[net.music] Idle tracking solenoids and Kate Bush

jfp@unccvax.UUCP (James Price) (07/10/85)

/* And now, a word from our sponsor */

>From nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) Sun Feb  6 01:28:16 206

>> From: cgeiger@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (charles s. geiger)

>> Did Kate Bush blow up the UCB CS Dept.?

>Of course!  She understands completely that MIT is much better than UCB,
>and wants to help make the world a more perfect place.

   THIS HAS GONE TOO FAR. With all due respect to your excellence
in musical taste and interesting postings, this kind of dreck does
NOT belong in net.music. In fact, some individuals (who value their
disk space) feel as I do: that there is a pattern emerging:

3672:From: nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan)
       .
       .
       .  (52 lines later)
       .
       .

3855:From: nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan)

    In fact, of ALL net.music articles received at unccvax, Doug
Alan he himself has originated 104,557 bytes on the subject of
Kate Bush, of 388,062 total bytes received since June 26 at
Midnight, EDT.  This does NOT include the replies to Doug Alan
or for that matter, the replies TO doug alan BY doug alan, etc.
In short, you netlanders are supporting 26.9% (as/of 4pm EDT/NYT,.
June 10) of net.music on the behalf of Doug Alan.

     Look, guys, I'm all for anarchy and against censorship, but
clearly, most net users prefer a forum of useful discussion rather
than self amusement. I cannot control or would even presume to
control anyone else's First Amendment rights; so no flames, please;
BUT KATE BUSH IS JUST NOT THAT INTERESTING. UPI probably didn't move
this many bytes of stuff during the entire time the Beatles were
a band!!!!!!!!!

     Could you at least respond to postings which advance the
truth, rather than comment on the significance of the idle tracking
solenoid put on Kate's Ford Escort and the particular hue chosen
for the back cover of 'The Dreaming'?

(Whew. I feel much better now!)

James ('svoless') Price
Senior Engineer
DataSpan, Inc

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (07/12/85)

["Suffocated by mirrors, stained by dreams"]

From: jfp@unccvax.UUCP (James Price)

>>   From nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) Sun Feb  6 01:28:16 206
>>>     From: cgeiger@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (charles s. geiger)
>>>     Did Kate Bush blow up the UCB CS Dept.?
>>   Of course!  She understands completely that MIT is much better than UCB,
>>   and wants to help make the world a more perfect place.

> THIS HAS GONE TOO FAR. With all due respect to your excellence in
> musical taste and interesting postings, this kind of dreck does NOT
> belong in net.music. In fact, some individuals (who value their disk
> space) feel as I do: that there is a pattern emerging:

Okay!  I promise that in the future I'll never again respond to any bozo
who claims that Kate Bush blew up the UCB CS Dept.  I promise!  Those
two lines of response must have really eaten up the disk space.

> In fact, of ALL net.music articles received at unccvax, Doug
> Alan he himself has originated 104,557 bytes on the subject of
> Kate Bush, of 388,062 total bytes received since June 26 at
> Midnight, EDT.

Is a vote for net.music.fans?  Or what?

I bet that 80% of those bytes are in responses to people like you who
flame pointlessly and say nothing interesting because they can't cope
with the fact that other people might be interested in discussions that
they're not.  If you don't flame at me, I'm not going to flame back, am
I?

The other 20% is stuff that I'm interested in, and probably so are at
least the other 30+ people who enjoy Kate Bush's music that have sent me
mail about it.

> This does NOT include the replies to Doug Alan
> or for that matter, the replies TO doug alan BY doug alan, etc.

I can't help it if there are jerks out there who feel compelled to post
forgeries that look like they're from me.  When I find out about them
(Eddie doesn't receive them), isn't it my duty to point them out,
especially if they've insulted someone?

> Could you at least respond to postings which advance the truth,

I shouldn't have responded to you then... oh well.

> rather than comment on the significance of the idle tracking solenoid
> put on Kate's Ford Escort

I doubt that I'd ever comment on such a thing... (but I guess I just
have in a sense, haven't I? -- oh well....  what's an idle tracking
selenoid anyway?)

> and the particular hue chosen for the back cover of 'The Dreaming'?

I certainly haven't mentioned such a thing, but if the particular hue
(it's called "sepia") is relevant to the music, then why not talk about
it?

> (Whew. I feel much better now!)

Couldn't you just go bang your head on a wall or something?  Better yet,
become a Kate Bush fan, then you wouldn't get so upset...

			"Up and down its pristine cage
			 So the music, so the trial"

			 Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)