[net.news.b] duplicate messages

mp@mit-eddie.UUCP (Mark Plotnick) (07/19/83)

We've been getting duplicate messages lately.  Here are the various
reasons:

- when we switched from 2.9 to 2.10, the format of the history
file changed.  I didn't remake the history file, hence it had
entries such as "sri-arpa.3087".  When the same article came again,
its ID was "<3087@sri-arpa.UUCP>", and the duplication wasn't detected.

- Somebody's playing games with domains.  For instance, we got the
Toy window editor article twice.  Here are diffs of the 2 articles:
    2,3c2

Finally, sri-arpa seems to be having trouble with their clock.
We've gotten several messages (sri-arpa.3181 and sri-arpa.3081)
that appear to have been posted several days in the future!

	Mark

chris@umcp-cs.UUCP (07/21/83)

Suggestion to combat the domain-specification problem:

Have inews look for ".ARPA" or ".UUCP" (actually, to be precise, any
"."  after an "@", right?)  in the message-id.  If it's there, remove
it.  That way news will reject duplicate articles with different
domains (which will happen anytime sri-unix gateways to arpa and it
somehow filters back).

It shouldn't be difficult, just a few lines in inews's history-lookup.

				- Chris
--
In-Real-Life:	Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci
UUCP:		{seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!chris