[fa.poli-sci] Poli-Sci Digest V5 #25

poli-sci@ucbvax.ARPA (06/05/85)

From: JoSH <JoSH@RUTGERS.ARPA>

Poli-Sci Digest		  Wed 5 Jun 85  	   Volume 5 Number 25

Contents:	BR
		Votes in Space
		Prior Restraint

Subject: Book Review: The Pentagon and the Art of War, by Edward Luttwak

Before reading this book, I would have agreed with you (anyone) that
$50 screws and $600 toilet seats constituted a major problem, and that
the Pentagon should institute major cost accounting overhauls.  After
reading this book, you will agree with me that such extravagances are
the most minor of symptoms of the *real* problem, beside which they
pale to insignificance--and that "major cost accounting" etc is the
*last* thing which should be done.

Why did it take US forces of 1500 troops (not counting supporting
personnel) three days to take Grenada from 22 Cuban regulars and
a bunch of conscripted construction workers?  Why did we "lose"
the war in Vietnam?

To anyone interested in political science as abstract systems
analysis, this book is a great exposition of how a system can
be structurally incompetent, *even though every single individual
in it is competent, well motivated, intelligent, ** and knows what
the problem is!!***   For those interested in the military
fortunes of the United States, it may help you to understand
why we seem to be getting less and less military oomph for
more and more money.

Luttwak is no peacenik or soldier-baiter.  He's author, among
other things, of "The Grand Strategy of the Soviet Union."
I personally don't think much of his proposed solution to the
problems he points out, but I don't know a better.  I believe
that "The Pentagon and the Art of War" is worth your time (and
money).

--JoSH

------------------------------

From: ihnp4!utzoo!henry@Berkeley
Date: 30 May 85 15:59:08 CDT (Thu)
Subject: desirability of voting

JoSH comments:

> ...  However, I'll be damned if I'll give it
> to a political entity (read: any organization in which voting occurs).
> I would suggest that a very loose collection of enthusiasts, a sort
> of market in which engineering groups, publications, shows and
> conventions burbled around "spontaneously", would have a much
> better chance of actually (a) lasting long enough to do some good,
> (b) coming up with viable designs, and (c) in the event of success,
> being the basis of a free society, than a rigid organization following
> "n-year plans".

While I share some of his misgivings (and agree with his later comments
about the desirability of clusters of smaller habitats rather than one
large one), I do feel impelled to point out one issue of organizational
dynamics.  A group with no formal organization, making decisions by
consensus, is much more easily dominated by a few aggressive people --
when decisions are by consensus, dissent is seen as counterproductive
obstructionism.  The purpose behind, say, "Roberts' Rules of Order", and
the whole formal machinery of voting that goes with it, is to give everybody
a voice and prevent a few vocal people from controlling the whole outfit.

Mind you, I'm not saying that this is necessarily bad.  I tend to agree
with the view that parliamentary bodies' accomplishments are directly
proportional to the degree to which they *are* dominated by small groups
of strong individuals.  (Of course, the accomplishments aren't necessarily
the ones most of the members want...)  But this augurs ill for a free
society as an end product.  If the loose collection of enthusiasts can
accomplish the desired result while remaining a loose collection of
enthusiasts, then it's OK.  If the task at hand is demanding enough to
require extensive joint efforts and close coordination -- I suspect that
early space colonization may be -- then ballot boxes may be a better idea.

				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

[I would *still* disagree, but, possibly to your surprise, by going
 to the opposite extreme.  I claim (and I'd really like to start a
 discussion over this) that if such a tight coordination is needed,
 a monocratic structure of some form is necessary.  A "democratic"
 structure is the last thing you want.  My concept of the market
 here is essentially a group of competing (voluntarily formed)
 monocratic structures in competition with each other.  This foils
 the primary disadvantage of monocratic rule, namely that you often
 get the wrong man (woman) on top:  those units fail and the others
 continue.  In a democratic structure, the strong personalities who
 would be the entrepreneurs in the market would spend their energies
 fighting each other rather than competing, a difference I would
 analogize with the difference between a barroom brawl and a footrace.
 --JoSH]

------------------------------

Date: Thu 30 May 85 14:44:40-PDT
From: Lynn Gazis <SAPPHO@SRI-NIC.ARPA>
Subject: restriction on harmless things (and more drunk driving)

I agree with you that the idea that people can't make decisions about
their own lives is dangerous.  When it comes to things which are not
bad in themselves, but are correlated with things that are and are
easier to control than those things, I am less sure.  I would like to
decide each case individually, depending on how high the correlation
is, how bad the thing to be controlled is (especially to people other
than the person you are restricting; that person can make his or her
own decisions, but not if doing so imposes disastrous consequences on
someone else without his or her consent), and how restrictive the law
being suggested is, rather than deciding a priori that no such laws
are ever justified.  I might be willing to be prevented from doing a
few harmless things if that restriction would make it much less likely
that I would be seriously injured by someone else, but not if the
restriction were broader and the risk more remote.

Your first two examples I would agree are bad laws.  I do not agree
about your third example.  I can use a hypodermic needle and choose
not to use heroin, so using a hypodermic needle isn't bad in itself.
I can not drive drunk without risking the lives and health of other
people.  I will allow that something is not bad in itself if a person
can, by exercising good judgement, avoid the bad consequences.  I will
not agree that drinking and driving, which unavoidably involves risks
both to yourself and to others who did not consent to that risk, is
not bad in itself just because some people are lucky enough to not
reap those consequences.  And I see no reason to allow other people to
risk my life and not punish them.  If it is not the government's
business to protect people from being injured and killed by other
people, then I don't know what is the government's business.  (Your
argument might, however, reasonably be applied to those efforts at
reducing drinking and driving by things like raising the drinking age,
rather than by punishing directly those who drink and drive.)

Lynn Gazis

------------------------------

 4-Jun-85 15:31:43-EDT,1089;000000000001
Date:  Tue, 4 Jun 85 15:26 EDT
From:  Mills@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject:  Re: seat belt laws flooding the nation.
To:  POLI-SCI@RUTGERS.ARPA

I to don't think seat belts should be manditory because they enhance the
user's safety.  However, I do support the laws on the following grounds:  A
person wearing a belt/harness is better able to control a car than
someone who is not.  In evasive emergency manouvers, the radical turns
etc.  can make it almost impossible to stay in front of the controls in
a usefull manner if not strapped in.  If a person is less able to
control their car, they are more likely to hit someone/thing.  If they
are more likely to hit me because of their choice not to wear a belt,
they are infringing on my rights.   A less justifiable argument is that their
recklessness increases my mandatory car-insurance premiums.

John Mills

End of POLI-SCI Digest
	- 30 -
-------