsements.  Then
all you would need is the machines (although it would probably be a
good idea to hold an "election day" the first time for education, and
every few years to correct unavoidable small errors that would creep
into the system and to allow for people who lose their cards).

------------------------------

Date: 27 July 1982  12:48-PDT (Tuesday)
From: Gary Feldman at CMU-10A
Subject:  Re: elections (see Poli Sci of 7/27, Feldman's article)

I'm glad you think your proposal is not difficult-- we must be using
different scales for measuring difficulty.  I trust banking machines because
I have all the information I need (namely, the dollar amounts of my
transactions) to verify the machines.  Obtaining fraud proof voting machines
may not be terribly hard, but convincing me (and everyone else) that they
are indeed fraud proof (within reason) is very hard.

   Gary

------------------------------

Date: 27 July 1982  12:51-PDT (Tuesday)
From: KING at KESTREL

	The "machines" need be little more complex than a locked box,
for holding revocation cards, plus a simple mechanical mechanism for
punching an endorsement card (which goes into the hopper) and a
revocation card (which goes to the voter) simultaneously.  We trust
existing mechanical voting machines, and they are actually quite
complex.  (Originally Edison tried to sell these machines and people
who ran elections wouldn't buy them because they were too fraud-proof!
This story may be apocrophal but you believed it when you read it,
didn't you?)  There would be a rule that any registered candidate
(they would have to be registered if for no other reason than to give
them a number of some sort) could inspect the machine at any time.

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jul 1982 14:11:35-EDT
From: wdh at mit-cipg
Subject: Palestine/Cyprus/Lebanon teach-in

The Hellenic Student's Association of MIT/Harvard and the
Palestine-Lebanon Crisis Coalition are presenting a teach-in
on Saturday, July 31 at 7pm in MIT Room 54-100.  For more info
call 484-3701.

I saw the poster for this, and thought folks in the Boston area
might find this interesting.
-Bill

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jul 1982 16:12:25-EDT
From: mhuxm!rabbit!sola!frodo at CMU-EE1 at CMU-10A
Remailed-from: WOHL at CMU-20C

A Marxist Analysis of The Wizard of Oz

A newly emerging nation (Dorothy) and its loyal peasantry (Toto)
are seeking a rational social order (Kansas).  Advised by the
bourgeoisie (Munchkins), they take the capitalist path (Yellow Brick
Road).  They meet a labourer (Tin Man) destroyed by class oppression
(rust), a soldier (Cowardly Lion) exploited by imperialism and a
philosopher (Scarecrow) beguiled by Ayn Rand.  They are confused by
religious dogma (poppies) and attacked by the US (Wicked Witch of the
West) and its CIA agents (flying monkeys), but defeat them with the
cool clear logic of Marxist analysis (water).  They seek the answer
from capitalist economics (the Wizard) but discover it to be an empty
facade.  With the selfless aid of the USSR (Good Witch of the North)
they discover that the true answer has been with them all along--the
dictatorship of the proletariat (ruby slippers).

Maybe Walter Winchell was right when he said that Hollywood was full
of communists!
29-Jul-82 08:10:58-EDT,3865;000000000001
Date: 29 Jul 1982 0804-EDT
Sender: WDOHERTY at BBNG
Subject: SF HANDGUN BAN
From: WDOHERTY at BBNG
To: poli-sci at RUTGERS
Cc: wdoherty at BBNG

>From the Boston Globe AP story of 7/28/82:

		SAN FRANCISCO GUN BAN BEGINS

Residents have 90 days to turn in pistols to avoid a 90-day jail term

San Francisco--A city handgun ban took effect today, giving citizens 90
days to turn in their guns or face a 90-day jail term.

Residents may still own rifles and shotguns, and the ban allows pistols
to be kept by shopkeepers, private detectives, policr officers and
others who have a need for them [???].

Critics of the ban say it would only encourage San Franciscans to swap
pistols for rifles.  Sponsors have advocated the prudence of keeping
handguns out of the reach of both criminals and law-abiding citizens.

Three lawsuits challenging the ban are pending.  Plaintiffs include the
National Rifle Association, four city supervisors and a 77-year-old
woman who says she's afraid to leave her home.

