[net.news.b] Hack to reject articles duplicated due to site name mungeing

caf@cdi.UUCP (07/05/83)

Here is a quick temporary hack to allow duplicate articles to be rejected
even after they have had their ID's altered by places whose names will be
witheld to protect the guilty.

The basic tactic used here is to compare only the first eight characters
of the site name, but without modifying the information placed into
history.
235,236c
		if ((p=index(bfr, '@')))
			p[9] = 0;
		if (strcmp(bfr, iident)==0 ||
				oodent[0] && strcmp(bfr, oodent)==0) {

jim@uw-beaver.UUCP (07/06/83)

Caf@cdi's hack to reject dups when the message-id is mangled didn't
arrive here intact, but enough of it did arrive that I could see it was
intended for sites without DBM.  (Correct me if I'm wrong).

I have a set of hacks to store the old article-id in the dbm database,
while keeping the new message-id in the human-readable history file.
This should reject the dups for those of us with DBM.  It requires
changes to rnews, expire, and cvt.hist.  I will test this for a few
days, and if it seems to work, will post it.

jim@uw-beaver.UUCP (07/06/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site wjh12.UUCP
Posting-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site uw-beaver
Path:wjh12!genrad!linus!philabs!cmcl2!floyd!vax135!cornell!uw-beaver!jim