[fa.poli-sci] Poli-Sci Digest V5 #24

poli-sci@ucbvax.ARPA (05/30/85)

From: JoSH <JoSH@RUTGERS.ARPA>

Poli-Sci Digest		  Thu 30 May 85  	   Volume 5 Number 24

Contents:	Book review
		Scourge of the Spaceways
		For Their Own Good

From: JoSH@rutgers
Subject: book review

I've read a bunch of books recently which I haven't seen discussed
(but should be), so I'm introducing a book review "department"
to Poli-sci.  For a while.  And at random intervals.

The first book of interest is "Losing Ground: American Social Policy
1950-1980" by Charles Murray.  In 1950, the poverty level in the US
stood at roughly 30%.  With the increasing level of affluence, the
poverty level dropped so that in 1965, it was 13%.  By 1980, it had
plummeted to--still 13%!  What had happened, why had the poverty level
suddenly levelled off?

Murray examines the question in great detail.  First he devotes several
careful and well documented chapters to showing that this is really
what happened, "really and truly" and not merely the flash of some
doctored statistics.

Well, what had happened?  The answer is simple and painful: the War
on Poverty.  Murray is critically interested in the poverty programs
and their effect; although it isn't mentioned in the book, he was the
architect of some of those very programs.  He knew that the conclusions
would arouse a storm of controversy; so his arguments are low-key,
very carefully drawn, and well backed by evidence.

"Losing Ground" is a must for anyone interested in poverty
and social policy.

--JoSH

------------------------------

Date: Wednesday, 29 May 1985 11:19:28 EDT
From: Hank.Walker@cmu-cs-unh.arpa
Subject: Re: space pioneers

Ten people on a nearly self-sufficient space station and zillions of robots
is almost guaranteed to cost a lot less and make a lot more money, and
therefore is much more likely to get built, than a commune in the sky.  In a
few decades, there won't be that many people involved in direct
manufacturing.  People in space will always be expensive than people on the
ground.  Therefore the ratio of manufacturing robots to people in space will
be even higher than on the ground.  People will work in other industries,
like services.  But most services tend to require (some inherently) contact
with other people, and those other people will be on the ground.

I still haven't heard sound arguments about why 1000s of people in space
will be economically viable anytime in the next few decades.  I don't like
this situation, but I don't see how it can change.  It seems like the cost
of space robots will decline faster than the cost of space people, making
this situation worse, not better.

[I may be missing something here, but I think there is a logical fallacy
 in there somewhere.  The fact that there exists an A more likely than B
 does not mean either that B is less likely than without A, or that B is
 any other sense less desirable.  In fact I would claim that the possibility
 of space factories of any kind would *enhance* the likelihood of a
 viable colony.
 The thing to remember is that the purpose of a colony
 is different than that of a factory.  In the same analysis, compare a
 conventional factory to a suburban neighborhood.  The neighborhood
 doesn't make any money at all-- indeed, it absorbs money as people
 commute out of it to work in factories, offices, etc.  In simplest
 terms, the factory is a capital good, the neighborhood a consumption
 good.
 The driving force behind space industry is people who want to make
 money (and are willing to invest to do so);  the driving force behind
 a space colony is people who want to live in space (and are willing
 to pay to do so).  Like most non-political endeavors, the two are
 not only not exclusive, but are mutually beneficial.
 --JoSH]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 May 85 12:21:34 edt
From: research!grigg!ark

Two recent trends alarm me.

The first is the idea that people should be held responsible for
things they might have done, or almost did, but didn't do.

The second is that people do not have the right to run their own lives.

Either of these ideas alone would be bad enough.  The two of them
together scare the living daylights out of me.

Let me start with the first idea.  The process seems to go something
like this:  the legislature notices that people are doing X, which
is deemed undesirable, but difficult to control.  They also notice
that people who do X usually do Y first.  Y is something that is not
bad by itself, but it is easy to notice and control.  Therefore, in
an attempt to get people to stop doing X, they restrict Y.

For example:

	1. It is hard to stop people from injecting themselves
	   with heroin, so the government restricts the purchase
	   of hypodermic needles.  I remember that when I was a
	   child, my father had a hypodermic syringe around the
	   house.  He used it to inject water into the pin-block
	   of the piano, to prevent the wood from shrinking and
	   loosening the tuning pins.

	2. In some states, it is illegal to sell devices intended
	   to allow you to get into a car without using a key or
	   damaging the door.  I suppose the people who made those
	   laws have never locked their keys inside their cars
	   by mistake.

	3. Here in New Jersey, the penalty for drunk driving (for
	   a first offense) is a 6-month license suspension and
	   about $5,000 in fines, surcharges, etc.  Because of
	   the generally terrible mass transportation in this
	   state, losing your license may well mean losing your job.

The best recent example of the second idea is the seat belt legislation
sweeping the country.  People are required to wear seat belts because
they might get hurt if they don't.

Well, THAT particular justification can be used for detailed government
control of every aspect of our lives.  Students who watch television
get lower grades than ones who don't, so let's prohibit television.
Tobacco and alcohol are bad for you; ban them!  While we're at it,
let's go over all the foods you can buy and prohibit those that are
less beneficial than the rest!  What?  Not everyone agrees as to which
foods are good and which ones are bad?  No problem -- let's do it by vote.
This is a democracy, right?

Next time you see the government trying to do something TO people
because they claim it's good FOR them, ask yourself if the government
really has the right to do what they are proposing.

ps--
I have heard it said that a substantial number (40% sticks in my mind,
but since I don't remember where I heard it...) of fatal auto accidents
are really suicides.  This number sounds high, but it's what I recall.
Any comments?

End of POLI-SCI Digest
	- 30 -
-------