[net.news.b] 2.9 vs 2.10 - garbled inbound news

mp@mit-eddi.UUCP (06/03/83)

For the past 2 days, we've been getting quite a few (10 per day)
"Inbound news is garbled" errors.  We (and mit-vax) run 2.9, and our
neighbors run 2.10.  I tracked the problem down to 2.9's hread and
frmread routines (in header.c), which will return NULL if they don't
find a "From" (or "Path"), "Posted", and "Article-I.D." line in the
message's header.

Each offending message contained a "Message-ID" line in the header, but no
"Article-I.D." line!

The messages originate from various machines; possibly some machine in
the interim is stripping off the "Article-I.D." line.

I guess the easiest thing to do is include one offending message and
ask all the machines along the path to check if they indeed have an
"Article-I.D."  line in the header of their copy of the message.  Here it
is.  [this message is from mit-vax, not mit-eddie, by the way]

|From: %brl:HNIJ%mit-oz@BRL@sri-unix.UUCP
|Newsgroups: net.micro
|Subject: C for 6502
|Date: Mon, 30-May-83 04:06:00 EDT
|
|From:  John S. Labovitz <@brl:HNIJ%mit-oz@BRL>
|
|Does anyone know of a version of C for the 6502?  I remember hearing
|about Small-C ported to the 6502, but I don't know where or when.
|This is to be used on an Ohio Scientific computer, but I will accept
|anything for any 6502 machine.
|
|		Thank much,
|
|		John Labovitz,
|
|		HNIJ%OZ @ MIT-MC
|-------

The reason we don't run 2.10 yet is because I'm waiting for it
to stabilize.  Nobody here has the time to go installing every
proposed fix that comes along on the net.  It would be greatly
appreciated if a "bug-free" version were placed on decvax and ucbvax
in a week or so.

	Mark

chris@grkermit.UUCP (06/03/83)

I am the culprit.

I knew about the OLD flag, but never checked to make sure that it was
on in my defs.h.  I had assumed that it was on by default when the
system came out of the tar file.  I am recompiling now.

mp@mit-eddi.UUCP (06/03/83)

Even after Chris fixed his source, I still found some articles
being rejected as garbled.  It turns out that if any header line
is longer than BUFLEN chars, the article is considered garbled.  I increased
BUFLEN from 128 to 512.

You may want to modify xxit() as I did to stash INFILE
somewhere (e.g. /tmp) for later perusal if the status code is nonzero.

	Mark

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (06/04/83)

Article-I.D. and Posted are special headers to 2.10 - even if some
site strips them out, 2.10 will (internally) put them back in.
However, 2.10 only writes them out if OLD is defined.  Perhaps
your neighbors have OLD turned off, thus assuming that all their
neighbors run 2.10 or newer?