[fa.poli-sci] Poli-Sci Digest V5 #2

poli-sci@ucbvax.ARPA (01/11/85)

From: JoSH <JoSH@RUTGERS.ARPA>

Poli-Sci Digest		    Tue 8 Jan 85  	   Volume 5 Number 2

Contents:	Supreme Court & Interpreting the Tax Laws
		Discrimination etc
		Designer Genes
		Robber Barons

Date: Tue, 8 Jan 1985  10:28 EST
From: Dean Sutherland <Sutherland@TL-20A.ARPA>
Subject: Firth, exhibits A & B

One thing which can be done about this is:

	WRITE YOUR CONGRESSCRITTER!!!!!

I know that the Supreme Court is not controlled by Congress (halleluia!), but
the IRS could be restrained by Congress if they were motivated to do so.  Since
there is likely to be a new tax bill on the floor soon, NOW is the time to let
your Senators and Representatives know how you feel!

They may not listen to you, but they certainly can't represent you if they
don't know what you want.

Dean F. Sutherland

------------------------------

From: ihnp4!utzoo!henry@Berkeley
Date: 9 Jan 85 16:18:46 CST (Wed)
Subject: Supreme Court vs. Constitution

> ...  The Supreme Court has shown
> that its interpretation of the Law will not necessarily correlate with
> the literal meaning of the text of the Law.  ...

If you want a really obnoxious example, consider that the Court has
upheld the legitimacy of conscription, which is a direct violation of
the Constitution's absolute prohibition of "involuntary servitude".

They couldn't even appeal to the spirit of the law on that one; they
had to argue (essentially) that the military constituted an exception.
(More specifically, they took the clause of the Consitution that permits
Congress to maintain a national army, interpreted it to have an implicit
"by any means necessary" clause, and resolved the resulting internal
contradiction in favor of conscription.  Glad I'm a Canadian...)

				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Jan 85 12:28:06 pst
From: Rick McGeer (on an aaa-60-s) <mcgeer%ucbkim@Berkeley>
Subject: black, female poverty...

	A recent submission gave the demographic breakdown of poverty in the
United States, concluding:

	>From the above, issues such as what the poverty incidence would be
	without food stamps, horror stories of people spending all their
	entitlement money on soft drinks and hard liquor, etc. detract from
	what I consider to be one of the main issue associated with poverty
	in this country: The incidence of poverty shows that RACISM and
	SEXISM is alive and well in the United States!

It seems to me that the author of this piece has confused cause and effect.
However, there are questions worth asking.  Some months ago, Mike Zaleski
offered a partial explanation for the feminization of poverty: he suggested
that large families (frequent conception) were largely responsible.

If the families in question (those headed by single black mothers) are in
fact relatively large, then the burdens of child-rearing are a much simpler
and more believable explanation than rampant racism and sexism.  So the
I think, anyway, that the real figure of interest is the size of
single-parent female-headed families vs household income.  Anybody know?

						Rick.

------------------------------

From: Laurinda Rohn <rohn@rand-unix>
Date: 08 Jan 85 15:33:04 PST (Tue)
Subject: Discrimination Statistics

From Lauri Rohn, rohn@rand-unix.ARPA

> JoSH's rebuttal to Martin Katz:

>[A statistical variation in racial representation among employees
> is presumptive evidence of guilt of discrimination, a felony under federal
> law.  By the 95% confidence test used, this makes 5% of employers
> felons by definition, even though they be absolutely colorblind.
> Much similar foolishness is part of the federal "civil rights" code (and
> more is part of the court decisions which interpret it).
>   .
>   .
>   .
> --JoSH]

Are you sure about the way they use the 95% test?  The intelligent way
to use this test would be to determine with 95% certainty that an
employer is NOT discriminating.  This would be done by comparing the
employer's proportion of, say, Latino employees versus the proportion
of Latinos in the general population.  This use of the test would then
let off approximately 5% of the employers who ARE in fact discriminating,
rather than condemning an innocent 5%.

					Lauri

[I'm not sure of the details of the statistical methods used, but I am
 sure that the test is taken as presumptive evidence of guilt, not of
 innocence.  --Even though this would seem to contradict "innocent until
 proven guilty"... statistics are considered "proof".    --JoSH]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 8 Jan 85 11:14:06-PST
From: Terry C. Savage <TCS@USC-ECL.ARPA>
Subject: Designer genes/discrimination

Statistics, etc.

     The first statistics course I ever took was kicked off by the prof
in essentially the following way:

     Most statistics you see are bullshit. The main objective of this
course is to teach you to spot the bullshit, and to see how statisitcs
can be useful if interpreted correctly.

