[fa.poli-sci] Poli-Sci Digest V4 #111

poli-sci@ucbvax.ARPA (12/21/84)

From: JoSH <JoSH@RUTGERS.ARPA>

Poli-Sci Digest		    Fri 21 Dec 84  	   Volume 4 Number 111

Contents:	Two Candidates For New Topics
		Wealth and Poverty

Date: Tue 18 Dec 84 11:40:07-PST
From: Terry C. Savage <TCS@USC-ECL.ARPA>
Subject: Designer Genes

An interesting topic for discussion: custom organisms. If research
with recombinant DNA continues its current rate of success, we will
soon (in an evolutionary sense) be able to design organisms with
almost any characteristics we want. What are the moral implications
of this? What restrictions, if any should be placed on the
use of these techniques? Our legal/moral systems make a big
distinction between animals and humans. What if that distinction
becomes entirely arbitrary? Some examples:

1) A great assembly line/janitorial beast might be somthing with two
   human hands, a couple of octopus tentacles, and the intelligence of,
   say, a dog.   What is the legal/moral status of this beast?

2) Closer to home, what about "humans" that have
   reduced intellects/emotions/"souls" a la Brave
   New World?

     In the not-too-distant future (20-50 years), it will be possible to
have a continuous spectrum of organisms from virus and other basic
things through humans, and more advanced things. It will be necessary
to define "humans" and "rights" in more operational terms, or
accept the fact that the distinctions and rights are entirely
arbitrary.

     Anyone care to take a stab at defining "human", given these
conditions?

TCS

------------------------------

Date: Tue 18 Dec 84 22:44:40-EST
From: FIRTH@TL-20B.ARPA
Subject: New Topic

May I raise a new topic for the winter solstice?

Exhibit A: US News & Word Report, 1984 December 24, p 65

	TAX SHELTERS.  Taxpayers claiming deductions for investments
	in tax shelters suspected of being abusive will find their
	refunds withheld until the Internal Revenue Service decides
	whether the shelter deductions are valid.

Exhibit B: Constitution of the United States of America, Amendments,
	   Article V

	No person ... shall be deprived of life, liberty, or
	property, without due process of law; ...

Can these two exhibits be reconciled?  Comments, please

Robert Firth

[I have an almost infinite faith in the ability of the Supreme Court
 to reconcile them... The Court has demonstrated a willingness to
 interpret laws to mean exactly the opposite of the literal meaning
 of the words of the statute, *explicitly admitting this*, in order
 to meet what they consider the "spirit" of the law.    --JoSH]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 84 20:34:13 est
From: Larry Kolodney <lkk@mit-eddie>
Subject: poverty stats.

THe following is resent from "another network".

-larry

From: glosser@ut-ngp.UUCP (glosser)
Subject: Re: A statistic on poverty
Date: Sat, 15-Dec-84 13:26:30 EST

In a recent article Alien (alien@gcc-opus) was trying to make
the claim that entitlement programs (especially food stamps)
where helping as far as the war on poverty is concerned. I will
agree with him in that sense, because without entitlements things
would be worse. However, when he makes the following statement about
including benefits (food stamps, etc.) when determining who is
below the poverty level (8.8% of the population below the
poverty level if benefits are included, 22% if not.) he shows
a great misunderstanding of what the issues are vis a vis the
incidence of poverty in this country:

>What does this mean?
>
>First, Poverty in the US is not as bad of a problem as
>some people would want you to believe.  Clearly, 8.5% is
>not as bad as 22%.  (Did you ever stop to wonder where
>those 22% were?  I mean, if there were that many, wouldn't
>you know a lot of them?)

First, it might enlighten people to see what the %'s of people
below the poverty level have been from 1970 through 1982 for the
total population as well as the white and black population:

              % of Persons Below the Poverty Level
(source Economic Report of the President - 1984 Page 252)

Year	Total	White	Black

1970	12.6	9.9     33.5
1971	12.5 	9.9	32.5
1972	11.9	9.0	33.8
1973	11.1	8.4	31.4
1974	11.2	8.6	30.3
1975	12.3	9.7	31.3
1976	11.8	9.1	31.1
1977	11.6	8.9	31.3
1978	11.4	8.7	30.6
1979	11.7	9.0	31.0
1980	13.0	10.2	32.5
1981	14.0	11.1	34.2
1982	15.0	12.0	35.6

Also, consider the following data for families below the poverty
line. (source Economic Report of the President - 1984 Page 252)

Where:

Total = Total % of all families in the USA
Female = Total % of all Female headed families in the USA
White = Total % of all White families in the USA
White F. = Total % of all White Female headed families in the USA
Black = Total % of all Black families in the USA
Black F. Total % of all Black Female headed families in the USA

                % of Families Below the Poverty Line

Year	Total	 Female	    White  White F.   Black  Black F.
1970    10.1      32.5       8.0    25.0       29.5   54.3
1971    10.0      33.9       7.9    26.5       28.8   53.5
1972     9.3      32.7       7.1    24.3       29.0   53.3
1973     8.8      32.2       6.6    24.5       28.1   52.7
1974     8.8      32.1       6.8    24.8       26.9   52.2
1975     9.7      32.5       7.7    25.9       27.1   50.1
1976     9.4      33.0       7.1    25.2       27.9   52.2
1977     9.3      31.7       7.0    24.0       28.2   51.0
1978     9.1      31.4       6.9    23.5       27.5   50.6
1979     9.2      30.4       6.9    22.3       27.8   49.4
1980    10.3      32.7       8.0    25.7       28.9   49.4
1981    11.2      34.6       8.8    27.4       30.8   52.9
1982    12.2      36.3       9.6    27.9       33.0   56.2

>From the above, issues such as what the poverty incidence
would be without food stamps, horror stories of people
spending all their entitlement money on soft drinks and hard
liquor, etc. detract from what I consider to be one of the main
issue associated with poverty in this country: The incidence
of poverty shows that RACISM and SEXISM is alive and well in
the United States!

In other words, when: roughly one out of two black female
headed households are below the poverty line; three times
as many female headed households as compared to male headed
households are below the poverty line (this also means three
out of ten female headed households as well); as well as three
tenths of the black population living below the poverty level,
something is seriously wrong!

Stuart M. Glosser

[This is a stupid, egregious, self-indulgent fallacy, which has been
 paraded as social dogma for so long that it has come to be considered
 proof of it merely to repeat it.  I am referring to the assumption
 that there is a causal link between prejudice and a low level of
 economic performance for a racial (or other) group.  This particular
 idiocy has been responsible for so much misdirected crusading
 that I feel duty-bound to call its name and point the finger of
 shame wherever I see it.     --JoSH]

------------------------------

Date: 19 December 1984 23:04-EST
From: Steven A. Swernofsky <SASW @ MIT-MC>
Subject:  wealth and poverty

Thank you for posting the statistics on wealth distribution, Larry.
Would you ask your sources to answer a question for me?  I have been
told that 80% of all people with incomes above $50,000 are registered
Democrats.  Is this true?  Or is it just someone's disinformation?

-- Steve

[ Moderator -- Please don't edit or append to this message.  Thanx. ]
$$

End of POLI-SCI Digest
	- 30 -
-------