Gun control has been controversial here since 1978, when Mayor George
Moscone and Supervisor Harvey Milk were shot to death with a handgun by
Dan White, a former policeman and ex-supervisor.  White is serving a
seven-year, eight-month manslaughter sentence.

The city-county Board of Supervisors voted 6-5 on June 30 to enact the
ban.  Supervisor Carol Ruth Silver, one of the dissenters, said she'll
put her handgun in storage outside the city and will buy a shotgun.

"My home will not be defenseless.  I want every criminal in town to
know that," she said yesterday.  "I will tell you that all of the bums
and all of the teenage crooks and muggers who hang out in my
neighborhood will not give up their guns."

City Attorney Don Kates said "there are a lot of elderly residents in
the city that are not going to turn in their handguns."  The 77-year-old
lawsuit plaintiff, for example, needs the gun to defend herself, he
said.  She is identified as Jane Doe and involved in the law suit filed
by the four supervisors and about 30 citizens.

Other plaintiffs represent a "broad spectrum" of San Francisco residents
including a black minister, homosexuals, Hispanic activists and
blue-collar workers, he said.

National Rifle Association members contend state law pre-empts the city
in firearm regulation, spokesman John Atkins said in Washington.

"We find it very doubtful that very many San Franciscans are going to
turn in their handguns," he said.

District Attorney Arlo Smith has said he won't prosecute anyone until
the state appeals court decides whether the ordinance is constitutional.

Mayor Dianne Feinstein, who was given a gun when she succeeded Moscone
in office, plans to hand her .38-caliber Smith and Wesson over to Police
Chief Cornelius Murphy on Friday.

Feinstein proposed the ban this spring after a similar measure took
effect in Morton Gorve, Illinois.  She was backed by Supervisor Richard
Hongisto, a former sheriff.

Hongisto said the ordinance will keep handguns out of the hands of
law-abiding residents, which he called a good ideea.

"Non-criminal people account for about three-quarters of the deaths with
handguns," including homicides and suicides, he said.

A Bellvue, Washington, group called the Citizens Committee for the Right
to Keep and Bear Arms started an "I Hate San Francisco" campaign to keep
tourists and conventions from the California city.

The committee is providing financial backing to anti-gun control
politicians in California, said executive director Mike Kenyon, who
called the handgun ban an "unnecessary infringement on the civil rights"
of city residents.

Brought to you by Will Doherty (WDOHERTY@BBNG)

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jul 1982 1748-EDT
From: JoSH <JoSH at RUTGERS>
Subject: new "hard" sf

Is there some law that libertarian science-fiction writers have to
have the middle name "Neil"?  Believe it or not, that's what first
caught my eye on the cover of "Alongside Night", by J. Neil Schulman.
I bought it on the reccomendation of Jerry Pournelle (to "anyone
interested in freedom") on the cover, and then realized what it
was.
What it is is a good first novel.  Although I was unable to read
it with an unbiased eye, I believe it stands quite well on its own as
an adventure novel.  Indeed, though one would expect any awkwardnesses
to stem from forced references to his libertarian-inspired background
scheme, they don't: about the worst writing I can find is where he
describes the Weaver stance twice, making it somewhat distracting the
second time around.  Indeed, libertarian references can be marvelously
subtle: at one point the protagonist is given a sample cigarette by
the proprietor of a cannabis shop--on the cigarette is embossed a
small gold dollar sign.  And it is entirely believable that the
proprietor would have done that with full knowlege of his antecedents,
when you do catch the reference.
So even taken straight at face value, this is better than average
fare.  Though not as spellbinding as Heinlein, it would be enjoyed by
anyone who liked early Heinlein.  But, like J.P., I would especially
reccomend this one to "anyone interested in freedom".  Its working
out of the principles of an "anarcho-propertarian" organization
which is still surrounded by a hostile State is more firmly grounded
in reality than some libertarian writing, which seems to assume that
the State has to vanish for any of this stuff to work.  This is the
best book I've read this year.
--JoSH

End of POLI-SCI Digest
	- 30 -