[fa.poli-sci] Poli-Sci Digest V4 #96

poli-sci@ucbvax.ARPA (10/30/84)

From: JoSH <JoSH@RUTGERS.ARPA>

Poli-Sci Digest		     Tue 30 Oct 84  	    Volume 4 Number 96
Corsair, n.  A politician of the seas.
		    --Ambrose Bierce, in The Devil's Dictionary
Contents:	Deficits
		Politics

Date: Tuesday, 23 October 1984 14:59:30 EDT
From: Hank.Walker@cmu-cs-unh.arpa
Subject: Re: deficits

In a quadrillion dollar economy, our $169B deficit would be 0.0169% of the
GNP instead of the maybe 3.7% of the GNP it really is.  Clearly the size of
a deficit doesn't matter nearly as much as its percentage of the GNP.
Historical data other than GNP percentage is irrelevant (the current
percentage is higher than most previous deficits).

------------------------------

Date: 25 October 1984 00:37-EDT
From: James A. Cox <APPLE @ MIT-MC>
Subject:  republicans and taxes

Spending would be lower if Reagan had gotten all the spending cuts he
wanted.  Also, you have to realize that Congressional (mainly
Democratic) opposition to spending cuts has had a "chilling effect" in
Reagan's budgets.  Remember how the Congress reacted when Reagan
proposed entitlement cuts in 1981?  Remember how the Democrats
exploited it in the 1982 election (the commerical showing the
Republicans slicing up a Social Security card)?  How do you think that
affected Reagan's later actions?

Actually, total spending is no greater now than it would have been under
Carter's proposed budgets.  But under Carter, you wouldn't have gotten
the tax cut (okay, so it only offset other tax rises under Reagan--but
you would have been /worse/ off without it).

 - James Cox

------------------------------

Date: 23-Oct-84 22:39 PDT
From: William Daul - Augmentation Systems - McDnD  <WBD.TYM@OFFICE-2.ARPA>
Subject: The Candidates....

...I wonder if they vote for the lesser of two evils?  --Bi\\

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Oct 84 23:53:34 cst
From: Mike Meyer <mtxinu!ea!mwm@Berkeley>
Subject: Write-in Votes

In V4 #95, someone mentioned "You an always write-in..." Sad to say, but
this isn't true. In the state of Oklahoma, any marks on the ballot other
than check marks in the appropriate area are considered to be "mutilation",
and invalidate the ballot.

The reason I bring this up is that I'm curious if any other states have
similar (and unconstitutional, in my view) practices. Could you let
me know (by MAIL!) if write-ins are illegal in your state?

	Thanx,
	<mike
	mtxinu!ea!mwm@berkeley.arpa

------------------------------

Date: 29 Oct 84 13:48:22 PST (Mon)
Subject: Re: electronic democracy???
From: Martin D. Katz <katz@uci-750a>

   the whole POINT of a tax system is to spend your money on things that you
   don't want it spent on.

I agree with you, but would word it differently: I thought that the whole
point of a tax system is to charge everybody to support projects for the
common good.  This includes many things which one might support directly,
but equalizes the contributions and reduces the overall amount of decision
making effort.

To expand on the issue: It is my belief that "republican" systems of
government (not party politics) is based on this reduction of effort.  It
turns out that concentration of decision making effort reduces the total
amount of decision making and the total communication necessary. Some
quantitative political models indicate that the size of a representative
body should be about P^(2/3) for an adult population of P in order to
minimize the communication problems in government.

With electronic communication, it becomes possible for each of us to have
more input because the communication costs are reduced.  The problem is that
the communication costs for debate increase with the square of the number of
representatives.  It might be possible to double the size of the house of
Representatives, but a much larger body would find it very difficult to
communicate internally.

Other possibilities, such as questionaires are practical.  If there are
issues which each of us has an opinion on, then we can each notify our
representatives of our views.  The problem is cost: Assuming that it takes
only one hour a week for me to peruse the important news, an additional hour
to peruse the important governmental questions, and a quarter hour to vote,
this is a total of a quarter billion hours each week for 100 million people
to run the country.  On the other hand, with our representative system, the
federal government policy level (senate, house, the immediate staffs of
senators and representatives, and assistant secretaries and up in executive
branch) is only 2000-3000 people, for a total of less than 125000 hours, a
savings of a factor of 2000 over direct democracy.

In California we have 20 or 30 ballot measures put before the public each
year.  For the most part, these are poorly drafted, and complicated.  Many
of them are placed on the ballot by petition and opposed by the state
legislature.  I oppose those who want to eliminate the initiatives, but feel
that there has to be a better way.  The problem is that most voters have too
little time and training to properly study these measures before voting.
The result is private interests spending tens of millions of dollars in
advertising to coerce the public into voting one way or the other.  I don't
see much success in expanding this system.

I aggree that a proxy system would give the individual more clout, but
relative to the automatically assigned proxies, this clout is not
significant.  In fact, you probably have about 5000 times as much clout now
(if you consistently write your representatives) as you would with a proxy
system.

As to the individual assigning the fraction of his (or her) tax dollars to
go to each program, this could become like the California propositions.  Can
you imagine DoD running television ads: "Vote for a Strong US -- put all of
your tax money into defense."  We would wind up spending Billions on
advertising to try to convince the public that various services require
funding.  On top of that, just think of the effort to decide where to put
the money ... It's hard enough to fill out our taxes now, any serious
attempt at deciding how much to pay for each of dozens of programs would
take weeks.

One final point (I have been too long winded already): paying taxes to an
organization which then doles them out to programs is exactly what we are
doing now, except that we can't individually decide on the organization.  In
practice proxy system would probably be very similar to this scheme.

[If you simply want to reduce the communications costs, you should pick a
 dictator at random and have him make all the decisions... The greater
 communications costs of a direct vote system would in my opinion be a
 boon, not a bane.  The point is to reduce logrolling for pork-barrel
 projects.  Any representative body the size of Congress, however selected,
 would logroll as badly as it does.  --JoSH]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Oct 84 12:37:36 pdt
Subject: Re: No vote option
From: decvax!ittvax!dcdwest!sdcsvax!sdchema!randy@Berkeley

Rather than simply vote against candidates, I wonder how many of you would
be willing to run for office yourself?

I prefer to program computers myself, so the point is not that you should
go out there and run for office if you don't like the candidates (although
that may be what some of you should and will do).  Rather, I suggest that
the problem starts with the people (yup, you and me) who don't participate
more in government.  This newsgroup is a great way to get started, and my
attack is less directed against the members of this group, since it is a
wonderful way to engage ourselves.

What if people volunteered more of their time to the local government
offices (which would be difficult at first because they are not set up to
use volunteers for the most part except during elections)?

To the degree that our governments don't work, it is because we gave up
the running of our government to professional politicians and then stopped
supporting them.

I am interest in your responses, ideas, and thoughts about the above.
Please send mail to
	...!sdcsvax!sdchema!randy

[Personally, I consider running for office one of the most despicable forms
 of human behavior.  The reason that our governments don't work is that
 they are based on a fundamentally evil premise, that some people should
 be placed in a position of coercive control over others--essentially
 slavery writ large.  No social system based on this premise can prosper.
 To run for office is to lie, cheat, and steal in quite a literal sense.
 --JoSH]

End of POLI-SCI Digest
	- 30 -
-------