[fa.poli-sci] Poli-Sci Digest V4 #95

poli-sci@ucbvax.ARPA (10/23/84)

From: JoSH <JoSH@RUTGERS.ARPA>

Poli-Sci Digest		     Tue 23 Oct 84  	    Volume 4 Number 95
There are some intelligent people in Washington.
More of 'em in Kansas.
		    --Alf Landon
Contents:	None of the Above
		New Deal

Date: Thursday, 18 October 1984 00:01:38 EDT
From: Hank.Walker@cmu-cs-unh.arpa
Subject: Re: they all suck

An election year does not go by without much handwringing over voter apathy.
The standard reason given is that all the candidates a) suck, b) are all the
same, or c) it doesn't matter who gets elected anyway.  A "None of the
Above" voting option is currently available.  It's called voting for someone
else.  In most states there is a spectrum of candidates to choose from.  And
you can always write in Gus Hall or Lyndon LaRouche.  If a voter really
feels strongly about the suckiness of the candidate choice, then he will get
off his butt and do something about it, like get active in politics.  If
not, then he obviously doesn't care very much about it, and so politicians
correctly ignore these concerns.

[If everyone who thinks the choices suck (ie who doesn't vote at all now)
 took your advice, Gus Hall or Lyndon LaRouche would be president, and
 God help us then...  --JoSH]

------------------------------

Date: Thu 18 Oct 84 16:14:17-PDT
From: LUBAR%hplabs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Subject: re: none-of-the-above voting

Since I was one of the people complaining about my vote being
meaningless, I want to answer Jerry.  Yes, it would help me to be able
to vote for 'none of the above'.  I was seriously considering a
write-in, so disillusioned am I with my choices, but friends convinced
me that my voice would not be heard if I write in.  My valiant protest
would be lost, meaningless, as it is if I simply don't vote.  So given
my choices, I will vote *against* the candidate I like least.

This reminds me of an idea a friend of mine had for reforming our
method of elections.  We were remarking what a high percentage of
people seem to vote, as I do, against a candidate rather than for one.
My friend's proposal may not be practical, but it sure sounded
appealing to me.  He suggests we allow votes to be positive or
negative.  A candidate's total would be the difference between
positive and negative votes.  In a strictly two-party system, there
isn't much difference, but it's morally more satisfying to vote
against someone I hate vs. voting for someone I merely dislike.  And
if there are small third parties or write-ins, it gives them a better
chance, since a major party candidate could actually end up with a
negative total, making a write-in with a small positive total the
winner!  My friend made his proposal even less practical (and more
appealing) by suggesting that to win, a candidate would have to score
a certain minimum percentage (I believe he suggested 10-15%, which I
think is quite high under this scheme), and any candidate scoring less
than a certain percentage (0% being an obvious option) would be
disqualified from that office for that election.  If everyone is so
disqualified, then we have to find new candidates and start again.
Well, I admitted it wasn't a very practical suggestion.  But that
would really let us send a message to those party leaders!  I wonder
if they would ever get the message and start giving us more real
choices?

------------------------------

Date: Thu 18 Oct 84 10:41:14-PDT
From: Wilkins  <WILKINS@SRI-AI.ARPA>
Subject: republicans and taxes

I would feel a lot better about the Republicans liking lower taxes if they
also liked lower government spending. However, a $260 billion deficit beats
(by half an order of magnitude) any deficit FDR, LBJ or any democrat ever ran
up (and we're not even at war).  Anyone can be in favor of no income as long
as they can keep spending. Too bad the rest of us cannot mortgage the future
of others to live high off the hog now.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 18 Oct 84 16:25:58-PDT
From: LUBAR%hplabs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Subject: FDR and Reagan

To say that FDR and Hoover destroyed this country and Reagan (along
with those who follow) will save it, seems to me to put too much
emphasis on the people involved.  FDR instituted some programs to help
the country during a difficult time, with some difficult problems.
They were effective at the moment.  But they weren't 'uninstituted' as
they became unnecessary.  Politicians (and people in general) don't
think very long-term, and they tend to maintain the status quo.  If
Reagan undoes what FDR did, he will do it, no doubt, to solve what he
perceives are this country's current problems.  And he (and his
followers) will eventually establish a new status quo, by which time
the policies will be outdated and ineffective and even bring us
further along the path of destruction (but in a different direction -
there are many paths to destruction).  And they will be defended as
the status quo.

The problem isn't FDR or Hoover or Reagan.  It's that times change
faster than laws, and no one knows how to predict the future.

------------------------------

Date: 19 Oct 84 09:55 PDT
From: Kiewiet.pasa@XEROX.ARPA

Re:  Are you better off than you were n years ago, and 50% tax rate vs.
starving people

The Republican strategy "think tank" must have read Kiewiet's
"Macroeconomics and Micropolitics: the Electoral Effects of Economic
Issues" (U of Chicago Press), for they seem to have adopted these
theories into their current operations.

A recent poll (NYTimes I think) asked people questions along the lines
of:

Are you more worried about (a) some people not getting the welfare
payments they are enttitled to, or (b) some people getting more welfare
payments than they are entitled to?  Question B is of more concern to
most people, and those vote Republican about 5-1.

Are you more worried about (a) Communist takeovers in Central America,
or (b) the U.S. becoming engaged in a war in Central America.  More are
worried about (a) and vote Republican 6-1.

Lorraine

End of POLI-SCI Digest
	- 30 -
-------