     The main problem, of course, is the falacy of equating
correlation with causality. Did you know that 99% of all murderers
drank milk when they were young?

     The discrimination discussion misses an important point that I
think needs saying: Discrimination is OK!!! (when done by
individuals). If someone wants to hire only scantily clad
white jewish lesbians for there business, that's there business.
Same applies if they only want to hire WASP males. The
way to eliminate/reduce discrimination based on some characteristic
is to convince people (if you can ) that discriminating on that
basis is not in their interest. If that turns out to be
true, the free market will eventually demonstrate it to them
anyway.

     This position evolves from my strong belief that that government
should simply protect the society (whatever it is, however "good" or
"evil" it is), and should not engage in social engineering.

Designer genes:

     Two means of classifyinga being a "sentient" (which is essentially
what I meant when I said "human") were suggested in the responses
to my question:

     1) Some kind of "sentience" test for a species ( I assume "species"
        was meant when "race" was used)

     2) Once a species passes the test, all members are assumed sentient
        until proven otherwise.

     It seems to me that once a decent (or, at least, servicable)
test is developed, it should be applied to indiviuals. I
think a very good case can be made that the brightest chimps are more
(sentient/intelligent/"human") than the dumbest humans. If sentience
is the test (as I believe it should be) there are some chimps which
should have more "rights" than some humans.

     I think the best solution of all is to get away from the binary
view of rights (either you got 'em, or you don't), and develop a
spectrum of rights based on various factors. Level of sentience is a
good one. Level of contribution to the society may be another.

     I should mention that I don't believe in "rights" in the conventional
sense. When I use the word "rights", I refer to the agreements
society makes about how people should interact that are commonly reffered
to as rights, *without* the cosmic validity that is usually implied.

TCS

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Jan 85 10:16:19 est
From: ihnp4!leopard!ron@Berkeley (Ron Bach-25751)
Subject: Discussion on genes

	As another possibility people might want to read some of
John Varly's work.  He has created a universe where it is possible
to change parts at will, clone a body and then be transferred in to
it (resulting in essentially eternal life), and some other nice
benefits.
	There is no raceism, or sexism as sex and race can be changed
at will.  Almost every desease has been eliminated as a result of the
genetic engineering.

	Just some ideas that I thought might be use full, and an attempt
to point out some positive things about genetic engineering.

...{allegra|belcore|ihnp4|vax135}!leopard!ron	Ron Bach
   Rumors Mongered here.			Bell Communications Research
   These are my opinions not the management's.	331 Newman Springs Road
   They have to get their own.			Red Bank, NJ 07701

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jan 85 10:58:42 PST (Wednesday)
From: Hoffman.es@XEROX.ARPA
Subject: Defining human

A favorite passage of mine is copied below.  It's been lightly edited.

--Rodney Hoffman

**** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****

From Richard Rorty's book, "Philosophy and The Mirror of Nature":

Personhood is a matter of decision rather than knowledge, an acceptance
of another being into fellowship rather than a recognition of a common
essence.

Knowledge of what pain is like or what red is like is attributed to
beings on the basis of their potential membership in the community.
Thus babies and the more attractive sorts of animal are credited with
"having feelings" rather than  (like machines or spiders) "merely
responding to stimuli."  To say that babies know what heat is like, but
not what the motion of molecules is like is just to say that we can
fairly readily imagine them opening their mouths and remarking on the
former, but not the latter.  To say that a gadget that says "red"
appropriately *doesn't* know what red is like is to say that we cannot
readily imagine continuing a conversation with the gadget.

Attribution of pre-linguistic awareness is merely a courtesy extended to
potential or imagined fellow-speakers of our language.  Moral
prohibitions against hurting babies and the better looking sorts of
animals are not based on their possessions of feeling.  It is, if
anything, the other way around.  Rationality about denying civil rights
to morons or fetuses or robots or aliens or blacks or gays or trees is a
myth.  The emotions we have toward borderline cases depend on the
liveliness of our imagination, and conversely.

------------------------------

Date:  9 Jan 1985 1145-PST
From: Richard M. King <DKING@KESTREL.ARPA>
Subject: oil's "robber barons"?

	I understand that the main charge leveled against, Standard Oil is
that they pressured railroads with statements like "if you carry anyone
else's oil you won't get any of mine".

	Can someone tell me about some other charges, if any?

	Can anyone recommend reading that will support or refute this or
any other charge?

	Thanks in advance...

						Dick

End of POLI-SCI Digest